TON Forums | Classifieds | Gallery | Links | Home  
TON Logo
Newest Members
Bford96, PT145SS, LaFitte, LoganR, Laura Olson
23181 Registered Users
Who's Online
0 registered (), 188 Guests and 20 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
23181 Members
50 Forums
38023 Topics
248899 Posts

Max Online: 677 @ 03/29/21 12:24 PM
Search

Bike For Sale
Topic Options
#60637 - 08/05/03 01:37 PM Onan Gen set up
naga418 Offline
Veteran Lunatic

Loc: Houston TX
Ok Jim I know your out there help me out.

I got a Onan Micolite 2800 out of a motorhome. All I need to do now is rig it up to run without the motorhome. I figure a metal cart of some type, a marine fuel cell, and a battery to use the electric starter.

How did you rig yours up????? Anyone is invited to answer.

#60638 - 08/06/03 04:50 PM Re: Onan Gen set up [Re: naga418]
naga418 Offline
Veteran Lunatic

22 views but no answers

Someone out there has to have some ideas??????????????????/

#60639 - 08/06/03 08:13 PM Re: Onan Gen set up [Re: naga418]
Hoop Offline

Loc: Beaumont TX
doesn't the exhaust come out of the bottom of the generator? Need some kind of support, and some way to get gas to it. I'm wondering if it's worth it to custom-build a frame when you can buy a portable generator that is already set up. Might as well build it onto a hand truck, because by the time you get done, it's going to need some wheels!

#60640 - 08/06/03 09:03 PM Re: Onan Gen set up [Re: naga418]
jimeckroat Offline
Gang Member

Loc: McAllen, Texas
Stephen,
I have the Onan Emerald.
I built frame out of 1 1/2" or 2" angle and then put in crossmembers to match the mounting locations of the generator.
I am not familiar with how the microlite is built.
The Emerald has a fan in it which pulls air through the motor shroud and exhasts through the bottom.
I do know that the microlite runs at a higher speed than the emerald 1800 rpm vs 3000 or 3600.
In any case I am sure that the microlite will give you better service than the "Home Depot" construction grade generators.
I built a rack with shelves, which is bolted on the tounge of my trailer. The generator frame slides into one of the shelves on the rack another shelf holds a 12 gallon fuel tank (from Academy) and cans of race gas. My trailer already had a battery for the interior lights and breakaway braking system, so I used the factory battery and shelf, I had to relocate the shelf to get some vertical clearance, but it was a minor deal.
I reduce the chance of a fuel spill by only carrying the fuel in the bike tanks in the trailer.
I suggest that you make provisions to put a insulated metal or wooden cover over as much of the generator as possible to absorp and direct the noise away from your trailer. Noise is not really a problem, but I plan to do this to my generator to reduce the noise even more.

Jim

#60641 - 08/07/03 10:34 AM Re: Onan Gen set up [Re: jimeckroat]
naga418 Offline
Veteran Lunatic

Thanks Jim

I knew you were out there somewhere.

Been doing a little thinking on the project. I think I am going to make mine portable as apposed to mounting it on the tongue of the trailer like yours (I think we may be getting a new trailer someday soon). Thanks for the info I will use what I can and look me up this fall to see how it all worked out.

Hoop

The main reason for rigging this up is that a new genny that runs as quiet as this one is over $2k. I have a grand total of $100 in this one so far. I have yet to hear a genny run as quite as an Onan even at 3000RPM and they last. I am sure the Honda's are wonderful machines and if I were to buy a new one that would be the route I would go but when you already have one in the garage the quality of this one why not make it work. Plus projects like this keep me off the streets Last but not least I won't be running leaded race fuel in it

#60642 - 08/07/03 01:14 PM Re: Onan Gen set up [Re: naga418]
jimeckroat Offline
Gang Member

Stephen,
Actually my Onan is still portable.
Just disconect the fuel line and battery and release the C-Clamps that hold the frame to the rack and slid it out, it is heavy an a chore for two people to handle.
The base of the rack does sit on the front of the trailer tounge and would have to be modified for a different trailer.
My problem is that I always have a trailer full and getting the genenerator a regular home out of the way is nice.
When we take 3 or less bikes we don't have to unload anything to fold out the bed.
Reaching a destination, uncovering and starting the generator, starting the a/c and folding out the bed is nice late at night.
I checked the Onan website your generator in light, why not mount the battery and fuel tank to the trailer tounge and put the generator on some sort of "big wheel" wagon.

Jim

#60643 - 08/07/03 04:17 PM Re: Onan Gen set up [Re: jimeckroat]
naga418 Offline
Veteran Lunatic

I might just do that meaning mount the battery and fuel tank, then wheel out the genny when needed. It is also small so that helps a lot on space and weight.

#60644 - 08/07/03 10:49 PM Re: Onan Gen set up [Re: naga418]
Hoop Offline

Loc: Beaumont TX
if it makes you feel any better, my motorhome had a Microlite 4000 about 1996 vintage. It had one problem after another, had multiple boards and other major parts replaced. It failed me twice on summer family trips, which is pretty hard to forgive. I finally junked it when the Onan authorized dealer couldn't fix it so that it would stay fixed for more than a month between service visits. I've got a Generac now, and it has been trouble-free.

#60645 - 08/08/03 02:54 PM Re: Onan Gen set up [Re: Hoop]
jimeckroat Offline
Gang Member

Hoop,
I do have to agree about the microlite.
When I was looking for generators several people in the industry told me to stick with the Emerald and to stay away from the microlite. The main complaint was engine speed.
However Stephen, has bought this one right and it gives him someting the tinker with.
The battery and fuel tank are something he can use on a later generator, besides that he might be lucky and have a good microlite.

Jim

#60646 - 11/18/06 07:47 AM Re: Onan Gen set up [Re: jimeckroat]
nujac Offline
TON Member

Loc: Comal County
I am working on the same project. I have a 4000 watt Onan that I pulled out of a Motor home and plan on installing it on my toy hauler. I plan on bolting it to the front of my toy box trailer. To get fuel for the generator I plan on adding a extra fuel line to my current 40 gallon gas tank that is on my 3/4 pickup truck. The fuel connects will be the same quick dissconnect type that I use on my boat tanks. The main reason for this is to avoid having old gas sitting in my camper tank and not having to carry around extra weight. I will be able to run the generator when not hooked up to the truck by just connecting my boat 6 gallon gas tank. The 6 gallon boat gas tanks can be picked up at walmart for about $30.

Texas Offroad Network
Sponsors & Partners

TXTEAMM - 830-612-3607 (cell) 210-912-1516 -- txteamm1@gmail.com width=

Texas Offroad Network
* We Support *

Texas 4-H Youth ATV Safety Program

The RiderDown Foundation - Helping Riders Up
American Trails
Locations of visitors to this page