TON Forums | Classifieds | Gallery | Links | Weather | Home   || OEM parts & online schematics || Cycle Gear
TON Logo
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#37324 - 03/20/03 07:06 PM Re: EZ start campfire [Re: RockHopper]
KeltWitch Offline
Gang Member

Loc: Lewisville, TX
Jeepers,

There are members of the RRDR that need to read this post. They'll definitely pack up and head out with y'all.

Makes me nervous.....

#37325 - 03/20/03 07:42 PM Re: EZ start campfire [Re: KeltWitch]
RockHopper Offline
CTTA President

Loc: www.austintrials.com
The devil is in the details:

Earlier it was mentioned that a "half can of gasoline" was used... He meant that the 12 oz. can is actually cut in half so the can is fully OPEN on top... then only a small amount of fuel is poured inside..

Another great trick for starting fires (and a safer one) is to use deisel fuel. Deisel has a "flash point" (temperature at which a liquid gives off ignitable vapors) much HIGHER than gasoline. Flashpoint of GAS is -45 degrees. That's "minus." So, gasoline is ALWAYS giving off ignitable vapors. Deisel doesn't give off ignitable vapors until it reaches about 145 degrees... So, you can pour deisel over your logs, let it soak in a minute, and then light it up (it won't go "whooosh") you'll have to hold the match until the deisel starts, it takes a few seconds... in a couple of minutes you will have a GREAT fire... As always, be careful.. use common sense.. keep unused fuels away from all ignition sources..

#37326 - 03/21/03 07:23 PM Re: EZ start campfire [Re: RockHopper]
fastmonstr Offline
Gang Member

Loc: Austin
I just rub 2 sticks together.

#37327 - 03/21/03 07:43 PM Re: EZ start campfire [Re: fastmonstr]
Dave Offline
AMSA Gang Boss

Loc: Spicewood
Growing up in East Texas and camping deep in the piney woods....my dad would aways find "pine knots" on the ground around the base of big pine trees. He would take these pine knots which are very hard, pine resin concentrated pieces of pine branches....and splinter them up with a hachet. He would light a small pile of these splintered pine knots and stack oak hardwood on top. Pine knots burn like they have been soaked in fuel (the pine resin)....a natural kindling. They smell good when you take the hatchet to them too! Works every time.

#37328 - 03/22/03 06:26 AM Re: EZ start campfire [Re: Dave]
Bobby Administrator Offline
Head Honcho

Loc: Spring, Texas

Lighter Pine....that's what it's called in Louisiana.

There's a spot in the tree, usually down in the middle right below ground level before the root ball starts....and I would guess inside some knots....where there is lighter pine.

You can tell it by the familiar kerosene or light fuel smell. It really does work well.

I've known some backwoods boys who would carry a stick of lighter pine about 1" x 1" x 10" with them in their backpack, in the truck, every where they went....just in case. I have seen a sliver half the width of a pencil and about as long burn for 10 minutes or more and fire up a campfire long enough to get the kindling going...without any other fuel or pine needles or other hassles.

Now, how you get it is the tough part....it ain't sold at Academy...although I don't know why not!

#37329 - 03/22/03 06:46 AM Re: EZ start campfire [Re: Bobby]
RockHopper Offline
CTTA President

Loc: www.austintrials.com
There is something you can get at Academy.. or REI... it's a tube of firestarter... shaped like a toothpaste tube... you just put down a few inches of the gel starter and throw some kindling over it and there you go...

Excellent for camping, backpacking, etc..

#37330 - 03/22/03 07:22 PM Re: EZ start campfire [Re: RockHopper]
Hoop Offline

Loc: Beaumont TX
how about magnesium firestarters, also available at Academy, for you wimps who don't like gasoline in a can?

#37331 - 03/24/03 10:46 PM Re: EZ start campfire [Re: Hoop]
Chris Offline
Veteran Lunatic

Loc: Salado, TX
Better yet- camp with your parents in their RV!

No- I have seen Dad "start" campfires and waterheaters and many thuings over the years- Best advice- stay away from Herb in this process. Luckily he has never been hurt- just singed and blow back before-

I think I'd rather go to acadamy anyday than the hospital....

#37332 - 03/25/03 06:47 PM Re: EZ start campfire [Re: Chris]
Chris Offline
Veteran Lunatic

Loc: Salado, TX
By the way- with all you firemen- any cool firemen calanders out there?

#37333 - 03/26/03 07:58 PM Re: EZ start campfire [Re: Chris]
JonathanXR Offline
TON Member

Loc: North Dallas, TX
Well, I would suggest a fifth of Ever Clear and a nice mullet.
First: Douse you mullet with the Ever Clear
Second: Light up a Kool Menthol and inhale deeeeeply
Third: Watch your mullet ignite
Fourth: Stop, Drop and Roll in the fire pit
Fifth: Wah-Lah, you have fire, and you don't have a mullet anymore, so DOUBLE BONUS man!

Later,
J

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Texas Offroad Network
Sponsors & Partners

KTM OF NORTH TEXAS / SLM RACING - 2260 W. Pioneer Parkway - Arlington, TX 76013 - 817-275-2228

KTM OF NORTH TEXAS / SLM RACING - 2260 W. Pioneer Parkway - Arlington, TX 76013 - 817-275-2228

TJ's Cycle - 6208 North Lamar - Austin, TX 78752 - 512.453.6255

Cycle Parts Warehouse - www.cyclepartswarehouse.com

TSCEC Website

Texas 4-H Youth ATV Safety Program

The RiderDown Foundation - Helping Riders Up

Texas Offroad Network
Affiliate Programs
American Trails
Locations of visitors to this page
Outdoor Hub