TON Forums | Classifieds | Gallery | Links | Home  
TON Logo
Newest Members
JamesBot, RobertUrish, Jamesacark, TrevorTeand, Bford96
23185 Registered Users
Who's Online
0 registered (), 68 Guests and 24 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
23185 Members
50 Forums
38023 Topics
248899 Posts

Max Online: 677 @ 03/29/21 12:24 PM
Search

Bike For Sale
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#507983 - 07/07/11 04:23 PM Fanny Pack Basics by Dick Burleson
Lumberjack Moderator Offline
Trail Blazer

Loc: Cedar Park, TX
FANNY PACK BASICS (By Dick Burleson)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dual-sport riding requires you to be as self-sufficient as possible. In some ways, dual-sport riders must be better prepared to cope with problems on the trail than enduro or hare scrambles riders who can count on support at pit stops during the event.

Because of this basic difference, the kind of tools and spares a rider carries should be specifically organized for each type of event. In all cases, though, you want to carry as much as you may need, but no more. I prefer to use a fanny pack for carrying my "stuff," for a number of reasons.

First, when fitted correctly, the weight will be carried on the seat of the machine while the rider is sitting, no by the rider himself. Second, a fanny pack doesn't interfere with rider movement on the machine, and is less cumbersome than other types of luggage. Third, a fanny pack can be swiveled around to the front for easy use, and removed quickly for bigger jobs.

A fanny pack prepared for a hare scrambles race will have the minimum tools and spares, because riders have access to major tools at the pit area. When it comes time for dual-sport riding, however, you must be prepared to return from whence you came. The most important addition to the basic race pack is flat-tire-fixing equipment.

I use different compartments of my fanny pack for different types of spares. The little zippered pouch inside is great for spare nuts, bolts, and chain pieces. The big outside pouch is for gloves, flat-tire-fixing stuff, handkerchief, flashlight and snacks. I use the zippered belt pockets for my compass and Leatherman multipurpose tool on one side, license and money on the other. For water, I often carry a small plastic bottle inside the fanny pack, but on longer rides canteens are the way to go. (I use a camelbac)

It really is amazing how much can be fixed on the trail with very few tools or spares. I sometimes rob nuts or bolts from somewhere else on the machine to jury-rig (we call it "MacGyver") things back together to get home. Like a sturdy pair of boots and a good helmet, a well prepared fanny pack can make the difference between an epic adventure and a nightmare.

BASIC RACE PACK:
1. Universal wrench. Fits front and rear axle nuts, spark plug socket and a few other nut sizes.
2. Spark plug socket wrench.
3. Assortment of combination wrenches: 8,10,12,14mm.
4. 5 and 6mm Allen wrenches.
5. Small needle-nose Vise Grip.
6. 10 nylon zip ties.
7. Spare chain link and master link(s)
8. 5, 6, and 8mm nuts.
9. Clean handkerchief.

DUAL-SPORT EXTRAS:
10. Three Tire Irons
11. Tire pump or CO2 system and pressure gauge
12. Tire patches, glue and scraper
13. Spare 3.00 x 21 tube (can be used in both front and rear tires in emergency)
14. Multipurpose tool, such as a Leatherman
15. Flashlight
16. Matches
17. Compact Compass
18. Spare gloves
19. Blistex or other lip protector
20. Water
21. Snack
22. Detailed map of area
23. Drivers license
24. Cash

EXTRAS AND OPTIONS TO DICK BURLESON'S DUAL SPORT TOOL KIT
- Sturdy Rope or Tow Strap
- Earplugs, Aspirin, Eyedrops, Medication, Sunscreen
- Compact First Aid Kit
- Small container of Dish Soap (for seating tires and washing hands)
- Hooded sweat shirt, Baseball cap, Bandanna
- Sturdy Paper Towels (for clean up, and TP)
- Length of Electrical Tape, Duct Tape, Safety Wire
- Glove Liners
- Rain Jacket (for unexpected showers and cold)
- "Throwaway" type camera (with Flash)
- 3 Foot length of fuel line (for fuel transfer)
- Small container of chain lube
- Spare levers, clutch perch, compression release, etc.
-- "Quicksteel" (for patching holes in cases(MS Racing))

KEY POINTS
Be certain, for example, that your axle nut wrench actually fits your axle nut. Same with plug wrench. Have EXACT spare master links for your chain. Any goofy special tools required for trailside repairs on your particular bike? Replace tired cable, chain, tires, or missing hardware prior to the ride or suffer later. Learn how to fix a flat in the comfort of your garage, not a mosquito-laden trail. Stay to the right on all trails and fireroads to avoid an ugly head-on. Learn to be resourceful, self-reliant, and knowledgeable about basic bike repairs and trailside fixes.

HAVE FUN!

#507990 - 07/07/11 07:56 PM Re: Fanny Pack Basics by Dick Burleson [Re: Lumberjack]
Noonanator Offline
Gang Member

Thanks for posting Larry,
one very key point I see is correct; exact master link.

I broke a chain very far from anywhere a couple of years ago in Moab, Utah. The master link, I had in my pack, was just a little bit too small to get the clip on it. I struggled for an hour trying to get the link to work with limited tools on the trail. No way would it work. So about to give up and cry, cuss and pray( crisis moment for sure), a stray rider came by with the correct sized link. Took me two minutes to fix the chain with new link and we headed back to camp.

Still don't know how I had the wrong size link in my pack? Now I carry two spares( one for stray riders on the trail)

Bobby N

Edited by Noonanator (07/07/11 07:57 PM)

#507995 - 07/07/11 10:43 PM Re: Fanny Pack Basics by Dick Burleson [Re: Noonanator]
Lumberjack Moderator Offline
Trail Blazer

Loc: Cedar Park, TX
Steve Smith once told me to do all your maintenance with your fanny pack. Do EVERYTHING. Then you know you have what you need.

It will be a hassle, but better not work in the garage than out in the middle of nowhere!

Preparing to run away from home! smile

#508010 - 07/08/11 10:00 AM Re: Fanny Pack Basics by Dick Burleson [Re: Lumberjack]
Noonanator Offline
Gang Member

Where ya going Lumber? Only problem with carrying everything you need, it gets kinda heavy

Bobby

#538476 - 06/20/12 01:26 PM Re: Fanny Pack Basics by Dick Burleson [Re: Noonanator]
jstepter Offline
TON Member

Loc: Spring Branch (Hill Country)
Quote:
"Where ya going Lumber? Only problem with carrying everything you need, it gets kinda heavy"

The bike is heavier to push if you dont have what you need.

As mentioned above, "work out of your fanny pack" at home in the garage a couple times. you will figure out what is missing or needed.

Cant stress this part enough...
Carry ANYTHING that is special to your bike. Others may have tools. but YOUR Plug or YOUR Masterlink may be different from what they have.

I think the most important item is the "Tow Rope" if all else fails it is a MUST HAVE item. I carry the long half of 12' tie down, not the buckle end. It also gets you up cliffs, over HUGE slimy rocks, down ravines, out of mud bogs, and yes, you can tow a broke bike too...

#538498 - 06/20/12 06:24 PM Re: Fanny Pack Basics by Dick Burleson [Re: jstepter]
Boban Offline
Gang Boss

Loc: floatin high in the clouds
i bring a come-along strapped to bars,the only time i ever needed em was b4 i carried 'em,kinda sux havin to leaf ur bike in the middle of nowhere down on a mountain side overnite...ropes help alot but some have to much static and hard to pull a bike up a mountain side

#538504 - 06/20/12 09:29 PM Re: Fanny Pack Basics by Dick Burleson [Re: Boban]
Irishcoffee Offline
Veteran Lunatic

Loc: TEXAS
Thought to self,--- don't go where Boban goes.

#538525 - 06/21/12 09:55 AM Re: Fanny Pack Basics by Dick Burleson [Re: Irishcoffee]
Spermy Administrator Offline
Veteran Lunatic

Loc: Buda, just south of weird
also if you have a group, you can split up the weight of the tools and carry more tubes, etc.

you can take a wrench or tire tool and wrap duct tape around the middle several times. this allows you to carry some duct tape without the bulky roll.

safety wire should be added to the basic pack.

Spermy TORCS 611
Patty 611's number 1 fan
Drex TORCS 4
Scout carrying on the 611 tradition

#538532 - 06/21/12 11:15 AM Re: Fanny Pack Basics by Dick Burleson [Re: Spermy]
Dave Moderator Offline
AMSA Gang Boss

Loc: Spicewood
Don't forget to carry some cash...you can get yourself out of all kinds of trouble with some crisp $20s.

#538539 - 06/21/12 02:41 PM Re: Fanny Pack Basics by Dick Burleson [Re: Dave]
Spermy Administrator Offline
Veteran Lunatic

Loc: Buda, just south of weird
dave, i thought you only carried one's! lots of one's....

Spermy TORCS 611
Patty 611's number 1 fan
Drex TORCS 4
Scout carrying on the 611 tradition

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Dave, Lumberjack, Maddog 

Texas Offroad Network
Sponsors & Partners

TXTEAMM - 830-612-3607 (cell) 210-912-1516 -- txteamm1@gmail.com width=

Texas Offroad Network
* We Support *

Texas 4-H Youth ATV Safety Program