TON Forums | Classifieds | Gallery | Links | Home  
TON Logo
Newest Members
JamesBot, RobertUrish, Jamesacark, TrevorTeand, Bford96
23185 Registered Users
Who's Online
0 registered (), 68 Guests and 24 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
23185 Members
50 Forums
38023 Topics
248899 Posts

Max Online: 677 @ 03/29/21 12:24 PM
Search

Bike For Sale
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#560246 - 09/15/13 08:53 PM Unsportsmanship and uncalled for
ridered Offline
Gang Daddy

Loc: peaster, tx
During the 2:30 race on saturday, my nephew was leading the overall and was behind a slower over 52 int rider on a KTM. He revved his bike and gave a whoot whoot. The over 52 int rider went down ( not due to contact as there was none). He got up, grabbed my nephews bars and started yelling at him and wouldn't let him go. We have a pretty good idea as to who it is, he said he had very bushy grey eye brows..lol we wish the gopro was recording but it wasn't. The person knows who he is, now see if he mans up to it...

#560261 - 09/16/13 12:44 AM Re: Unsportsmanship and uncalled for [Re: ridered]
BrentP Offline
New Boot

Well I am new to TORN.. My son and I began racing this past year. We are doing absolutely the best we can. We are in the Open Novice class. He went down hard this weekend. They took him off on the board - everything seems to be ok and his possible back fracture is not serious. He was down quite a while.
After reviewing GoPro and based on my own personal experience, there seems to be little in the way of rider etiquette.. By this I mean - faster rider etiquette.. He went down because of a rider pushing from behind.

I know, this is racing - that's just the way it goes - if your your not fast enough. get off the track.. Right? Well..

I disagree..

When I hear the whoop and whisky throttle of those behind me I try to pull off as soon as possible. In my first two years of TORN I have personally been knocked over by five faster riders. Perhaps I am a slow, fat over aged thick browed far who should trade my KTM in for a Harley.. The description above was not me but I have contemplated the same actions several times. My first response has been "OK I am new to this sport and perhaps I have no business being out here.'' But - if you want to grow this sport and you have any expectation of any of us coming back (young and old), and your skill is so completely advanced from ours - you can pass me without checking me into the gulley..

TORN has been an impressively well run and an exceptional Christian atmosphere for our family and friends to enjoy. We are getting faster and practice regularly. We are doing pretty well given our experience and skill. If you don't want true Novice riders - just say the word and we will move on..

Again - I was not the rider that who lectured the young nephew, but I have considered it on at least four other occasions.

As a matter of fact - I commend the over 52 int rider for schooling this self-centered throttle jockey. Perhaps if he practiced a little more he could actually ride in a faster class earlier in the day.

Sorry everyone - my response is coming form a father's stand point after witnessing his son go down hard - apparently from a "love tap" from a different class.
One last rant and then Im done.. What is the criteria for racing in the Open Novice class - Sick and tired of the sandbagging.

Sorry for the soap box TORN family - we have GoPro Too!

Oh and by the way, the medical staff and EMT's at TORN are exceptional -- we can never repay you.

TORN newbie

#560263 - 09/16/13 01:32 AM Re: Unsportsmanship and uncalled for [Re: BrentP]
ktm250mike Offline
Hall of Fame

Loc: Euless, Tx
I understand where your coming from BrentP, but it was stated that there was no contact. The kid did not put the older rider down.

396 black
872 Red ladies Exp

Thanks go to my wife, without her race weekend wouldn't happen for us.
Sponsors: Advocare ( Racewithchampions.com)
Action Motorsports.

#560274 - 09/16/13 08:54 AM Re: Unsportsmanship and uncalled for [Re: BrentP]
ridered Offline
Gang Daddy

Loc: peaster, tx

As a matter of fact - I commend the over 52 int rider for schooling this self-centered throttle jockey. Perhaps if he practiced a little more he could actually ride in a faster class earlier in the day

[/quote

Well Brentp, maybe that guy should drop down a class or two.I can tell you this. This was his first torn race as they just moved here from Cali. This is the welcome they got. If that is how you deal with pressure of a faster rider you need to find a new hobby this isnt for you. I can tell you we are not happy about this, you do not grab someones bike and point and yell at them. If he did that to me at my nephews age he would be looking for the emts. I commend my nephew for handeling the way he did. You shouldn't go to race and have to be bullied by a buahy eyebrow old man

Edited by ridered (09/16/13 08:57 AM)

#560281 - 09/16/13 10:31 AM Re: Unsportsmanship and uncalled for [Re: ridered]
lonehusky Offline
Gang Member

Ok guys there is a two way street there, there are some aggressive fast riders and slower riders that won't move, more so on the second, hopefully riderred it was the heat and track cond that caused that and the person is not normally like this.. (As far as brentp goes) sir first off I'm glad your son is ok, but I think you are incorrect on your point of view as to what happend, ( I was the sweeper that was directly behind your boy, and the two boys behind him, the boys were just getting to your son when he went down, and both of those boys stopped and gave up there race to make sure your son was ok and helped the whole time, after removing the bike and making sure he was not in immediate danger from injury, I was talking to him to keep him calm till the medics got to him, I asked him if he remembered what happend? His answer to me was my dad was in front of me and I was trying to get a pass on him an hit the ditch to hard and wrecked, so the answer to that is he was riding aggressive himself and messed up, it's happend to all of us and I'm sorry it happend but its unfair to blam people because your mad about the insadent ...

#560282 - 09/16/13 10:35 AM Re: Unsportsmanship and uncalled for [Re: ridered]
BaH Offline
Gang Boss

Loc: Fort Worth, Tx
In my years of riding dirt cycles and bmx bikes when I was a kid every time I made contact with another riders rear tire I always went down. Now this might be cause I suck at both but that's how I remember it.

I don't think there is a right or wrong answer and there isn't a good or bad answer to this on going problem of passing on a dirt cycle. Its a dangerous sport at any level and you will always have people that move and people that don't. But I will say if you got up after you went down in front of me and grabbed my bars and started yelling at me you would have the word RENTHAL across you forehead. I wasn't there but I do believe that this kind of action is totally uncalled for.

That's my 2 cents for what's it worth.

#560288 - 09/16/13 11:51 AM Re: Unsportsmanship and uncalled for [Re: BaH]
David_513 Offline
Gang Boss

Loc: Round Rock,TX
Im with BAH.....it is an aggressive sport. i believe most riders are trying to be safe, i have seen very little unsportsman like action at TORN. the guy is lucky that he grabbed a childs bars. obviously the kid was cool about it. grab my bars and were having problems.

Revving your bike and giving a hoot is a courtesy to let a slower rider know you are about to pass.

I guess i wasnt there so i wont pass judgement. happened on the track....keep it on the track.....hope it doesnt happen again.

Edited by David_513 (09/16/13 12:48 PM)

#560296 - 09/16/13 01:10 PM Re: Unsportsmanship and uncalled for [Re: David_513]
ThePrinterGuy Offline
Gang Boss

Loc: Texas
I too am a 052 int rider: When I and most guys in my class race and am approached by a faster rider I will hold up one finger (index), so you know I am about and a knod or a boot pointing where to go so the pass can be made quick and safe. I another series I ran the novice lites would be a row behind and you knew even if leading that one or 2 were coming. I have actually been thanked by more than one how clear and easy the pass was. We know youre coming but we will let you get to us then move over but we are not going to pull off and wait. The youth need to know to be patient- even if it takes a lil longer. It is a slower riders advantage to let the faster rider by as you may possibly pace them and catch up to your next class position. I couldnt make this race.

#560303 - 09/16/13 02:31 PM Re: Unsportsmanship and uncalled for [Re: ThePrinterGuy]
BrentP Offline
New Boot

Thank you Lonehusky for all of your help Saturday. We have the whole incident on GoPro and I am amazed at how quick and helpful you were. The camera was on the ground so it is impossible to see who was actually there to help. Everyone handled this like professionals and we could not be more pleased. You are also correct - he was riding aggressively (good for him) but it appeared and sounded like he was bumped. He was not on the throttle and you could hear from the engine that he was coasting. You could also hear the bike from behind and it appeared to pass immediately. After watching again, it may be a rider that quickly went by then came back to help.. In any event, other racers and you were there quickly and I know others would have done the same thing.
He did say he was trying to pass me but he is always trying to pass me. I never knew he was behind me and I was shocked to see myself on the video right in front of him for two laps. I knew this day would come..

Printerguy gives great advice and my son and I will talk about how to communicate to riders and let them pass quickly.

Regarding Ridered's thread - if no contact was made and the over 52 int rider just went down I would doubt this would illicit any kind of physical or verbal response. Tough to say - it's your word against his.. Or perhaps there was some dirty racing before he went down.. I will leave it up to these two to deal with it or just leave it on the track like David said..

My frustration comes from my own experiences of getting bumped off the track - all of the yelling and whisky throttling as you come up behind me doesn't help me move over faster. There were times this Sat that my handlebars barely fit between trees - let me get through them and I will move out of the way.

I also agree Ridered - this was not a great welcome for your nephew. Sorry for that. I have never seen or heard of a rider getting off his bike after a crash and confronting another rider in a TORN event (I have at NASCAR and AMA Supercorss - and those guys are professionals). We all lose our tempers and it is never a good thing. I guess Im not sure what the proper response is to being knocked off the track by another rider. When this has happened to me, I try to assume that it wasn't intentional and give them the benefit of the doubt. When it happens in places where it is impossible for me to get out of the way - I get mad.. When it appears to happen to your son and he's carried out on a board - well, maybe the on track lecture would be hard to resist even for me.

There are many things about both of these incidents that I can learn from. I am happy to be racing with ALL of you and I am delighted that my boy is up and running. We love this sport and I could not ask for a more awesome opportunity to spend with my family. My boys will be gone and out of the house in a few years and I will always look back and covet this time.

Peace

#560317 - 09/16/13 06:23 PM Re: Unsportsmanship and uncalled for [Re: BrentP]
soulvillemusic Offline
TON Member

Loc: Keller, TX
BrentP, I was put another thread up asking about your son not realizing you were posting in this one. There were several of us that helped by directing traffic, getting his bike out etc. while lonehusky was attending to him. I didn't catch the name of the boy on the CRF150 but he was the one who came up and told us what was going on. I'm really glad he's ok. I was worried after seeing him lay there for so long.

Glad he's doing ok.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Torn_Racing 

Texas Offroad Network
Sponsors & Partners

TXTEAMM - 830-612-3607 (cell) 210-912-1516 -- txteamm1@gmail.com width=

Texas Offroad Network
* We Support *

Texas 4-H Youth ATV Safety Program

The RiderDown Foundation - Helping Riders Up
American Trails
Locations of visitors to this page