TON Forums | Classifieds | Gallery | Links | Weather | Home   || OEM parts & online schematics || Cycle Gear
TON Logo
Topic Options
#508154 - 07/11/11 02:21 AM Is Riding "ditches" or construction legal.
JimJim Offline

Loc: Southwest Houston, TX
Is it legal to ride in the ditch of a county road or a state road in Texas on a plated motorcycle? Would it be against the law to jump a curb and turn off into a field? How about a road under construction (assuming no "no trespassing" signs)? Can you get a ticket for proceeding past the "road ends" sign / reflectors? Finally, what about state land that is not longer used for its original purpose. We have a ton of former farmed state land that is just waiting on developers to snap it up (it is no longer farmed). We also have a ton of ditch levies some of which don't have a gate or any signage to keep off.

Any tips you all would provide to help me stay legal would be well appreciated.

#510830 - 08/21/11 12:59 AM Re: Is Riding "ditches" or construction legal. [Re: JimJim]
Greg Offline
Vet AMSA Director

Loc: Austin, TX
They are putting in a short section of road to complete a road that bypasses my neighborhood. When they first started, they blocked off a piece that was the back way into our neighborhood because it will become part of the bypass road. At first, people would move the barriers and drive into the neighborhood like they always did. I talked to a LEO there one day and he said the fine was something like $500 for moving the barricade and another few hundred for driving around it. So if it's a ROAD CLOSED sign, I would guess that could get expensive if the officer wanted to make his quota that day.

Greg

Moderator:  BIZZZARE, Bobby, Capt.Jack, Hoop, My6 

Texas Offroad Network
Sponsors & Partners

KTM OF NORTH TEXAS / SLM RACING - 2260 W. Pioneer Parkway - Arlington, TX 76013 - 817-275-2228

KTM OF NORTH TEXAS / SLM RACING - 2260 W. Pioneer Parkway - Arlington, TX 76013 - 817-275-2228

TJ's Cycle - 6208 North Lamar - Austin, TX 78752 - 512.453.6255

Cycle Parts Warehouse - www.cyclepartswarehouse.com

TSCEC Website

Texas 4-H Youth ATV Safety Program

The RiderDown Foundation - Helping Riders Up

Texas Offroad Network
Affiliate Programs
American Trails
Locations of visitors to this page
Outdoor Hub