TON Forums | Classifieds | Gallery | Links | Weather | Home   || OEM parts & online schematics || Cycle Gear
TON Logo
Topic Options
#522294 - 01/09/12 11:28 AM Rekluse Core EXP and KTM 350 owners
Pitracer Administrator Offline
Stick Figure

Loc: Columbus, Texas
Rekluse has an upgrade kit for the KTM 350 only that deals with an issue! no other bikes are affected. If you have a Core EXP in your KTM 350 contact me for details. Even if I didnt install the Rekluse for you I will help you out.

Charlie
979-256-7937
TORCS #51
ICON Bank www.iconbanktx.com
Rekluse
MSR Racing
Vitol Travel
Tanya "Pit Crew"

#522306 - 01/09/12 12:23 PM Re: Rekluse Core EXP and KTM 350 owners [Re: Pitracer]
Grouser Offline
Gang Member

Loc: Houston
Thanks for the info Charlie,

I'm assuming this only effects 350 SX and XC? I think rekluse started shipping the Core EXP for the XCF-W and EXC last week?

-Lee
Sponsor: Tejas Motorsports http://www.tejasmotorsports.com/
Sponsor: Bay Area Raceway http://bayarearaceway.com/

#522310 - 01/09/12 12:37 PM Re: Rekluse Core EXP and KTM 350 owners [Re: Grouser]
Stick Figure

Correct, it only affects the SX and XC part # 7735B
TORCS #51
Rekluse
MSR Racing
Vitol Travel
Tanya "Pit Crew"

#522337 - 01/09/12 03:32 PM Re: Rekluse Core EXP and KTM 350 owners [Re: Pitracer]
steve333 Offline
Veteran Lunatic

Loc: katy,tx
ME FIRST smile
Torcs #333
team "Mach 5" Steve Torcs 333 , Charles torcs 233, Sarah 337(torc's) MACH ann's
The Annoying Thing

#522402 - 01/10/12 07:10 AM Re: Rekluse Core EXP and KTM 350 owners [Re: steve333]
#903 Offline
Birdman

Loc: Dallas
Hi Charlie .. i would describe the kit as a recall and not upgrade if you are talking about the steel balls coming loose from the clutch and dropping into case for circulation and interaction with all other moving parts. ... :-( ... I had mine "fixed" several months ago and at last oil change had a few come out again with the oil which meant another tear down to get the last ones out of the case after removing clutch and finding less had come out with the oil than were missing from the clutch. I love the clutch but found out about the issue the hard way the first time when one of the balls wedged in gears in the engine.

so if this is the issue you are speaking of, I would recommend not starting the engine again until you are sure you do not have the issue.
Andrew… #340 ... 450A ... 13-29A
Steve… #903 ... 50+C

#522425 - 01/10/12 09:34 AM Re: Rekluse Core EXP and KTM 350 owners [Re: #903]
JROLL Offline
TON Member

Thanks for the info. Better call my dealer and get the new parts.

#528991 - 03/01/12 10:29 PM Re: Rekluse Core EXP and KTM 350 owners [Re: JROLL]
KTM350_MX1.5 Offline

Hey guys, my girlfriend just ordered me a kit off e-bay and the seller told us he was selling it for a freind and had no way of knowing what version it was, but supsected it was the older version without the update. I called Rekluse earlier and they said I could verify by disassembling it and seeing if the wedges were stamped with a B. I'm trying to get the guy to send my the serial number while it's in route so I don't waste $99 on ordering the rev B wedges. Since I need it ready for a race in two weeks it's cutting it pretty darn close if I wait to open the box. (fingers crossed). How big of a deal is it to swap those wedges? I'm hearing about ball bearings rolling around in the case if I get it wrong? Maybe I should give Charlie a call when I get the box. smirk

#529007 - 03/02/12 07:06 AM Re: Rekluse Core EXP and KTM 350 owners [Re: KTM350_MX1.5]
Stick Figure

It is a very easy process to change the wedges, Take the 3 locks off of 1 side, turn it over and take the other 3 wedges out. seperate the 2 halves, change the wedges and put everything back together, takes about 5 minutes.
TORCS #51
Rekluse
MSR Racing
Vitol Travel
Tanya "Pit Crew"

#529087 - 03/03/12 12:51 AM Re: Rekluse Core EXP and KTM 350 owners [Re: Pitracer]
KTM350_MX1.5 Offline

Thanks for the 411. I have no idea what to expect other than the seller said it was a core exp for a KTM350SXF.

He gave me the PN's to the cover and the pressure plate and they matched the 7735B Fiche, but that didn't tell me much about those pesky wedges. The picture he took appeared to include the full kit. I was a little spooked it might have been some other version but the cover only comes in the kit with the Core Exp...?? Any how, he never got back to me on the 7735B, or where it came from. I'm guessing that his buddy he sold it for either aquired it prior to the January "upgrade," picked it up on a going out of business auction, or it's from Cnada, South Africa, Australia or the EU and just never got the B designation.

All this Rekluse research led me to an entirely different tangent. While I was reading Rekluse Q&A, I noticed they said to use Rotella T 15W-40 (sorry to turn this into an oil thread but thats what we all get for riding dirt bikes that share clutch and motor oil). Well, now I'm wondering, I know that KTM's are rumoured to use silver plated roller bearings (pin bearings etc) on the crank etc. So I read about the Rotella and the version they recommend does not appear to have a detergent or additive harmful to silver coated metals. I know the 350 is in a class of it's own so people are really nervous about stepping any where outside of the OEM specs unless they have the budget to rebuild bikes on a whim like the factory teams do (referencing the other rumour that Factory KTM WORCS and GNCC teams are actually using Rotella T). I did a little more research comparing the arguments that Amsoil fans and Rotella users seem to never find a middle ground on and came to my own conclusion reading the Amsoil data that was supposedly an independant research of the two by comparison (http://www.1st-in-synthetics.com/testimo..._Diesel_Oil.htm). It shows that the viscosity relationship in centistokes of the Rotella T @ 100 Deg C (Figure 4) is actually rated higher than Amsoil during the first 12 to 25 hours. mind you this is their scientists data, where they are of course bragging about how much longer their oil remains "stoked" [no pun intended] than Rotella does). What this effectively told me was that they have a great sell for amsoil to a guy on a long haul enduro or street bike, but their data actually supports the idea of using Rotella T instead for a motocross bike that you change the oil in every 2 to 4 hours. Given that I am an EE and not an ME, I was still hesitant to trust the web data. So I came upon this peer review from a fellow EE who researched this himself: http://motorcycleinfo.calsci.com/Oils1.html

I know it works for some MX thumpers, I have asked 3 different Pro MX riders that have been riding and rebuilding thumpers their entire lives and they swear by it on their J bikes. That and the claims of team KTM using the stuff too makes me almost brave enough to try it. I'm just not sure how sensative this 350SXF is though (Andrew Shorts was always having problems... so if they were using Rotella .... hmmm). But paying almost 1/4th of the price I could change the oil every ride without feeling like I'm robbing food scraps of the family table to keep my bike running. Any way, I'm really tempted to try the Rekluse recommended Rotella T 15W-40 and just change the oil every 2 hours. One logical argument in favor of this is that of the 2 options (either wearing your engine down in 150 hrs instead of 200 or blowing out the friction plates on your clutch) I'd rather have opion A because severe clutch debris blow out in the next 40 hours would mean I might have to rebuild the motor sooner than the Rotella would kill the motor any way. I mean, a friction plate blow out using OEM oil in say 40 hrs vs Excess Engine wear in 150 or 200 hours? The two risks side by side point to the Rotella T again.

Am I missing the bigger picture?

smirk

Moderator:  TORCS 

Texas Offroad Network
Sponsors & Partners

Skip's Cycles - 850 US Highway 281, Building #860 - Wichita Falls,TX 76310 - 940.723.7547

TJ's Cycle - 6208 North Lamar - Austin, TX 78752 - 512.453.6255

TSCEC Website

Texas 4-H Youth ATV Safety Program

The RiderDown Foundation - Helping Riders Up

Texas Offroad Network
Affiliate Programs
CycleGear.com Gaurantees
Shop Cycle Gear for Motorcycle Parts and Apparel
MotoSport, Inc.
Locations of visitors to this page
American Trails
Outdoor Hub