TON Forums | Classifieds | Gallery | Links | Weather | Home   || OEM parts & online schematics || Cycle Gear
TON Logo
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#361803 - 07/14/08 12:08 AM Sticky on how to tell if you are on a private road
nujac Offline
TON Member

Loc: Comal County
It would be nice to have a sticky post on how to tell if you are on a private or county road in the different counties in Texas. For example it seems that around the hill country the red street signs with only one blue address sign are normally posted has a private road. But if the red street sign has more than one blue address sign it can be driven on. I think I read somewhere that as part of the new EMS guide lines that if it is was a private shared road it was to be turned over to the county for easy access. I do not know this for a fact and it would be nice to know what is legal.

In east Texas does anyone know how to tell if a forest road is open to the public. I was riding around Toledo Ben a few weeks back and was often trying to figure out what was legal. Over there it seems people are able to lease land from the forest service for a deer lease off of the forest service roads but I am not sure once they have it leased is it off limits to the public.

#361804 - 07/14/08 04:06 PM Re: Sticky on how to tell if you are on a private road [Re: nujac]
Irishcoffee Offline
Veteran Lunatic

Loc: TEXAS
In the Toledo Bend, Sam Rayburn area the forest rangers make up their own laws and regulations on the fly. Whatever suits their needs and prejudices are fine and are backed by the fed judge in Lufkin. Be warned.

#361805 - 07/17/08 01:11 AM Re: Sticky on how to tell if you are on a private road [Re: Irishcoffee]
nujac Offline
TON Member

What is wrong with the State of Texas. I just got back from a week of back road riding in Colorado around Crested Butte. I was in a 4x4 SUV along with dirbikes, ATVs and Jeeps. It seemed to be one big happy family and the local forest service seemed to be helpful to everyone. Also evey hotel room in Gunison was filled up.

Just think what what happen to Jasper, Lufkin and the surrounding towns if the forest service would treat the public right and open the forest roads and trails like they did in the 1970s. All the hotels and camps around Toledo Bend and Sam Rayburn would be filled up. Shops and eating places would pop up everywhere. Talk about a boom to the tax base in east Texas. Surely someone in Texas division of the forest service has been to other parts of the country and seen what type of money the offroad commuinity brings in.

I know you have me ranting and rolling, but let me roll a little bit more. Take Moab Ut. without the offroad communty they have almost no tax base. In Moab they have no problem giving tickets to the ones that are causing problems and all of the rest of us they treat like human beings. From what I hear about East Texas no matter how nice you are, even if you have a full head of gray hair and look like you just came back from church they treat you worst that if you just escaped from the local jail. Now does that make since? East Texas is starving for jobs and tax money. They have more public land than they know what to do with but can not put 2 + 2 together.

I could go on but my blood pressure is only rising. The worst thing about going to Colorado is coming back and seeing how bad you have been screwed by being driven out of the forest. That load of bull about hurting the pine forest is unbelievable. Correct me if I am wrong but what is wrong with the offroad community riding in an area that the forest service is going to let the timber companies clear cut anyway. Most people driving around East Texas think that they are surrounded by Pine Trees. If they were to get out of their cars and just walk a 100 yards into the woods they would find a lot of times only clear cut section with no trees at all. And in the areas where there are no plans to every cut down the trees at least let us run on the fire roads. And if the Forest service catches anyone tearing up stuff they should do just like the Moab UT officers do give them a ticket or take them to jail.

This ends part one of my ranting and raving.

Thanks for your time
nujac

#361806 - 07/17/08 09:37 PM Re: Sticky on how to tell if you are on a private road [Re: nujac]
DougRoost Offline
Gang Boss

Loc: Austin
I agree wholeheartedly with your points on open access to public lands being good for the economy and all. I grew up in Missouri and we were blessed with so many parks and forest lands I just assumed it was that way everywhere.

However, my understanding is most of the land in Texas is private, going back to land grants for those who fought in a war. Are you sure all that land in East Texas is public?

KTM 300 E/XC, changing my oil 7,500 times per minute!
Austin MotoSports Association www.amsaclub.org

#361807 - 07/17/08 10:05 PM Re: Sticky on how to tell if you are on a private road [Re: DougRoost]
Dave Offline
AMSA Gang Boss

Loc: Spicewood
I grew up riding up in the East Texas piney woods around the areas you guys speak of and the deal is...the locals don't want a bunch of yahoos from Austin, San Antonio, Houston, etc. up there. Period. They dont care about the tax base, the revenues, more restaurants, hotels, the added traffic...I could go on and on. They want those woods to themselves. That's why we rarely go back. We are outsiders and they are quick to show you the highway. "You ain't from around here, are ya boy?"
There are lots of inholdings...private properties surrounded by the Nat. Forest.
This is just my observations and two cents over the past 30+ years...and it pisses me off too.

#361808 - 07/18/08 05:09 PM Re: Sticky on how to tell if you are on a private road [Re: Dave]
Irishcoffee Offline
Veteran Lunatic

You nailed it Dave. Very sad situation. And if you are fishing on Toledo or Rayburn you better not have ANY beer or other alcohol on board. Its truly worse than any movie you have seen. Be warned.

#361809 - 07/25/08 01:25 PM Re: Sticky on how to tell if you are on a private road [Re: Irishcoffee]
Greg Offline
Vet AMSA Director

Loc: Austin, TX
Wow, busting fishermen for drinking? If you can't drink while fishing, what the heck are you supposed to do while you're watching that bobber?

Things are truly out of control in that part of Texas.

Greg

#361810 - 10/04/08 01:55 AM Re: Sticky on how to tell if you are on a private road [Re: Greg]
nujac Offline
TON Member

New type of sign seen in the Hill Country. This sign looked like it replaced a private property sign. This dirt road had about 6 gates on the 10 mile distance. All gates had chains to latch the gates but no locks.

Attachments
554301-dirt road sign.jpg (223 downloads)

#361811 - 10/04/08 02:03 AM Re: Sticky on how to tell if you are on a private road [Re: nujac]
nujac Offline
TON Member

Red Street signs on dirt roads south of Lake Travis seem to be private roads. Rode my DRZ down one and a lady stopped me in a pick up truck to warn me I was fixing to get shot. I pulled off my helment to show her I had more gray hair than her hoping to calm her down. She was very angry and repeated the possiblity of getting shot. Her spose was in the truck and seemed to be embarssed about her outburst but did not stop her from ranting.

#361812 - 10/04/08 07:13 PM Re: Sticky on how to tell if you are on a private road [Re: nujac]
Irishcoffee Offline
Veteran Lunatic

Still hoping for "factual" info on deciphering private from public. Thanks.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  BIZZZARE, Bobby, Capt.Jack, Hoop, My6 

Texas Offroad Network
Sponsors & Partners

KTM OF NORTH TEXAS / SLM RACING - 2260 W. Pioneer Parkway - Arlington, TX 76013 - 817-275-2228

KTM OF NORTH TEXAS / SLM RACING - 2260 W. Pioneer Parkway - Arlington, TX 76013 - 817-275-2228

TJ's Cycle - 6208 North Lamar - Austin, TX 78752 - 512.453.6255

Cycle Parts Warehouse - www.cyclepartswarehouse.com

TSCEC Website

Texas 4-H Youth ATV Safety Program

The RiderDown Foundation - Helping Riders Up

Texas Offroad Network
Affiliate Programs
American Trails
Locations of visitors to this page
Outdoor Hub