TON Forums | Classifieds | Gallery | Links | Weather | Home   || OEM parts & online schematics || Cycle Gear
TON Logo
Topic Options
#596535 - 03/15/19 10:46 AM Old Noob questions
JasonC Offline
Old Boot

I ride a couple races every few years so it's like the first time every time...

In the past I've raced my 450 but I just now got a 150sx to try out. Assuming I'm racing an age class, any problem bringing both bikes and trying them both out in practice/ parade? Does anyone know if a 150sx will need refueling? I haven't ridden it more than a little through the field, but I hope to take it to the MX track Sunday.

I'd like to encourage my 7yr old daughter to race. She's been to the MX track with me and we can ride around the property a bit. Any tips for a kid's first race? I honestly never paid much attention to the kid's track, how much of it can we see/ watch?

I'm hoping to get a good feel for her skill and comfort level this Sunday, and I know she'll be intimidated about 'racing' rather than just 'riding' but I'm hoping that the layout and atmosphere is tame enough that she'll be willing to try it out.

Hope to see y'all in a week!

#596538 - 03/16/19 05:20 AM Re: Old Noob questions [Re: JasonC]
woodsguy Offline
Pappa Boar

Loc: Huntsville
There should be no problem in bringing both and seeing what you want to ride. There is a handful of 150 racing, work pretty good, although my understanding this next race is sandy. I don't remember this place for sure.

Now on the gas, with the stock sx tank there is a lot of debate on that, might be close. Depends on your ability to stay on the pipe and what class. I say class because there is a few minutes difference from front row to D class, might determine doing the extra lap or not. Personally at some point I'd do a splash and go, easier than walking out.

It's been over 10 years since my grandkids raced but the course for a 7 y/o is very short, most of it you can see. Sign her up and let her practice, she should be able to tell you if she wants to move forward or not. They won't throw anything technical at them.

TORCS 70

#596539 - 03/16/19 05:25 AM Re: Old Noob questions [Re: woodsguy]
woodsguy Offline
Pappa Boar

Loc: Huntsville
I just checked the results for this year as I haven't watched kids in forever. First seems to be very few now, way more when my grandkids raced. Course is about 5-6 minutes looks like for the faster guys. You'll just have to check it out for sure.

TORCS 70

#596545 - Today at 03:40 PM Re: Old Noob questions [Re: woodsguy]
JasonC Offline
Old Boot

Thanks!

We'll see ya this weekend and figure it out from there.

Moderator:  TORCS 

Texas Offroad Network
Sponsors & Partners

KTM OF NORTH TEXAS / SLM RACING - 2260 W. Pioneer Parkway - Arlington, TX 76013 - 817-275-2228

KTM OF NORTH TEXAS / SLM RACING - 2260 W. Pioneer Parkway - Arlington, TX 76013 - 817-275-2228

TJ's Cycle - 6208 North Lamar - Austin, TX 78752 - 512.453.6255

TX Toy Sales - 1600 Globe Ave - Fort Worth, TX 76131 - 817.655.0651

TSCEC Website

Texas 4-H Youth ATV Safety Program

The RiderDown Foundation - Helping Riders Up

Texas Offroad Network
Affiliate Programs
American Trails
Locations of visitors to this page
Outdoor Hub