Trail Work Weekend...Last Weekend Sat & Sun...

Posted by: Airwolf__32

Trail Work Weekend...Last Weekend Sat & Sun... - 06/25/12 10:49 PM

Skull Creek Members--

First off, I'd like to say thanks to everybody for all the support in my endeavor as the Skull Creek Park Director. Juliet left some pretty big shoes to fill, so I'm going to give it my best to make it work.

I finally got the chance to ride most if not all of Skull Creek this past weekend (on my own bike at least), and I can say with total confidence that Summer is upon us. If you've ever ridden with me, you know I like to ride in a t-shirt, and as of late, I've switched to a sleeveless t-shirt. This has allowed me to judge the condition of the trails by the amount of scratches and wounds on my arms after a weekend of riding. After this weekend, it looks like I got in a fight with a team of bobcats. Needless to say, the trails need some TLC.

I am going to organize a work weekend coming up on the 14th and 15th of July in order to get some of these trails in shape for the summer. I know it's going to be brutally hot outside, but I'm only asking for a few hours in the morning to hit the really bad spots and make it so that we can get through the trails without having to stop and move brush or pick your way through downed trees.

There's other things that need to be done around camp, but I would like to concentrate on the trails and get them shaped up, because that's where the fun happens.

Be on the lookout for an email from me with schedule and details.
Posted by: JulietPeters

Re: Upcoming Trail Work Weekend - 7/14/12-7/15/12 - 06/26/12 11:04 AM

We'll be there!
Posted by: Kenzo

Re: Upcoming Trail Work Weekend - 7/14/12-7/15/12 - 07/01/12 09:38 PM

Brian D. and myself basically had the place to ourselves this weekend...except for Kyle and the new Park Director(Brian P.)who came out for a days work'n ride on Saturday. Weather was great with temps in the 80's...plenty of hero dirt after the showers.

I spent most of the time debugging and breaking in my new motor... :-)

Brian D. went through most of the NW Woods cleaning it up.

The trails are getting pretty hairy...what's that gals name who use to ride around all of the time on the Club's tractor? You know...the mean one!

:-p

Cheers

Re: Upcoming Trail Work Weekend - 7/14/12-7/15/12 - 07/01/12 10:03 PM

If you didn't make it out this weekend to ride, you missed it! Got a couple rides in saturday morning, then sat and watched the rain and told lies for an hour, then rode AWESOME trail conditions (at least the dirt).

It was still drizzling when we went out in the afternoon so I had to ride sans-goggles. Nothing like blitzing sand whoops in 4th gear with your head down. Almost had some pretty gnarly get offs. We gotta do something about these faceslappers.
Posted by: Brush_Buster

Re: Upcoming Trail Work Weekend - 7/14/12-7/15/12 - 07/02/12 02:17 PM

Sunday was the best soil conditions for SC. Started at the end of the Hooter Trail and cleared all the face slappers and down trees off the NW section. (took all day)
There is still alot of dead trees and tree limbs that are falling due to the recent drought. Cleared a bunch of dead wood off the trails. The miners are not far from a large portion of the NW section, so get ready for some heavy duty reroutes. Several sections near ALT 90 telephone building neead rerouting due to loose sandy whoops. Great job on the new trail running near ALT 90. Cleared it from all the down debri and face slappers.

Brian Darnell
Posted by: Rob Granger

Re: Upcoming Trail Work Weekend - 7/14/12-7/15/12 - 07/02/12 11:05 PM

Wow, that is odd, because Brian P, Brian D, Kyle and myself almost had skull creek to our selves Saturday... how weird is that?

Re: Upcoming Trail Work Weekend - 7/14/12-7/15/12 - 07/03/12 08:33 AM

Originally Posted By: Rob Granger
Wow, that is odd, because Brian P, Brian D, Kyle and myself almost had skull creek to our selves Saturday... how weird is that?

Ooops...left you out Rob...forgot since you have to be home before the street lights come on. :-p

Re: Upcoming Trail Work Weekend - 7/14/12-7/15/12 - 07/03/12 11:51 AM

If you're in Brian Darnell's trail group, you need to supply him with alcohol next time you see him. Brian has donated a large amount of his time to help keep the trails clear and passable, so I'd like to personally thank him for all the work he's put in. He was spotted on a dirt bike last weekend, but if you blinked, you'd have missed it. I was surprised to see he still knew how to ride something with only 2 wheels! Thanks again, Brian!

Note: For those of you in Brian's trail group, don't think this is a free pass. We still need your help in other areas.

Re: Upcoming Trail Work Weekend - 7/14/12-7/15/12 - 07/03/12 03:34 PM

I am not in Brian's trail group, but I will bring something next time!!!

Re: Upcoming Trail Work Weekend - 7/14/12-7/15/12 - 07/09/12 08:36 AM

This comming weekend is the work weekend.

There has been a lot of work already done removing (chainsaw) large trees...most of what is left is clearing smaller dead trees/branches and wacking off face slappers.

We hope to provide burgers and hotdogs for lunch...will advise.

If we get a halfway decent turnout we can have the place cleaned up and ready to ride by the afternoon.

Looks like Altair will get some much needed rain this week(received zero this last weekend) so the trail conditions should be great and with predicted high temps of only 90 should make for good riding.

Cheers
Posted by: Rp3

Re: Upcoming Trail Work Weekend - 7/14/12-7/15/12 - 07/09/12 05:14 PM

I will be there, what time sat morning are we starting? I will have the 4-wheeler, chain saw, loppers, water, etc... no bike this time, rolled the ATV last weekend and my shoulder is not doing well...

It's getting better, I couldn't brush my teeth for 3 days with that arm, and it's hard to brush your teeth with the 'other hand'... funny..

I can still barely lift it above my head, so not sure what shape I will be in this coming weekend... but will be there to get some work done for sure..

Rp

Re: TRAIL WORK WEEKEND >>> THIS WEEKEND SAT & SUN<<< - 07/11/12 10:25 AM

So far so good...

...the rain guage 3 miles to the east of Skull Creek at the Colorado River is showing only ~1.25" of rain with the bulk of that comming on Monday.

A good week-long soaking is just what we needed out there...it was pretty dusty last weekend with all of the rain missing the area.

Cheers

http://hydromet.lcra.org/full.aspx
Posted by: GoldDrum

Re: TRAIL WORK WEEKEND >>> THIS WEEKEND SAT & SUN<<< - 07/12/12 08:53 AM

Looks like the rain gauge may be broke. smile Right down the street says over 2 inches more. It is about flooding in Katy. Guess this is really scattered storms.

Re: TRAIL WORK WEEKEND >>> THIS WEEKEND SAT & SUN<<< - 07/12/12 09:54 AM

Originally Posted By: GoldDrum
Looks like the rain gauge may be broke. smile Right down the street says over 2 inches more. It is about flooding in Katy. Guess this is really scattered storms.

Yes Brad...rain tends to be localized. LOL

As long as the rain is spread over several days(like it has been) and we don't get a toad strangler on Friday we should be good for the weekend.

I believe Brian(and others)may be headed out there Friday morning or earlier...they will advise if the campgrounds and/or roads are too sloppy for most people. There will be a group of people out there reguardless. The plus with all of the rain is hero dirt for the afternoon ride and cooler temps.

Bringing boots and raincoat may be smart with the forcasted scattered showers.

We also plan on cooking burgers and hotdogs for lunch on Saturday for the workers.

We'll keep you updated.

Cheers
Posted by: GoldDrum

Re: TRAIL WORK WEEKEND >>> THIS WEEKEND SAT & SUN<<< - 07/12/12 10:22 AM

I have a BD party Saturday afternoon in Santa Fe so it will be a short day for sure. All work and no play. I will keep an eye out. If it is not bad I will be there. Have a few on my crew that say they will be out there as well.
Posted by: Pinball Wizard

Re: TRAIL WORK WEEKEND >>> THIS WEEKEND SAT & SUN<<< - 07/12/12 02:31 PM

Looks like hero dirt[sand] this weekend.

Re: TRAIL WORK WEEKEND >>> THIS WEEKEND SAT & SUN<<< - 07/12/12 04:10 PM

The work weekend is still a go. Altair has received about 5 inches of rain over the past week. What does that mean for the conditions at Skull Creek? In all honesty, I don't know. I do know a little water and/or mud on the ground doesn't affect my ability to swing a brush axe...and it definitely wouldn't stop me from riding. I will be headed out about midday tomorrow, so if there's anything that would cause hazards or unsafe conditions, I will definitely report back and inform everybody. Otherwise, see you out there. Let's get this knocked out so we can go ride!
Posted by: mcguyver

Re: TRAIL WORK WEEKEND >>> THIS WEEKEND SAT & SUN<<< - 07/12/12 10:43 PM

I'm planning on being out there this weekend. Hope to arrive early Saturday (depending on work) I even put my Machette mount back on the 300.....

Re: TRAIL WORK WEEKEND >>> THIS WEEKEND SAT & SUN<<< - 07/13/12 09:34 AM

There was such a great response to Eric's Fly'n W quad water skipping attempt... :-p

...we may just have to put on a quad-based mud bog, hole-shot, barrel race and water skipping competition this weekend!

Cheers

Re: TRAIL WORK WEEKEND >>> THIS WEEKEND SAT & SUN<<< - 07/13/12 10:39 AM

P.S. I just think Eric was a little down on power or he wudda made it...

...Nate???

Re: TRAIL WORK WEEKEND >>> THIS WEEKEND SAT & SUN<<< - 07/13/12 10:45 AM

I live in Sugar Land and it's been raining for 2-3 days. Yesterday was on/off heavy. It's thundering big time right now, and looks like it's coming again today... I will still plan on coming out tomorrow...

Will for sure bring a change of clothes... smile

Looks like a big yellow/red circle right on top of SC right now, will be muddy for sure I bet...

Shoulder is doing better, I can run some loppers for sure.. Atv is loaded up and gassed up...

See you guys there sometime in the AM...

Rp
Posted by: Nacho Nate

Re: TRAIL WORK WEEKEND >>> THIS WEEKEND SAT & SUN<<< - 07/13/12 12:12 PM

the 450 quad doesnt go near mud or water... its a prissy flat track quad. lol going to list it for sale soon too.

i dont have the sack to look at a pond and think, hey i can skip across that on a bike/quad. the fines for breaking the laws of gravity/momentum/inertia are steep and get paid immediately.

Re: TRAIL WORK WEEKEND >>> THIS WEEKEND SAT & SUN<<< - 07/13/12 12:43 PM

Originally Posted By: Nacho Nate

i dont have the sack to look at a pond and think, hey i can skip across that on a bike/quad. the fines for breaking the laws of gravity/momentum/inertia are steep and get paid immediately.

Ur over thinking it!!!
Posted by: Boyd Racing

Re: Upcoming Trail Work Weekend - 7/14/12-7/15/12 - 07/13/12 05:31 PM

Quick question from a new member - What time does the work party start tomorrow? I live in the Katy area and my son and I want to come out tomorrow. What do you usually bring to your work parties?

thanks

Re: Upcoming Trail Work Weekend - 7/14/12-7/15/12 - 07/13/12 06:57 PM

Originally Posted By: Boyd Racing
Quick question from a new member - What time does the work party start tomorrow? I live in the Katy area and my son and I want to come out tomorrow. What do you usually bring to your work parties?

thanks

Shoot for 8:30ish to be there and ready to work...we just need people power. If you get there later we'll still put you to work.

I just spoke to Brian and he's out at Skull Creek...

...the camp road was a bit snotty but they just had a quick moving thunderstorm pass through. All of the creek crossing were low and easily to cross. Other than some standing water and puddles it sounds reasonable.

We're still trying the get the campground road back into shape after some issues with the mining operation so stay to the north side away from the big sandpile by the clubhouse and bikewash.

Looks to be a decent weekend with cooler temps but boots and raingear on hand if needed is a good idea. A change of clothes and a towel if you want to shower.

Cheers

Re: Upcoming Trail Work Weekend - 7/14/12-7/15/12 - 07/13/12 08:22 PM

Originally Posted By: Kenzo
Originally Posted By: Boyd Racing

thanks

Shoot for 8:30ish to be there and ready to work...we just need people power. If you get there later we'll still put you to work.

I just spoke to Brian and he's out at Skull Creek...

...the camp road was a bit snotty but they just had a quick moving thunderstorm pass through. All of the creek crossing were low and easily to cross. Other than some standing water and puddles it sounds reasonable.

We're still trying the get the campground road back into shape after some issues with the mining operation so stay to the north side away from the big sandpile by the clubhouse and bikewash.

Looks to be a decent weekend with cooler temps but boots and raingear on hand if needed is a good idea. A change of clothes and a towel if you want to shower.

Cheers

I will be there by 8:30 or so. Just had a 'warning on the tv' for flash floods for fort bend county. I can't remember the last time I heard the emergency broadcast system be turned on... WOW.

Will have ATV and some loppers, ready to clean up some trails...

Rp

Re: Upcoming Trail Work Weekend - 7/14/12-7/15/12 - 07/14/12 05:43 PM

The campground is soggy in places but the road in is fine for those wondering whether they should go out tomorrow or not. The trails weren't actually too wet & there is good traction for riding.
They will be working on the Machann Trail in the morning & some of the NW Section. Tear Drop,Zaphy's & Hog Trail are all done.
Posted by: BIZZZARE

Re: Upcoming Trail Work Weekend - 7/14/12-7/15/12 - 07/14/12 10:17 PM

Brad & I cut most of the big trees on the Machann trail last weekend.
It is now ride-able.May need a little trimming.

Re: Upcoming Trail Work Weekend - 7/14/12-7/15/12 - 07/15/12 11:50 AM

Wanted to say thanks for feeding us after the work, it was wicked hot/humid and the food really hit the spot...

Brian thanks for setting up the cooking...

The HOG trail is good, the ground was great for riding, but getting in and out of the camp site is the tough part...

I can't believe how messed up the levee area and sand dunes are! I haven't been out in a while and boy have the miners changed things... but that can be good, new trails and new roads, etc...

Hopefully this week my shoulder repairs it self and I will make some plans to get out on the bike...

Ps.. Its pouring at my house right now! 99/90 in Sugarland! WOW

Re: Upcoming Trail Work Weekend - 7/14/12-7/15/12 - 07/15/12 01:57 PM

Ditto on the grub, that was great after getting back from wacking off those face slappers. Not sure why that makes be both sleeping and hungry....

Re: Upcoming Trail Work Weekend - 7/14/12-7/15/12 - 07/15/12 04:43 PM

Great job,Brian! I knew you would make a great park director!
Great to see so many REAL MEN out there whacking off face slappers in the heat & humidity.

Re: Upcoming Trail Work Weekend - 7/14/12-7/15/12 - 07/15/12 10:13 PM

Great job Brian. Sorry I had to leave early Sunday.

Re: Upcoming Trail Work Weekend - 7/14/12-7/15/12 - 07/16/12 06:30 PM

Thanks y'all. I was pleasantly surprised with the turnout and the work that was accomplished. We got a lot knocked out. Unfortunately, most of my time was spent on the bobcat fixing some of the campground and the levee crossings, but I'll be out there again soon to do some touch-up work on the rest of the trails. Thanks to everybody who was able to come out and help!

Special thanks to Robert and Jennifer Burnett who helped with the grill-work and logistics!
Posted by: Caspar Hassall

Re: Upcoming Trail Work Weekend - 7/14/12-7/15/12 - 07/16/12 10:34 PM

I'm planning to be out there Thursday to do some work as I wasn't able to make the weekend. Let me know if anyone else is planning to go out.

Re: Upcoming Trail Work Weekend - 7/14/12-7/15/12 - 07/17/12 11:00 AM

Originally Posted By: Caspar Hassall
I'm planning to be out there Thursday to do some work as I wasn't able to make the weekend. Let me know if anyone else is planning to go out.

You should probably contact Brian(PM Airwolf___32) and he'll let you know where you should spend your time working.

The trails need to be cut back at least a foot or more(not just face slappers) and dead/hanging branches removed since they'll end up falling sooner or later. If there are any large downed trees note their location and we'll follow up with a chainsaw. Fill out a work sheet and someone will follow up and sign off on your work day.

Cheers

P.S. Remember to bring plenty of water and your cell phone just in case.

Re: Upcoming Trail Work Weekend - 7/14/12-7/15/12 - 07/19/12 06:38 PM

The Northwest section looked good and only a few spots needed some clearing but all the trails that I saw were rideable. I went looking for work over at Skyline and Predator which are both not rideable due to large trees having fallen across the trail. I cleared branches on predator up to the big tree and couldn't go further, see attached photos. Cleared the vines and brush out of the way so it's accessible for somebody with a chainsaw. That's more than a one person job. Let me know if anybody has a chainsaw and we can go back and tackle it at the weekend.

Re: Upcoming Trail Work Weekend - 7/14/12-7/15/12 - 07/19/12 10:33 PM

Oh come on, I have seen you do bigger than that! I will be there, will bring saw. Saturday?

Re: Upcoming Trail Work Weekend - 7/14/12-7/15/12 - 07/19/12 10:55 PM

Sounds like a plan!

Re: Upcoming Trail Work Weekend - 7/14/12-7/15/12 - 07/20/12 07:36 AM

Rob, I'll ether be out there tonight or Saturday before noon.

Cheers

Re: Upcoming Trail Work Weekend - 7/14/12-7/15/12 - 07/20/12 10:27 AM

Rob, give me a call if you want to meet up there or at your place Saturday am. 7132932195
Posted by: steve333

Re: Upcoming Trail Work Weekend - 7/14/12-7/15/12 - 07/21/12 01:31 PM

I lost my maui Jims on (of all places) the Machann trail Sunday, Russell and I cut face slappers and dodged a few snakes, espeically those pretty bronze ones, luckily they went the other way. I've never been that soaked from sweat , could of jumped in one of the ponds and came out dryer than when I got back to the truck. Will head back out during the week on my day off.
Felt good to get loppers back in my hand, used a ol" herb trail management and re-route a short section on Machann trail to help perserve the drainage.
IF any one comes across a pair of green maui jims let me know. thx.

Re: Upcoming Trail Work Weekend - 7/14/12-7/15/12 - 07/21/12 06:03 PM

I don't know if I am going back out sunday, we rode just the NW and predator today. if I don't make it out, I will text kenny to keep an eye out. it was hero dirt today, unfortunately by the time we cleared predator it was hotter than hades too. Can't tell you how glad i was Caspar promised his wife he would be back early smile

Re: Upcoming Trail Work Weekend - 7/14/12-7/15/12 - 07/21/12 07:45 PM

Does run'n over them count???

Mowed half of the campground today...Zeroturn is the devils spawn!

Cheers

Re: Upcoming Trail Work Weekend - 7/14/12-7/15/12 - 07/23/12 08:42 AM

Got most of the campgrounds mowed.

Rob and Casper removed the trees blocking Predator Trail...it still needs to be cut back down around the pond/swamp...almost totally overgrown.

New issue with the mining operation...area near the barn is flooded. This needs to be addressed ASAP.

A couple of kids reported they ran over a coral snake on the trail...they brought the dead snake back to camp the next day...yup, about a 14" coral snake...first time I've seen one of those.

Other than the trails still needing some work the riding conditions were most excellent.

Cheers

Re: Upcoming Trail Work Weekend - 7/14/12-7/15/12 - 07/23/12 02:34 PM

There was some nice dirt out here, sorry Kenny, I ran out of gas and just couldn't do another ride. Should have, didn't know the thumb would hurt so bad sunday, should have used it while it worked smile At least you didn't get a picture - LOL.

Re: Upcoming Trail Work Weekend - 7/14/12-7/15/12 - 07/24/12 05:25 PM

New issue with the mining operation...area near the barn is flooded. This needs to be addressed ASAP.

Does this affect your ability to go ride trails?

How bout you get a bucket and address it!
Posted by: CaD11

Re: Upcoming Trail Work Weekend - 7/14/12-7/15/12 - 07/24/12 05:39 PM

No, but it might affect my ability to throw down on the kids track next to the barn.
How about i get YOU a bucket and YOU address it? haha Just kidding.....

Re: Upcoming Trail Work Weekend - 7/14/12-7/15/12 - 07/24/12 07:49 PM

Connor! Holy smokes! I thought you broke your hands or something. Haven't seen you on here in ages. You ought to come out to Skull Creek and ride some time. Maybe even become a member?

Re: Upcoming Trail Work Weekend - 7/14/12-7/15/12 - 07/24/12 11:06 PM

Haahahahahaha man thats really funny, lets not jinks it, i havent broke nothin in awhile! We just moved to Austin and I have been pretty busy lol.
I got the kx done and its sick! but needs a rejet frown but other than that its a rippa.
When is there a ride day i can ride without being a member?

Re: Upcoming Trail Work Weekend - 7/14/12-7/15/12 - 07/24/12 11:46 PM

You can come out as a guest anytime. Just let a BAP team member know and we will meet up.

Re: Upcoming Trail Work Weekend - 7/14/12-7/15/12 - 07/25/12 08:38 AM

Originally Posted By: Airwolf__32

Does this affect your ability to go ride trails?

How bout you get a bucket and address it!

I made some phone calls and hopefully it's in the process of being taken care of.

Re: Upcoming Trail Work Weekend - 7/14/12-7/15/12 - 07/25/12 12:31 PM

Cool sounds good.
When is anybody goin next?

Brian put voodo on me. - 07/25/12 11:30 PM

Well Brian, you jinxed me! Today at Advmx I cased a double and stuck my foot out then it was the first thing to hit, took the whole load. Sitting in bed right now icing it, possibly broken i dont really know yet. I'm going to the Doc tomorrow so we shall see.
Ya jinxed it Little Bear, ya Jinxed me.

Re: Brian put voodo on me. - 07/26/12 12:56 AM

Well, he is good for something, other than beer, then smile
Thanks for the help tonight LBM (Little Bear Mechanic)... nah, didn't get though without a smile.

Re: Upcoming Trail Work Weekend - 7/14/12-7/15/12 - 07/26/12 10:19 AM

Originally Posted By: Pinball Wizard
You can come out as a guest anytime. Just let a BAP team member know and we will meet up.

And bring $ 50.00. Normal guest pass is $ 15.00, but for a pro rider like you, it's $ 50.00, since we have to go fix all the ruts you make.

Re: Upcoming Trail Work Weekend - 7/14/12-7/15/12 - 07/26/12 12:01 PM

Hahaha. Have you herd? I'm going to Open A next year in Trh to run with the fast guys. Should be good.