TON Forums | Classifieds | Gallery | Links | Home  
TON Logo
Newest Members
JamesBot, RobertUrish, Jamesacark, TrevorTeand, Bford96
23185 Registered Users
Who's Online
0 registered (), 68 Guests and 24 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
23185 Members
50 Forums
38023 Topics
248899 Posts

Max Online: 677 @ 03/29/21 12:24 PM
Search

Bike For Sale
Page 6 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#407593 - 04/04/09 03:05 PM Re: Any old Dallas Riders?? [Re: Joe Warner]
JoeySkinner Offline
Gang Boss

Loc: Denton TX
Here's a place in Richardson www.actionvideoservice.com to convert your film. I'd love to see it. You can do it yourself with a projector and a camcorder but the quality won't be a good. Here is some converted 8mm video of me and some friends racing in Austin around 1977. Click here

skinnernetphoto
My Videos

#409567 - 04/17/09 08:32 AM Re: Any old Dallas Riders?? [Re: JoeySkinner]
ktmyama99 Offline

anybody remember anything about Dallas County Motocross in Mesquite.

#550697 - 02/04/13 05:41 PM Re: Any old Dallas Riders?? [Re: Joe Warner]
rockymtnron Offline

I recognize the name Kimbrell. I was about 10 yrs old but my dad knew John(?) Kimbrell. He was a sponsor of the racing team that we belonged to; "Team Gas-It". One of his riders was named Lloyd Denbo who rode a 501 Maico. This guy was crazy on two wheels. Also a few of us went to California in '74 to race in the annual Barstow to Vegas desert race. We moved to Utah in '76 and we came back to visit a couple of years later. Kimbrell was no longer involved with Maico and took up with Suzuki. Haven't seen anyone since.

#565873 - 01/24/14 03:01 PM Re: Any old Dallas Riders?? [Re: runswithbeer]
KJ816 Offline

Hey man, I just found this site today. I'm from Euless and raced at Moiser and all the Texas tracks.

#565874 - 01/24/14 03:02 PM Re: Any old Dallas Riders?? [Re: JoeySkinner]
KJ816 Offline

Hey man, I like your photo site and bought a pic from you.
There are LOTS of good pics on there!
Keith Jernigan

#570853 - 06/24/14 11:39 PM Re: Any old Dallas Riders?? [Re: RonnieBarnes]
A KINNEY Offline

THIS IS WAY TO COOL
RONNIE BARNES, ART KINNEY HERE. DON'T FORGET ABOUT SATURDAY PRACTICE AT THE FLOOD GATES BEHIND THE DAM.
RIDERS FROM EVERYWHERE WOULD COME OUT

#570881 - 06/25/14 08:32 PM Re: Any old Dallas Riders?? [Re: A KINNEY]
A KINNEY Offline

ANYBODY REMEMBER THE RACE AT MOSIER VALLEY WHERE IT WAS SO HOT WE WERE IN THE WATER TRUCK TO COOL OFF AND THE TROPHIES HAD A HORSES A** INSTEAD OF A MOTORCYCLE. WRAPPING ICE PACKS AROUND THE SHOCKS(YES PLURAL) TO COOL THE OIL OFF.

#595360 - 05/29/18 11:25 AM Re: Any old Dallas Riders?? [Re: deemit60]
Joel76 Offline

Loc: Ohio
Hi! Sorry I'm late to this thread.

I lived in Plano from 1980 to 1993 and remember Rabbit Run quite well. In fact I googled the name and this site popped up.

So, it's cool seeing old photos that you guys posted and hearing the old stories.

What I remember from back then is moving to Texas to work at TI and discovering a motocross track just a few blocks away! It was shut down but still people were riding there. I showed up in Texas with a Ford Pinto and a Suzuki 185. After riding the track and out riding the bikes limits / crashing I looked in the Greensheet and found a 79 Suzuki RM125 from a sponsered pro racer out in .... I'm thinking it was Garland. I bought that bike and wow!! what a great machine.

Crashes

So the worst thing that happened to that bike is I was racing some other guy and launching over this hill every pass. For some reason I stayed on the gas too long and was looping out at about 35 mph or so. What I didn't know was I could have stabbed the rear brake and saved it, but instead I pushed the bike away from me in mid air and landed on my tailbone and tumbled down the rest of the hill. That hurt! It felt like a rod had been sledgehammered up my spine and I'm lucky I didn't break my back.
The bike was just fine.... moly bars weren't even bent.

Another cool crash was getting sideways on an 80 YZ250 and taking my knee out. I had to go in for surgery for that little dealy. mad

That Plano dirt was like concrete when it was dry. But still a cool track that I could ride to from my 16th street apartment.

I'll post some pictures later on.

Edited by Joel76 (05/29/18 11:26 AM)

#595362 - 05/29/18 01:36 PM Re: Any old Dallas Riders?? [Re: Joel76]
Joel76 Offline

Loc: Ohio
Oh yeah, Munster Tx.

I met Steve Pendleton (sp?) from Plano Honda and he mentioned a group of guys and their kids were going up to Munster for the weekend and asked if I'd like to go? I think by that time I had a Yamaha IT200 enduro, so I said sure! What an awesome place that was. So much land that you couldn't cover it all in a weekend. The hills, creeks and endless trails were great. The quicksand was kind of a mess to get stuck in but other than that, it was cool.

Most of the guys were older than me (I was early 20s) but they were very fast riders, so I learned a lot about riding quick and smooth by watching how they set up for corners and the lines they would pick. One of the boys was right up there with us so when the older guys were worn down, I still had someone to ride with. By the end of the weekend, we were spent and it was a long drive home. There was a killer BBQ place that we hit on the way back. Oh yeah, night riding was a freaky thing, I've never tried it before and it was spooking not knowing what lurked in the shadows.

There there was a hare scrambles somewhere north of Austin. I did it twice and got 2nd place expert one year and won the same 175-200cc class riding an IT 175 against a bunch of KDX200s. The problem was the heat. It was 101 degrees out and they were going to shorten the race but didn't. I was crispy fried and from hour 2 to 3 it was just hang on for dear life and finish. That was exciting.

Finally, Ft. Hood.

If you ever want to get lost, thats a great place to get lost. I only rode there one time, but wish I would have gone more!! Again, it was hot, hot, hot!! and the fear was being really lost and getting low on gas. That was a bad combination. A compass back then was the best thing EVER!

Ok, some pix:

Showed up to Dallas with this thing and soon learned there must be a better way...

First couple are Rabbit run.

79 RM125

This was a 80 YZ250

Busted knee

This is at Rabbit Run. I figured I couldn't ride dirt bikes, so I bought a 4x4 and had fun that way.

Somewhere near Austin

Eventually moved up to a 200

I wish I had more Munster shots

Great bike but too late, I was done racing.

Ok, that is about all .... I love talking dirt bikes and motor sports in general. I hope I didn't bore anyone to death.

Dallas was a cool place in the 80s but I went back in 2014 and holy crap, everything I remembered was paved over. Plano was 67,000 in 1980 and now it's pushing 300K. Anyway, some good memories!!

#597302 - 09/13/20 11:38 AM Re: Any old Dallas Riders?? [Re: deemit60]
Eric Kromm Offline

Late to the web! Carrollton RLT. Rode a lot at Grapevine Lake,Lewisville spill way, Chrysler. Carters Yamaha TC,Leo,Elmer.Raced a little Stemmons, Lake Whitney,Muenster, Lake Livingston. 1975 High School Mx at Whitney. Recognized several names on post. E Kromm

Page 6 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Texas Offroad Network
Sponsors & Partners

TXTEAMM - 830-612-3607 (cell) 210-912-1516 -- txteamm1@gmail.com width=

Texas Offroad Network
* We Support *

Texas 4-H Youth ATV Safety Program

The RiderDown Foundation - Helping Riders Up
American Trails
Locations of visitors to this page