TON Forums | Classifieds | Gallery | Links | Home  
TON Logo
Newest Members
Bford96, PT145SS, LaFitte, LoganR, Laura Olson
23181 Registered Users
Who's Online
0 registered (), 188 Guests and 20 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
23181 Members
50 Forums
38023 Topics
248899 Posts

Max Online: 677 @ 03/29/21 12:24 PM
Search

Bike For Sale
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#98900 - 04/20/04 03:47 PM Generator Question
shannon Offline
Veteran Lunatic

Loc: Houston, TX
I just purchased a Camper Van that is going to need a generator. I need some help figuring out where to get one. I would like to buy one locally in Houston, but if it is cheaper to order one then I am willing to do that. In a perfect world, I would like to have an RV generator that will fit in the compartment, but those appear to be pretty expensive. I’m on a budget so several thousand dollars for a generator is going to be difficult to pull off. I don’t mind using a generator that I have to load and unload into the van, but it needs to be one that a woman can manage lifting. How strong am I? I can pick up a KTM 250 EXC, but I don’t like to. I also don’t want the loudest generator on the planet either, and I don’t want to have to put gas in it every 2 hours (I’m so picky aren’t I).

I don’t have the camper van just yet but should have picked it up within the next week or so, so I do not know the exact dimensions of the generator compartment yet. I like the Onan Camp series generators and I REALLY like the Yamaha 3000W inverter series, but again, they are pretty pricey. I’m thinking something in the $500 - $1000 range is what I would like to get if possible. Also, I’ve been told that I should go with at least a 2000 watt, no less. I'm willing to spend a little more if I ABSOLUTELY have to.

Can you buy dependable used RV generators somewhere?

Sorry for all the rambling, but this is totally new to me so I need a little direction. For reference, the camper van is a Ford E250 Turtle Top Camper Van. It has a roof A/C and a fridge so at the very least I need to be able to run that stuff without tripping the power on the generator.

Bring on the ideas and advice.

#98901 - 04/20/04 04:59 PM Re: Generator Question [Re: shannon]
jimeckroat Offline
Gang Member

Loc: McAllen, Texas
I found a Onan out of a burnt coach for about 50% of new price. You might poll the salvage yards for a wrecked RV and find something.
One of the guy's I ride with bought a Generac RV Generator that is not loud, I can't paste the link, but the address is below.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=47633

QUIETPACT® 40G SERIES 3600 WATT GASOLINE POWERED RV GENERATOR

Good Luck
Jim

#98902 - 04/20/04 08:02 PM Re: Generator Question [Re: jimeckroat]
shannon Offline
Veteran Lunatic

The Generac looks interesting. I found one for $1225 but I can't find anywhere where the tank size and dBA is listed. I thought generacs were known for being noisy but I'm not sure.

Anyone know how to find out the tank size and dBA specs?

$1225 Shipped

#98903 - 04/20/04 08:30 PM Re: Generator Question [Re: shannon]
Hoop Offline

Loc: Beaumont TX
http://www.generac.com

I've got a Generac Primepact 50G in my RV. It's loud, but it's good. I think it's a 400cc single. Generac makes everything from loud and cheap to quiet and expensive.

The Generac replaced an Onan Microlite. I do not recommend the inexpensive Onans. The Onan Emerald series is excellent, I think they are all twins, and spin at lower RPM. Very expensive, though.

#98904 - 04/20/04 10:48 PM Re: Generator Question [Re: Hoop]
Tominator Offline
Poet At Large

Ace Burt and Robbie Chote both have the Honda 3000 Inverters, and they are SWEET! I used Ace's to power my trailer...A/C, inside lights, heaters, and one outside light. You couldn't even hear it running from about 20 feet away. $1600 or so, but super sweet. Are you pulling your bike on a trailer, or a rack?

With the A/C and fridge, you'll need the 3000 watts. It'll surge when you start them, but will pull just fine.

Tom Bailey
Team BFD
KTM 5-sumthin

#98905 - 04/21/04 07:47 AM Re: Generator Question [Re: Tominator]
shannon Offline
Veteran Lunatic

For now, I'm sticking with the rack but I may need to get a trailer. I have not really thought that far ahead yet. I think the Honda generators are like the Yamaha 3000 watt invereters and they are SWEET. I am amazed at how quite they are.

#98906 - 04/21/04 02:42 PM Re: Generator Question [Re: shannon]
Hemibee Offline
Gang Boss

Loc: Conroe / Willis
Shannon

All of our company outlying areas and trucks run Onan's because they are reliable and good on the electric side. Honda or Yamaha may run quieter and may be priced less. 2000kW would be the smallest I would look at. 3000kW would probably be the smallest I would actually buy if it was me. First thing I would do, get the camper first and then find the generator that will fit, you don't want to be horsing this thing around everytime you use it.

#98907 - 04/21/04 09:57 PM Re: Generator Question [Re: shannon]
MotoVated758 Offline
Gang Boss

Loc: Pflugerville, TX
Shannon,

I'm looking for a generator also. I have a toy box with air, fridge, and microwave. Thought about the Yamaha 3000 with the boost for 3500W. I really think I need more of a 4K to 4.5K watt generator though. The AC pulls about 15 amps, the fridge 3, and if you kick on the microwave with the ac and fridge going, you're looking at about 3300 watts minimum. Granted, you can turn off the ac to run the microwave, but with kids around, everything's gonna get run at the same time every now and then. I'd like to see Yamaha come out with a 4K inverter style. They have the quietest generators in the business right now. Even quieter than the Honda's. Good Luck.

#98908 - 04/22/04 02:26 PM Re: Generator Question [Re: MotoVated758]
ChuckyBoy Offline
Gang Member

Loc: Woodway (Waco), Texas
The local Honda - Kawasaki --Suzuki dealer in Waco, Barger's Allsports, has their Kawasaki generators on closeout.

5000W -1799.00
4300W - 1199.00

I think these are pretty significant discounts.

#98909 - 12/27/04 05:01 AM Re: Generator Question [Re: ChuckyBoy]
Opcom Offline
TON Member

Loc: Dallas, Texas
Has anyione tried a small diesel set, like maybe a 6-8KW one from China Diesel, and thought it was durable?

I think a diesel is much better on fuel, but they can be noisy and heavy and are initially more costly. I don't mind if a generator is 200-300 lbs, but over that, they are trouble to load and unload.

Our machines feed the furnace. If they take us they will burn us.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Texas Offroad Network
Sponsors & Partners

TXTEAMM - 830-612-3607 (cell) 210-912-1516 -- txteamm1@gmail.com width=

Texas Offroad Network
* We Support *

Texas 4-H Youth ATV Safety Program

The RiderDown Foundation - Helping Riders Up
American Trails
Locations of visitors to this page