TON Forums | Classifieds | Gallery | Links | Weather | Home   || OEM parts & online schematics || Cycle Gear
TON Logo
Topic Options
#82530 - 01/21/04 02:13 PM Width of a travel trailer?
roger Offline
Gang Member

Loc: Cedar Creek, TX
I've got a 25' 2003 Jayco Quest and for the life of me I can't remember how wide it is nor can I find it on the web. The best I've been able to find is that most others have a exterior width of 8', is this the norm? What is the legal limit of how wide one can be?

I'm looking at buying a new house and the area where I would have to put it is pretty narrow.

#82531 - 01/21/04 03:30 PM Re: Width of a travel trailer? [Re: roger]
Tominator Offline
Poet At Large

Hey Roger,
102" max (8" 6") is the legal limit without a specail towing permit. Most travel trailers and cargo trailers are 96" to 102".

Funny you mentioned "making it fit" into the driveway. My driveway is exactly 45 feet from garage to alley. I figured out that a 32' Gooseneck would be almost 40' with the rear door down, and I needed a 5' buffer to the alley. So, that's how I sized my rig! If I move, I'm screwed!

Good luck on the house hunting.

Tom Bailey
Team BFD
KTM 5-sumthin

#82532 - 01/21/04 06:21 PM Re: Width of a travel trailer? [Re: Tominator]
roger Offline
Gang Member

Thanks for the info. We are going back out there this Saturday and my camper is in storage and I don't have time to go out there and measure it. I'm going to measure the spot and see how much room I'll have. I'm pretty sure the spot where I can park it is big enough, but I'm worried about getting it in there. There is a tight fit and partial corner getting it in there.

#82533 - 01/21/04 07:26 PM Re: Width of a travel trailer? [Re: roger]
pmkkdx Offline
Have map. Will travel!

Loc: Central Texas, USA, Earth (mos...
rent a crane! just kidding!

what area are you looking at buying/building?

what I did when we were building, was hook on to the largest trailer that I would be pulling and went and drove around to determine how / where I wanted the driveway. I'm not sure you have that luxury.

good luck!
(I only have to amuse myself)

#82534 - 01/21/04 09:06 PM Re: Width of a travel trailer? [Re: pmkkdx]
roger Offline
Gang Member

We are looking at the Lago Vista area. Actually I would like to take the camper there and just see if I can get it in but there are two trees I will have to cut down to do this at all. So it will be a guessing game. But if it wasn't for those two trees I would do just that before I plop down the cash.

#82535 - 01/21/04 09:20 PM Re: Width of a travel trailer? [Re: roger]
pmkkdx Offline
Have map. Will travel!

Loc: Central Texas, USA, Earth (mos...
ah! makes sense to me.

What you might could do is plot out where all the structures are going to be, trees, property line, etc.... like a site plan. Then go to a parking lot and recreate that area with cones or sidewalk chaulk and then try with the trailer... might be a pretty easy work around to get some what of a better feeling about it.
(I only have to amuse myself)

#82536 - 01/21/04 09:43 PM Re: Width of a travel trailer? [Re: pmkkdx]
PALE_RIDER Offline
Gang Boss

Loc: Austin, TX
Roger - if it will help I'll be glad to "store" the trailer on STORM race weekends! Let me know..
I'm sure you thought of this but check with the Deed restrictions or neighbor association as well. Just because it will fit dosen't mean you'll be able to put it there. Even at our last place Kat and I were not allowed "by law" to put our box on the property - but nobody out that way really cared much. Just FYI.
WR450F

#82537 - 01/23/04 06:31 PM Re: Width of a travel trailer? [Re: PALE_RIDER]
roger Offline
Gang Member

That's a good idea about the parking lot and cones, never thought of that.

Aaron about that storing offer, uh..........no, but you and Kat are always welcome to stay with us. One of the things I like about Lago, it has a lot of retired people so lots of RV's. There is a city wide ordinance that says you can have an RV as long as the wheels are on concrete or asphalt. So I will have to pour a pad for it.

Texas Offroad Network
Sponsors & Partners

KTM OF NORTH TEXAS / SLM RACING - 2260 W. Pioneer Parkway - Arlington, TX 76013 - 817-275-2228

KTM OF NORTH TEXAS / SLM RACING - 2260 W. Pioneer Parkway - Arlington, TX 76013 - 817-275-2228

TJ's Cycle - 6208 North Lamar - Austin, TX 78752 - 512.453.6255

Cycle Parts Warehouse - www.cyclepartswarehouse.com

TSCEC Website

Texas 4-H Youth ATV Safety Program

The RiderDown Foundation - Helping Riders Up

Texas Offroad Network
Affiliate Programs
American Trails
Locations of visitors to this page
Outdoor Hub