1976 Honda XL175 street legality

Posted by: Matt Abshier

1976 Honda XL175 street legality - 06/27/19 05:44 PM

Hi all! I am new here, and I just got my first motorcycle/dirtbike, I've never even ridden on one before so I am super excited to have a bike, and a nice older 1976 Honda XL175 at that! My neighbor had me get the bike running, and I managed to buy it off him for what i believe was a great price. I have been working on it since, improving assorted things, converting the electronics from a 6 volt system to 12v etc.

Anyway, I have very limited knowledge about the offroad/motorcycle community. I want to see if I can get my bike road legal, as I have no idea where I can legally ride it (yet) and it would be amazing to have a bike I can ride around where ever I please!

I was hoping I could get some information as to whether or not I can realistically make it street legall, especially being a dual sport it looks more like a dirt bike than a street bike. I am certified to do inspections on vehicles in the state of Texas, however that isn't so helpful in this instance. I do not have a title for the bike, so I know I will have to find out how get a new title. But other than that I haven't the slightest clue as to where to start to get the bike street legal.

Where should I start? I don't know where I could go to get the information required. I know I will have to install new blinkers and rear view mirrors, but I don't even know if this year/model of bike can still be made legal. From some of the things I have read, including certain posts on this forum, it would seem that the DPS may not have the information I need, though, I will give them a visit and see if they can do anything for me.

Sorry if my question is vague, I am new to this so I don't even know what questions to ask! Thanks to anyone that can guide me in the right direction!
Posted by: Irishcoffee

Re: 1976 Honda XL175 street legality - 07/18/19 10:11 AM

That bike came street legal from the dealer. It came with a horn, hi/lo headlight, blinkers and brake lights activated from the brake levers. Just do a google search for 1976 Honda XL175 for pics and more info. Not having a title is going to be an issue, it came with one when it was sold originally. Great bike.
Posted by: jbird710

Re: 1976 Honda XL175 street legality - 07/21/19 05:52 AM

You'll probably have to get a bonded title for it unless you can track down the last owner it was titled under. After that, it's just a matter of getting it inspected and registered. The catch is with the bonded title and if the bike was stolen or if there are any liens on it, you could loose the bike and be out what cash you've paid on it up to that point. For inspections, you don't need blinkers. Hi/lo headlight, taillight, brake light activated by lever & brake pedal, mirror, and a horn should get you past inspection.