TON Forums | Classifieds | Gallery | Links | Weather | Home  
TON Logo
Topic Options
#481683 - 10/22/10 01:09 PM City Park Trail Direction Arrow Question
zrx24 Offline
Old Boot

Loc: Austin, TX
There is a big red arrow at the top of the one of the climbs that points MOSTLY to the right. It's the only arrow of that type (large red arrow on white back ground).

I have to laugh every time I see it though. It seems there has been a struggle over it's direction since the trail direction has changed. Sometimes I've seen it pointing left, which is properly indicating the current trail direction. But for the most part it's pointing to the right, which leads to a dead end. Well actually, to the right leads to the old asphalt road.

Anybody know what's so special about that particular arrow, and why it's directing people to what is essentially a dead end? Is it maybe an emergency crew arrow indicating a trail exit?

#481749 - 10/23/10 12:52 AM Re: City Park Trail Direction Arrow Question [Re: zrx24]
DMan100 Offline
TON Member

It's an emergency exit arrow. At one point there was a black and white (standard) arrow beneath it pointing to the left.

#482226 - 10/28/10 01:11 AM Re: City Park Trail Direction Arrow Question [Re: DMan100]
natenick Offline
TON Member

Loc: Austin, Texas
I have seen those arrows used at City Park for mountain bike race events and they don't seem to use the standard loop, so maybe it is left over from that.

#483038 - 11/04/10 11:10 PM Re: City Park Trail Direction Arrow Question [Re: natenick]
Greg Offline
Vet AMSA Director

I know the one you're talking about. A nice, big metal rectangle, white with a big red arrow. We move it around to mark that intersection for the trials event loops. Otherwise, nobody uses it. Unless it leads them astray!

Greg

#483250 - 11/06/10 11:14 AM Re: City Park Trail Direction Arrow Question [Re: Greg]
tracetrimble Offline
Gang Boss

Loc: Austin
This sign caused an unscheduled getoff last weekend! A buddy was following me, got too far behind to see my dust/smoke, and went right at the sign. I turned around to look for him, we found each other moving pretty fast at a blind corner, and I grabbed the front brake too hard. My left hip has been sore all week! haha
TORCS #598 Open A, KTM 300XC
www.powersportparts.net #iridedunlop #lucaslegion #twinair #leatt #spyoptic #hookit

#483251 - 11/06/10 11:17 AM Re: City Park Trail Direction Arrow Question [Re: tracetrimble]
tracetrimble Offline
Gang Boss

Loc: Austin
Oh, and if you take a right on the asphalt road, go about 50', and take another right, it's a fun little section that drops you back on the main loop closer to the entrance. We used to go this way most of the time when the trail went clockwise.
TORCS #598 Open A, KTM 300XC
www.powersportparts.net #iridedunlop #lucaslegion #twinair #leatt #spyoptic #hookit

#483286 - 11/07/10 02:38 AM Re: City Park Trail Direction Arrow Question [Re: tracetrimble]
Greg Offline
Vet AMSA Director

There are two very ugly trials sections down that way. The Expert/Master line to your left is always difficult. Big boulders with terrible approaches. One year I laid out the novice/amateur line to the right, with a sloping cedar stump/log thing right before the exit. It rained Friday night. It was the third loop before that log dried enough for people to get over it cleanly.

Back to the topic... that arrow is not like the Main Loop markers that the city put up. I think there may be a second one like it up near the highest part of the loop but it's not really in play with the loop running the way it is now.

Sorry to hear about your fall. I did the exact same kind of crash one year when we were setting up for a trials event. Two of us were hauling in opposite directions and I grabbed too much front brake. It took several months before my right shoulder felt right. That's one trail where it's well worth it for this old guy to stay off the ground!

Moderator:  Kingham 

Texas Offroad Network
Sponsors & Partners

KTM OF NORTH TEXAS / SLM RACING - 2260 W. Pioneer Parkway - Arlington, TX 76013 - 817-275-2228

KTM OF NORTH TEXAS / SLM RACING - 2260 W. Pioneer Parkway - Arlington, TX 76013 - 817-275-2228

TJ's Cycle - 6208 North Lamar - Austin, TX 78752 - 512.453.6255

TX Toy Sales - 1600 Globe Ave - Fort Worth, TX 76131 - 817.655.0651

TSCEC Website

Texas 4-H Youth ATV Safety Program

The RiderDown Foundation - Helping Riders Up

Texas Offroad Network
Affiliate Programs
American Trails
Locations of visitors to this page
Outdoor Hub