TON Forums | Classifieds | Gallery | Links | Weather | Home   || OEM parts & online schematics || Cycle Gear
TON Logo
Topic Options
#548736 - 01/03/13 01:19 PM GPS help
Tjheller Offline
Gang Member

Loc: Midland
Looking at buying a new GPS unit for dual sport and was wondering if anyone here had a suggestion? I do lots of Colorado stuff,...mostly marked FR's. thanks in advance for any replies.

#548891 - 01/06/13 02:26 AM Re: GPS help [Re: Tjheller]
pdl Offline
Old Boot

Loc: amarillo, texas
I have ran the Garmin 60sc for the last couple of years. Only issue I have had is it shutting off while on trail. I need to hard wire it to my battery. With the RAM mount system it is easy to use on the trail.

#548902 - 01/06/13 07:46 PM Re: GPS help [Re: pdl]
EnduroRdr Offline
Gang Boss

Loc: Tomball TX
Originally Posted By: pdl
I have ran the Garmin 60sc for the last couple of years. Only issue I have had is it shutting off while on trail. I need to hard wire it to my battery. With the RAM mount system it is easy to use on the trail.

What pdl says! Yes if your bike has a battery best to hard wire a power source and get a good mount. I like the RAM Bar mount for my bikes.
I have had a Garmin 60CSX for about 5 years+. Still going strong - I even dropped my bike in a slippery creek crossing in Arkansas where the bars went under water - it is still going strong. I have North America Streets and TOPO maps (although i seldom load more than 2-3 states worth of maps in the 2 gig mini SD - both versions TOPO and STREETS).
Its kind of tricky to switch back and forth so I usually just stay in one map type format for the entire ride. If I am being routed (a route is usually shared prior to a group ride) then I always use streets maps. If I am given a track to follow (like in SHNF) then I will likely use TOPO so I can see terrain info like elevation changes or small stream crossings that are approaching etc.

Learning to use it takes some time but in the end - The Garmin Hand held models are the most popular for D/S riding. Just take a look at what's on the handlebars at any gathering and most have a Garmin.

Most of the time I am in Street maps. They route turn by turn and even the smallest little dirt road is usually in them.

The major difference is TOPO will route "Point to Point" in a straight line, Streets will route via roads so it tells you which way to go at each intersection.

Go to these other forums and there are tons of tutorials to help you learn faster.

http://ridedualsport.com/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=b8fadddb14f1caf17dbe5a1aa41cfac8&board=76.0

http://advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=37

http://www.trailheadfinder.com/trail_search/gps_tutorials

There is tons of info out there - you just have to invest your time to learn how to best use it regardless of brand.

#549258 - 01/12/13 12:05 PM Re: GPS help [Re: EnduroRdr]
Tjheller Offline
Gang Member

Loc: Midland
Decided on a Montana, thanks for the replies.

Moderator:  BIZZZARE, Bobby, Capt.Jack, Hoop, My6 

Texas Offroad Network
Sponsors & Partners

KTM OF NORTH TEXAS / SLM RACING - 2260 W. Pioneer Parkway - Arlington, TX 76013 - 817-275-2228

KTM OF NORTH TEXAS / SLM RACING - 2260 W. Pioneer Parkway - Arlington, TX 76013 - 817-275-2228

TJ's Cycle - 6208 North Lamar - Austin, TX 78752 - 512.453.6255

Cycle Parts Warehouse - www.cyclepartswarehouse.com

TSCEC Website

Texas 4-H Youth ATV Safety Program

The RiderDown Foundation - Helping Riders Up

Texas Offroad Network
Affiliate Programs
American Trails
Locations of visitors to this page
Outdoor Hub