TON Forums | Classifieds | Gallery | Links | Weather | Home   || OEM parts & online schematics || Cycle Gear
TON Logo
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#92787 - 03/14/04 08:34 PM getting the boy started
newmxmom Offline

Loc: Flower Mound
Hey there ladies and/or gentlemen. I am new to this, so forgive any ramblings that I might do. I have recently... in the past 2 mths, gotten my 11 yr old boy a xr80. Truly, neither he nor I know much about how to ride the bike, but he does have some of the very basics down. I was wondering if anyone out there could recommend a good track or riding place that is kid friendly, the people there might be willing to help with any questions that I or he may have and is not terribly technical where he can do some real practicing. Since I don't ride, it would need to be a place that's good for rider trial and error. I am in the DFW area. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

#92788 - 03/18/04 01:28 AM Re: getting the boy started [Re: newmxmom]
SUZUKIQ Offline
Gang Boss

Loc: Schertz, Tx
I surprised no one from the DFW area has chimed in yet. I don't have any advice on areas near you since I'm near San Antonio. I do think it's cool that you're letting him get into riding. My son's first bike was an XR80 when he was 10. I started him out at a housing construction site when everything had just been leveled and was still all dirt. Gave him plenty of room to learn stopping, starting, and shifting without worrying about obstacles. Gradually increased the difficulty level as he got better. He's 18 now and can smoke me at will. Anyway, welcome to the dirt bike world and I hope someone else can give you some good suggestions on places to ride.

#92789 - 03/19/04 12:26 AM Re: getting the boy started [Re: SUZUKIQ]
Tominator Offline
Poet At Large

The XR should be perfect. We've gone through a couple of those with my sons.

Depending on what part of the DFW area you're in, fun places may be fairly close.

Marshall Creek is in Trophy Club, near Grand Prairie. If you go on the weekend, get there very early and leave before the crowd shows up. They have a website listed below for directions.

North of Denton, near Sanger and Valley View is Rocky Ridge. That would probably be my choice for a beginner. They have a small track near the entrance, that's great for kids. Lots of open fields, where he can ride around while you watch. I believe they are also listed below.

Meunster (Red River Dirt Rider's place near Bulcher) is an awesome place, but not real good for a beginner, without an accompanying adult. Save it for later, when the skills come.

Click my username, and send me a PM for more detailed info. I'm in Plano, and we're headed to the Hare Scramble near Austin this weekend. Great series and fun for all ages and skill levels, too.

Check your PM. (flashing flag...)

Welcome aboard, to you and your son.

Tom Bailey
Team BFD
KTM 5-sumthin

#92790 - 03/19/04 05:08 AM Re: getting the boy started [Re: SUZUKIQ]
newmxmom Offline

Loc: Flower Mound
Actually, I just recently moved, but where we were had a great field not too far off that he could walk the bike to..... it wasn't always real level as the heavy equipment rolled through there and trenched it out a bit. But, he learn to get up off his butt and use his hips and knees to get through it. There just isn't anything close by and I need to get a trailer to move the thing. (He has only had it for about 8 wks) Thanks for your help.

#92791 - 04/10/04 01:38 PM Re: getting the boy started [Re: Tominator]
Anonymous
Unregistered

I know this is a crazy question I just want to make sure. Are Go-karts also welcome I have a Yerf-Dog 3203 and I'm looking for a place to ride it. Can go-kart be ridden at Marshall Creek Park. Thanks for the information.

#92792 - 04/10/04 04:30 PM Re: getting the boy started
Tominator Offline
Poet At Large

I've seen go karts at Marshall Creek before, so I assume they are still ok. Take a helmet with you for everybody riding, and you should be alright.

Rocky Ridge allows carts, too. Lots of roads and open fields to ride out there.

Y'all have fun.

Tom Bailey
Team BFD
KTM 5-sumthin

#92793 - 04/10/04 08:55 PM Re: getting the boy started [Re: Tominator]
Gokarter Offline

Where's Rocky Ridge?
Thanks for the information

#92794 - 04/10/04 10:59 PM Re: getting the boy started [Re: Gokarter]
Tominator Offline
Poet At Large

Rocky Ridge is on hwy 51, between Slidell and Era. I'm sure that said it all, right? It's about 30 minutes from Denton.

From Denton, take I35 north to Valley View. Take 922 (Main drag?) west out of Valley View, a few miles to Era (Wide spot in the road). Turn left (South ) on 51, and Rocky Ridge will be on the right, probably 8-10 miles down the road.

Plan to spend the day. They have plenty of shade, and a lake on the backside of the property, too. Fish and swim if you like. Cost was $10 per person, per day. I heard it went to $15, but that's not bad for all day, anyway.

Enjoy.

Tom Bailey
Team BFD
KTM 5-sumthin

#92795 - 04/11/04 12:24 AM Re: getting the boy started [Re: Tominator]
Gokarter Offline

Thanks for the information. It is greatly appreciated.

#92796 - 04/29/06 03:39 AM Re: getting the boy started [Re: Gokarter]
spanky Offline
Gang Member

Loc: denton Tx.
try boondoxxx mx park
www.spankyscycles.com and click on boondox for more info

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Texas Offroad Network
Sponsors & Partners

KTM OF NORTH TEXAS / SLM RACING - 2260 W. Pioneer Parkway - Arlington, TX 76013 - 817-275-2228

KTM OF NORTH TEXAS / SLM RACING - 2260 W. Pioneer Parkway - Arlington, TX 76013 - 817-275-2228

TJ's Cycle - 6208 North Lamar - Austin, TX 78752 - 512.453.6255

Cycle Parts Warehouse - www.cyclepartswarehouse.com

TSCEC Website

Texas 4-H Youth ATV Safety Program

The RiderDown Foundation - Helping Riders Up

Texas Offroad Network
Affiliate Programs
American Trails
Locations of visitors to this page
Outdoor Hub