TON Forums | Classifieds | Gallery | Links | Weather | Home  
TON Logo
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#283374 - 03/21/07 10:52 PM Re: Tread Lightly! [Re: Dave]
Chris_S Offline
Veteran Lunatic

Loc: North Richland Hills, TX
I haven't read everything here, but re: sound I've never seen or heard loud motorcycles @ CP. That's not to say they never go there, but the vast majority are quiet trials bikes. (inc. me, I've never ridden a non-trials bike there - anyone want to volunteer to let me do a loop w/ their dirt bike? LOL)

#283375 - 03/22/07 03:55 PM Re: Tread Lightly! [Re: Chris_S]
Greg Offline
Vet AMSA Director

Loc: Austin, TX
A couple of young fellers showed up once with an RM-125 that must not have had a silencer. Wearing tennis shoes they blasted up and down the parking lot, taking turns and sharing the same helmet. At least they wore a helmet! I think the bike finally died because they loaded up and left. It was funny and made your ears hurt all at the same time.

Greg

#283376 - 09/04/08 10:23 PM Re: Tread Lightly! [Re: Greg]
Ryan_V Offline
New Boot

I can't believe there isn't more to this thread? It seemed to be going in the right direvtion, then just stopped.

So what's the deal with Emma Long as of late for us that might not be in the know?

and..how can I measure my bikes sound output? It has FMF powerbomb into a powercore4 and it seem's pretty darned loud..last thing I want to do is piss off or contribute to the closing of Emma Long.

Thanks,
Ryan

#283377 - 09/09/08 03:49 PM Re: Tread Lightly! [Re: Ryan_V]
motopail Offline
Gang Daddy

Loc: Austin
How's old Cliff..... he's truly one of the godfather's of CP.....

I was out there when he cut the last "new " sections....that was a while back.

just a note....my farther in law...was a Capital Cat(along with a few others that are close us)

I was at the 25 year party for CP....Me and Carlos(remember him?)

anyway....on the mojo thing, you can see who stirred the pot first.. don't complain about the motorcycles at a motorcycle park....!!!!

Glad to see Cliff's name come up...he's done so much.

tootles..

moto

#283378 - 10/31/08 05:04 PM Re: Tread Lightly! [Re: MXerDude]
stmichaels Offline

Loc: Georgetown, Texas
If you have seen the Mother of All McMansions at the top of the hill, then you have seen Jeff Kodosky's new pad. He is a co-founder of NI and has more money than God. Let's hope he doesn't hear any bikes from his back plaza.

The new neighborhood construction is clearly responsible for the first recorded decline in GC Warblers in the park area. This park has been operating with motorcycles for over 30 years, and numerous bird counts have shown zero impact. When the new houses popped up, bird numbers dropped.

All the bicyclists I talk to are just glad to have trail, any trail, to ride, and said they would be willing to pitch in on a work day.

There are no plans to shut down the park right now, but it wouldn't take much attention from the outside to end 30+ years of enjoyment.

Someone said this is the only municipal-run cycle park in the country. That is untrue. There are numerous off-road parks operated by cities. In Texas, a municipal park has the advantage of being immune to lawsuit (same as a skatepark).

Bottom line: Keep the machines quiet. Call out idiots when you see them. Work with mountain bikers, they are under attack too. And maybe it is time to think about approaching the city to find a replacement park.

This area was cedar wasteland 20 years ago. Now it is covered with fancy houses. That just isn't going to work out for long.javascript:void(0)

#283379 - 10/31/08 08:58 PM Re: Tread Lightly! [Re: stmichaels]
Greg Offline
Vet AMSA Director

Loc: Austin, TX
Last winter, when we had our two-day trials event there, the owner of the house closest to the parking lot came over to watch. He was not bothered and suggested he was a rider in the past. That was a good sign.

I agree - the quieter the better for the bikes at that place. The rumor I heard was that the terms under which the city gets the land are such that if the MC trails close, the park ownership reverts back to the family. I have not seen this in writing, though.

Where can we get the GCW statistics? Not that I don't believe you because that makes sense. Last I heard was they were doing fine and even increasing. They were actually found to prefer nesting near trails for some reason - possibly because those are good flyways and the open ground is easier to hunt food on. The GCW deal seems to be really important until $omebody want$ to move in and build hou$e$ or apartment$ and pay taxe$. Then I suppose the birds can always just find someplace else - no big deal!

Thanks for trying to minimize the trouble there. Every bit helps.

Greg

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Kingham 

Texas Offroad Network
Sponsors & Partners

KTM OF NORTH TEXAS / SLM RACING - 2260 W. Pioneer Parkway - Arlington, TX 76013 - 817-275-2228

KTM OF NORTH TEXAS / SLM RACING - 2260 W. Pioneer Parkway - Arlington, TX 76013 - 817-275-2228

TJ's Cycle - 6208 North Lamar - Austin, TX 78752 - 512.453.6255

TX Toy Sales - 1600 Globe Ave - Fort Worth, TX 76131 - 817.655.0651

TSCEC Website

Texas 4-H Youth ATV Safety Program

The RiderDown Foundation - Helping Riders Up

Texas Offroad Network
Affiliate Programs
American Trails
Locations of visitors to this page
Outdoor Hub