TON Forums | Classifieds | Gallery | Links | Home  
TON Logo
Newest Members
Bford96, PT145SS, LaFitte, LoganR, Laura Olson
23181 Registered Users
Who's Online
0 registered (), 155 Guests and 22 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
23181 Members
50 Forums
38023 Topics
248899 Posts

Max Online: 677 @ 03/29/21 12:24 PM
Search

Bike For Sale
Topic Options
#571642 - 08/07/14 10:04 PM Looking for people to trail ride with--Austin area
T-3 Offline
New Boot

Loc: Wimberley area
I live in Austin and am looking for people to trail ride with. Moved here from back East last fall, so not familiar with trail areas, although I've heard Hidden Falls (Marble Falls area) and Crooked Creek (Waco) are good options. Also trails at Emma Long Park in Austin. Or is there anything in hill country west of here? Anyone interested in riding? I ride a Husaberg 570 and generally ride at moderate speeds, but willing to adjust to most levels of riding (except super-fast & crazy). I'm not a racer...just like to go out for a trail ride for the fun and excitement of it. Bike is registered, but I generally truck it to riding area. Have room in truck for two bikes total, so willing to do the driving too.
-T

#571648 - 08/08/14 08:51 AM Re: Looking for people to trail ride with--Austin area [Re: T-3]
edfmaniac Offline
Gang Member

Loc: Austin,TX
Emma Long is super tight with lots of rock ledges and is considered advanced riding. You see a lot of trials bikes and mountain bikes there, but you can get around the loop on a big bike if you know how to ride well enough. Hidden Falls is very, very blown out compared to when they opened the place. It's pretty much all rock but might be fun for someone who just needs a place to go and who doesn't mind having their tires destroyed.

As soon as I'm fully recovered from my auto accident I'll be riding a lot in the area just south of Bastrop. Rusty's properties are open 7 days a week now if you need to get a fix. Call ahead. http://www.texasoffroad.net/forum/ubbthr...ar_C#Post571498

00 KDX220
03 KX250
01 MZ Skorpion
73 Yamaha RD350/R5

#571654 - 08/08/14 11:48 AM Re: Looking for people to trail ride with--Austin area [Re: edfmaniac]
T-3 Offline
New Boot

Thanks Victor. I'll check out Rusty's properties. Maybe I'll switch back to a trials tire on the rear because of all the rocks around here. Ran trials tire back east and it worked great in most all conditions, especially rocks (sand was iffy). Just couldn't get it inspected with it out here. Hmmm, didn't realize Emma Long was super tight single track. Might still have to give it a try. Especially if I end up going riding alone, at least there are lots of folks around for safety.

Still want to try Hidden Falls sometime. Sounds like a variety of skill levels, so I could start out on easy/fast and go to more technical stuff later in the day.
-T

#571656 - 08/08/14 01:10 PM Re: Looking for people to trail ride with--Austin area [Re: T-3]
Bigbirdmx44 Offline
TON Member

Loc: Schertz,TX
I would say no on the Trials tire idea. The terrain here is so vast you need a good knobby for soft/inter ground. Good rule of thumb is if you are east of Austin its going to be sandy or black dirt and you will never even see a rock. This area is where Rusty's properties are located. Murphys is out there also. Almost all the AMSA ride days are east of town because the riding is awesome.
Hidden Falls and Emma are nothing but rocks and they are also fun. Just a different type of riding. Hidden Falls has a bunch of elevation and really fun.

#571657 - 08/08/14 01:16 PM Re: Looking for people to trail ride with--Austin area [Re: Bigbirdmx44]
Lumberjack Offline
Trail Blazer

Loc: Cedar Park, TX
T

You might consider the AMSA ride days since that is what this forum is about.

LINK to Next Ride Day

Plus too, you will meet allot of people who want to do what you are wanting to do.

-Larry

#571658 - 08/08/14 01:53 PM Re: Looking for people to trail ride with--Austin area [Re: Lumberjack]
CBaron Offline
Gang Member

Loc: Austin, TX
Originally Posted By: Lumberjack
T

You might consider the AMSA ride days since that is what this forum is about.

LINK to Next Ride Day

-Larry

+1 to this.

I know that we've been thru this discussion before....but I find Emma Long to be quite doable and fun. There is a group of us that try to ride out there on Wed evenings. We've got a loop out there that is adjusted a bit to be more "flowy" if you will. But yes, the trail has a reputation for being tough. So caveat emptor.

Same can be said for Hidden Falls. I love it out there and its got a vast amount of terrain to ride. All the single track stuff is a blast. There are some features out there that I find much more challenging than Emma Long, but *most* of the time you can find another way around them. 75% of the single track out there is rocky and chunky.

Work has been keeping me from riding as much lately. But I plan to get out some more soon. I'll try to post up some ride calls accordingly. It seems there are a few new-to-town guys around here. Would be good to all get together. (maybe a Wed at Emma Long in a few weeks)

Welcome,
CJB

#571678 - 08/08/14 11:50 PM Re: Looking for people to trail ride with--Austin area [Re: Bigbirdmx44]
T-3 Offline
New Boot

Good advice. Although, I ran a trials back East for a season and found it to be excellent in all terrain. Deep, loose sand can always be a problem for traction, but the trials would do alright. I was able to climb sandy hills as well as, or better than most of the others I rode with who had knobbys. Although it could have been tractor like torque of the Husy wink

Trials tire even did well in greasy mud. If there was any traction to be had, it found it. Two of us ran trials and swore by them. We also liked that they didn't tear up the woods trails as bad.

I'll stick with the knobby for now since it's basically new, and see how it goes.

#571679 - 08/08/14 11:54 PM Re: Looking for people to trail ride with--Austin area [Re: CBaron]
T-3 Offline
New Boot

Thanks CJB. I'll watch for those ride calls. Wish I could make Sundays ride day, but not gonna happen this weekend.

Look forward to meeting you sometime!
-T

#571691 - 08/10/14 01:15 AM Re: Looking for people to trail ride with--Austin area [Re: T-3]
edfmaniac Offline
Gang Member

Loc: Austin,TX
I've heard good things about trials tires for mixed terrain use but I think I'd need to get a different rim before I could give one a go on my KX.

00 KDX220
03 KX250
01 MZ Skorpion
73 Yamaha RD350/R5

#588109 - 04/28/16 04:10 PM Re: Looking for people to trail ride with--Austin area [Re: T-3]
AustinTexas87 Offline

Loc: Austin, Texas
Hi,

I'm looking for someone to go trail riding with in or around Austin, Texas. I have a street legal Honda CRF 230f. I also have a TTR 125. I mostly like to trail ride and some track but prefer the dirt trails over rock trails like at Emma Long. That's more like Rock Climbing. Anyway, just a trail rider that is looking for other trail riders to go on Adventure trips with. I have a truck and would be more than willing to drive somewhere. Feel free to text/call me anytime: 512-534-0964

Moderator:  Hoop 

Texas Offroad Network
Sponsors & Partners

TXTEAMM - 830-612-3607 (cell) 210-912-1516 -- txteamm1@gmail.com width=

Texas Offroad Network
* We Support *

Texas 4-H Youth ATV Safety Program

The RiderDown Foundation - Helping Riders Up
American Trails
Locations of visitors to this page