TON Forums | Classifieds | Gallery | Links | Weather | Home   || OEM parts & online schematics || Cycle Gear
TON Logo
Topic Options
#592803 - 08/11/17 11:40 AM Transitioning to New Terrain...advice?
Ken Allhands Offline

Loc: Liberty Hill, TX
Hello All...noob to the board looking for a bit of guidance.

I'm a vet rider (late forties, 225 lbs.) with a son who is getting into pee-wees in a big way (thanks, Little Speedsters). His interest is getting me back into the dirt.

However, all of my riding experience came from my time in the woods, trails or frozen lakes of Michigan. Mud...sand...tight pines...soft terrain. In that world, the KDX200 or the KTM200EXC were the go-to bikes for those who occasionally chose to get aggressive while still being able to ride with the family. If adding vet-moto, the list expanded to a YZ250 with a torque pipe and flywheel weight. Everyone kept a spare set of wheels with studded tires for ice riding.

So, now I'm in Liberty Hill, looking at brush, cactus patches, open rocky terrain, and mud only being an option after a surprise rain. I'm clueless at what the appropriate go-to bike for this region would be, much less what tire selections would be appropriate for this ground.

Thoughts from the peanut gallery on what I should be looking at down here for my "do-it-all" bike in this new, hot, dry place? Tire recommendations? Anything I need to keep in mind that wouldn't occur to an Eastern-enduro guy?

Thanks in advance for any input.

#592821 - 08/13/17 09:39 PM Re: Transitioning to New Terrain...advice? [Re: Ken Allhands]
Danger16 Offline
Gang Member

Loc: Fort Worth, TX
I would recommend the KTM 350 E-XCF, or 350 XCF. The "E-XCF" is a more mellow bike and better suited to trail riding and enduro. The "XCF" is a more aggressive bike designed for off-road racing, and is capable of being ridden on motocross tracks. At 225 lbs, I think the 350 is probably better than a 250 XCF, but the 250 is a very capable bike. You'll get multiple opinions, but the KTM 350's are great all around motorcycles.

As for tires Texas is a medium terrain tire state. There are areas where a hard or soft terrain tire may work better, but a medium normally works ok. I would start with the Dunlop AT-81 rear tire, and a Bridgestone M59 front as a starting point.

Good luck and welcome to Texas.

Moderator:  Hoop 

Texas Offroad Network
Sponsors & Partners

KTM OF NORTH TEXAS / SLM RACING - 2260 W. Pioneer Parkway - Arlington, TX 76013 - 817-275-2228

KTM OF NORTH TEXAS / SLM RACING - 2260 W. Pioneer Parkway - Arlington, TX 76013 - 817-275-2228

TJ's Cycle - 6208 North Lamar - Austin, TX 78752 - 512.453.6255

Cycle Parts Warehouse - www.cyclepartswarehouse.com

TSCEC Website

Texas 4-H Youth ATV Safety Program

The RiderDown Foundation - Helping Riders Up

Texas Offroad Network
Affiliate Programs
American Trails
Locations of visitors to this page
Outdoor Hub