TON Forums | Classifieds | Gallery | Links | Weather | Home   || OEM parts & online schematics || Cycle Gear
TON Logo
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#71981 - 11/07/03 02:02 PM heater for tents
125mx Offline
Gang Boss

Loc: Conroe Texas
any body know a good heater to put in a tent that will work or do they even make them or is not even a good idea any body got any info on this just wondering

#71982 - 11/07/03 10:58 PM Re: heater for tents [Re: 125mx]
Hoop Offline

Loc: Beaumont TX
camping world sells a propane heater that is rated for indoor use. Called something-buddy, or buddy-something. You might be able to find it elsewhere for less. www.campingworld.com. Sorry to sound like a commercial for camping world, but they have what you need.

If you want to go less high-tech, Wal-mart or Academy sell those parabolic propane heaters that will heat up a tent in no time. The best way to use them is to heat up the tent, get into your high-dollar sleeping bag, and then turn it off. When you wake up in the morning, turn the heater back on, wait til the tent warms up, put your clothes on and then get out of the sleeping bag.

#71983 - 11/07/03 11:37 PM Re: heater for tents [Re: Hoop]
armadillo Offline
Hall of Fame

Loc: New Braunfels, TX
Man this sounds like a burn victim waiting to happen. Too scary for me.
Use your wife or dog to heat up the tent.

But I'd stay away from propane or lighting anything in general. Scary!! Maybe if you have some big Army canvass tent like my folks did when we were kids. But nylon type tents would seem like they'd melt/burn with the heat.

My Governor is a Jewish Cowboy
www.kinkyfriedman.com

#71984 - 11/09/03 03:54 PM Re: heater for tents [Re: armadillo]
125mx Offline
Gang Boss

Loc: Conroe Texas
I CHECKED WITH COLEMAN AND THEY SELL PROPANE HEATERS WITH NO FLAME MADE FOR VINOL TENTS IT HAS NO FLAME SO THEY WORK GREAT FOR TENTS

#71985 - 11/10/03 02:05 AM Re: heater for tents [Re: 125mx]
armadillo Offline
Hall of Fame

Excellent. Good luck with it...

www.kinkyfriedman.com

#71986 - 11/11/03 03:33 AM Re: heater for tents [Re: 125mx]
Fender_Bender Offline
Veteran Lunatic

Loc: Hamilton, Tx
There is always a possable problem then burning any gass indoors. Even if you get a infrared heater.
Anytime you burn LP gas it will give off carbon monoxide and deplete some of he oxygen with in the tent.
Now with that said; I use one inside a enclosed trailor. It is not complety sealed tight therefore
lets in some fresh air. Sleeping on or close to the floor will also help as the fumes are most always
at the top of the tent or trailor. Just please be sure to set the heater so that it can NOT be kick
over in any way. YES, I know it has an auto shut off but it alreally hot and can start a fire if
it lands on some clothing. Set it on something flat and then tie a rope to the handel to help out.
Don't let anyone tell you that infrared heaters are super safe. There is no flame but it just as HOT
as a flame.

Sheldon
TORCS.....153

#71987 - 11/11/03 01:50 PM Re: heater for tents [Re: 125mx]
sprocket-rocket Offline
Gang Member

Loc: Deer Park
125mx.......
Wichever LPG heating unit you decide to purchase (and there are plenty to choose from...catalytic, convection, forced air or radiant) would you please remember this. While each model keeps you nice and toasty in the tent and are now very user friendly, they are not your friend and each has the potential to KILL YOU WITHOUT WARNING. If they burn propane, flameless or not, they produce carbon monoxide as a by-product. You will not see or smell it. Just because it doesn't smell like a campfire inside your tent doesn't mean it's not present. It will be there and symptoms of moderate exposure to the gas can include severe headaches, dizziness, mental confusion, nasuea and a faint feeling. Kinda like I feel every race morning. Bottom line..... to keep momma and the kids safe and happy be smart, be careful and use common sense when you use a heater.

read this

#71988 - 11/11/03 01:59 PM Re: heater for tents [Re: sprocket-rocket]
sprocket-rocket Offline
Gang Member

Loc: Deer Park
one last thing before I step down.

Using a minimum of two smoke detectors in your camper and a good quality carbon monoxide detector is a must. I have ten smoke alarms in my house/garage. I've seen many examples of how they pay off.

#71989 - 11/11/03 04:51 PM Re: heater for tents [Re: sprocket-rocket]
PALE_RIDER Offline
Gang Boss

Loc: Austin, TX

Honda makes some very quite, small, light weight, low watt generators that will give you years of service and allow an electric blanket at night. Might find some other uses during the day as well. Being able to plug in a fan under and EZ up during the summer heat is always nice. It will cost more and you'll need to do some research (electric blanket = watt\volt\amp) but would also allow growth.
WR450F

#71990 - 11/12/03 12:29 AM Re: heater for tents [Re: PALE_RIDER]
Tominator Offline
Poet At Large

Actually, a 1000 watt generator would even pull a small electric heater, like the oil filled radiator type. They have a 600 watt and 900 watt element, so you could run one side and do fine.

Great idea, Gopher. I knew Kat didn't keep you around just for your wheelies.....

Tom Bailey
Team BFD
KTM 5-sumthin

#71991 - 11/12/03 01:07 AM Re: heater for tents [Re: Tominator]
Hoop Offline

Loc: Beaumont TX
In light of all the paranoia in the previous few posts, I would like to reiterate my advice:

The best way to use them (propane heaters) is to heat up the tent, get into your high-dollar sleeping bag, and then turn it off. When you wake up in the morning, turn the heater back on, wait til the tent warms up, put your clothes on and then get out of the sleeping bag.

I think this is a much better solution than running a generator all night.

#71992 - 11/12/03 01:28 AM Re: heater for tents [Re: Hoop]
Tominator Offline
Poet At Large

Hoop, I had paranoia once, but Pepto Bismol got rid of it!

I have to agree with the light it, don't fight it idea. Of course, I have a trailer, so I can't fathom sleeping in a tent anymore. I've lost that hunger.....

Tom Bailey
Team BFD
KTM 5-sumthin

#71993 - 12/04/03 03:26 AM Re: heater for tents [Re: Tominator]
Irishcoffee Offline
Veteran Lunatic

Loc: TEXAS

#71994 - 12/04/03 02:44 PM Re: heater for tents [Re: Irishcoffee]
armadillo Offline
Hall of Fame

Wow...I'm impressed with those. I had no idea. I might just be a convert. They are pricey, but hey can you really put a price on being warm?

This is my dilema for next year's race season...what am I sleeping in????
Tent
Motel
Trailer

Don't know if I can get it together to buy a camper for next season...might just be too much $$$. Depends, but if I got a heater could make tent life decent. Of course I need a bigger tent. lol...

Thanks posting this link...looks pretty good.

www.kinkyfriedman.com

#71995 - 12/21/03 02:21 AM Re: heater for tents [Re: armadillo]
Crpdeth Offline
New Boot

Loc: N.E. Texas
Hey guys, I bought one of these "personal buddys" I love it so much I'm thinking of getting a second one. You can run it on the small propane tanks, or buy an extention like I did and run it on a large bottle, check it out, their pretty inexpensive too.

web page

~Crp

#71996 - 11/11/04 01:49 AM Re: heater for tents [Re: Crpdeth]
iridered2003 Offline
Gang Member

Loc: galveston tx
if you got a genarator you can go to HOME DEPOT and get a small eletric heater that has a fan in it and hang it from the top of the tent! i have one and we camped one nite and it was 27 degrees outside and in the tent it was 80 all nite! no need for blankets or sleeping bags? the wife thought i was crazy but the next moring when she seen ICE on the ground she felt different about that?the heater is for home bathrooms and kicks out about 1350 watts heat! you will need some fishing leader and self tappin screws to make a hanger! ours looks like a hanging plant basket. how about ac? got that too!!

Attachments
215784-tent 003.jpg (119 downloads)

2-2003 honda cr125! JM RACING motor and suspension/v force delta 2 reed's/fmf fatty gold/fmf turbine core 2/applied triple clamp's and renthal twin wall bar's! and a few other thing's i can't talk about!

#71997 - 06/20/05 10:04 PM Re: heater for tents [Re: iridered2003]
ktmlance Offline
Gang Veteran

Loc: Watauga, TX
the ac comment is funny, I actually did that one time myself. I was moving and happened to have an extra window unit laying around.

The problem that i found was the tent was not insulated and therefore as soon as the compressor shut off the tent would heat up it would take a little bit before the compressor would come back on.

Quite a way to spend the night HOT COLD HOT COLD HOT COLD. My brother thought it was annoying more than helpful.

Small electric Blanket is a great idea. I will use that in Colorado this summer.

Edited by ktmlance (06/21/05 06:56 PM)

#71998 - 06/24/05 11:19 AM Re: heater for tents [Re: ktmlance]
iridered2003 Offline
Gang Member

Loc: galveston tx
we put blankets over the top of the tent and it held out at 65 degrees all nite.
2-2003 honda cr125! JM RACING motor and suspension/v force delta 2 reed's/fmf fatty gold/fmf turbine core 2/applied triple clamp's and renthal twin wall bar's! and a few other thing's i can't talk about!

#71999 - 10/01/05 02:54 AM Re: heater for tents [Re: iridered2003]
TomXR400 Offline
Gang Member

Loc: Fort Worth, TX
we camped one night and it was in the teens. all we (me and my wife) had was one crappy cheap sleeping bag and a quilt. Thank god for body heat. There was frost all over everything that morning and the fire by the tent went out around 3am.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Texas Offroad Network
Sponsors & Partners

KTM OF NORTH TEXAS / SLM RACING - 2260 W. Pioneer Parkway - Arlington, TX 76013 - 817-275-2228

KTM OF NORTH TEXAS / SLM RACING - 2260 W. Pioneer Parkway - Arlington, TX 76013 - 817-275-2228

TJ's Cycle - 6208 North Lamar - Austin, TX 78752 - 512.453.6255

Cycle Parts Warehouse - www.cyclepartswarehouse.com

TSCEC Website

Texas 4-H Youth ATV Safety Program

The RiderDown Foundation - Helping Riders Up

Texas Offroad Network
Affiliate Programs
American Trails
Locations of visitors to this page
Outdoor Hub