TON Forums | Classifieds | Gallery | Links | Home  
TON Logo
Newest Members
Bford96, PT145SS, LaFitte, LoganR, Laura Olson
23181 Registered Users
Who's Online
0 registered (), 157 Guests and 19 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
23181 Members
50 Forums
38023 Topics
248899 Posts

Max Online: 677 @ 03/29/21 12:24 PM
Search

Bike For Sale
Topic Options
#220918 - 03/02/06 10:55 AM New Guy/2001 Blaster
GetBent Offline
TON Member

Loc: South Texas along the Coast
I have to appologize in advance if I ask an obvious or dumb question. I have very little experience with quads. I am going to get a 2001 Yamaha Blaster that is bored out to 250cc. I am 5'11" and 180lbs 26yrs old if that means anything. I realize its not the best quad out there, but the deal is a fair trade and I have been interested in joining some friends who have 450fz Yamaha and a Honda something or another and another 300cc plus bike. what are some mods I could make to have fun with. I am willing to start out at $500 but i need a helmet and those nerf bar things for my feet. the engine has some mods as far as the piston and cylinder and ?reed? go. What are positive things and negative things? thanks guys and if you need help with fishing I would be happy to answer your questions. Oh yeah where are your favorite places to buy aftermarket parts. thanks for the help

#220919 - 03/02/06 12:25 PM Re: New Guy/2001 Blaster [Re: GetBent]
Rockinrv_KTM450 Offline
Old Boot

Loc: Austin
I would learn to ride and get very comfortable before any more mods. You are comparing a Honda accord to a Honda NSX. Your Blaster will be fun and exciting for a first quad but it will never run with the 450's. Keep it reliable and trade up later. The more radical the mods the more maintanence and unreliability your going to encounter. Invest your money in chest protector, boots, nerfs (a must for any quad), and helmet. It's only a matter of time before you get thrown and you'll want all the protection you can get. Sorry this isn't exactly the answer you were looking for. Have fun and maybe we'll see you at cross creek. Randy

#220920 - 03/02/06 03:23 PM Re: New Guy/2001 Blaster [Re: GetBent]
GetBent Offline
TON Member

Loc: South Texas along the Coast
I had the helmet and nerf on the to buy list. I believe I need a new exhaust. In the pic it had surface rust and the guy said it was stock. Would anyone suggest against this
http://www.dirt-deals.com/cgi-bin/dirtdeals/01002.html
The bike have all ready has Hot Rod crank and cam,Wiseco pisto,Boyeson reed,and a new clutch. The handling is the 2nd thing I would like to improve. I have the option of tires and rims or do I need new swing arms and A arms? Can I get the tires first and use it until I get the swing and A arms? Or is their a measurement issue?

#220921 - 03/18/06 12:07 PM Re: New Guy/2001 Blaster [Re: GetBent]
ktmlance Offline
Gang Veteran

Loc: Watauga, TX
invest in no toil oil, filter cleaner, and grease. You need to make sure you clean the air filter everytime you ride you quad. I mean every time. A two stroke pulls the air, thur the crankcase to lube the crank bearings before it enters the cylinder. If the air filter gets dirty, kaboom. .. Time for a new motor.

A blaster is just that a blast. My father has a Kaw Bayou 220 4 stroke, everyone at the lease thinks it is a woman's quad or kids quad, everyone has a 500cc + 4x4 manly thing, it don't matter I can still keep up with them. pride yourself in riding your quad to your and its limits and you will realize that it is more about your body positioning, line choice, and common sense than all the modifications everyone is raving about.

And always wear boots, helmet, goggles, and chest protector.

#220922 - 11/27/06 02:30 PM Re: New Guy/2001 Blaster [Re: GetBent]
jamman Offline
New Boot

You got the engine to fit you more, so I'd say to get the rest of the quad to fit you. Wheel spacers front and back and a swingarm extension kit. Probably do it for under $200 on E-bay. Spacers that go individually over the studs are cheapest but are prone to wobble at higher speeds. A Blaster that handles better, goes faster!

Texas Offroad Network
Sponsors & Partners

TXTEAMM - 830-612-3607 (cell) 210-912-1516 -- txteamm1@gmail.com width=

Texas Offroad Network
* We Support *

Texas 4-H Youth ATV Safety Program

The RiderDown Foundation - Helping Riders Up
American Trails
Locations of visitors to this page