TON Forums | Classifieds | Gallery | Links | Weather | Home   || OEM parts & online schematics || Cycle Gear
TON Logo
Topic Options
#450719 - 01/23/10 11:01 PM new truck. haw haw haw.. snort.. heh.
Opcom Offline
TON Member

Loc: Dallas, Texas
Been a while. Usually I do the ATV thing but have always liked a rugged hauler.

I traded the little M35 deuce in for this. Well, actually some friends and I built this and I drove it home from Chester IL (The home of Popeye) to Dallas TX. The weather as we got caught in the recent cold spell ranged from 1 to 12 degrees and we worked outdoors most of the time, as it would not fit inside the shop. Lots of difference between 25 degrees Texas got, and the weather up there. A whole lot of difference.

Anyway, it's a raw truck now but the big stuff is done. It will take a year or two to get it spec'd out the right way (a/c, a bunk, put the ham radio gear back in. It could even get a potty. maybe, not sure how to do that.). This one, the chassis and cab is real nice, very little needed, and has the 800+ cubic inch Cummins. The big thing to do is to get the rust gone on the body and then put a coat of rhino liner on the top.

Special stuff separating it from other military 5-tons:
2500 lb lift gate for ATV or whatever (kegs..)
onboard Diesel generator
16.00x20 tires on LAV rims (52" tires, cruises at 60)

The basic truck is an M818 tractor and box is off an M109 so the rig is nice and compact. Wish it had a wench as well, but can't have everything.

There is a video here of it being driven
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PwVM4PfD

and some videos while we were building it:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DRjgtGypXiQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wbE_fsJ9WBI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KMJQb23RRk0

Hope this is interesting. It was sure fun building it.

Our machines feed the furnace. If they take us they will burn us.

#481876 - 10/25/10 06:34 AM Re: new truck. haw haw haw.. snort.. heh. [Re: Opcom]
Opcom Offline
TON Member

Loc: Dallas, Texas
It's been a while since there was anything to report. There are the complete pictures of this "American Diesel Fitters" build here:

http://www.bunkerofdoom.com/travel/ss2009/index.html

We are the Brotherhood of American Diesel Fitters.

Since the last report it's received original type 11.00x20 tires back on it. It was in my opinion hard to handle on the highway with the 16.00x20's and safety is a primary concern.

The top speed issue was not really addressed with the 16.00x20's anyway. With them it redlined at 63, and it is easy to redline when running 60 and letting it feel its oats. The normal redline with stock 11.00x20's is 52, and duals in the rear axles are great in case of a flat because there's always a spare.

So that's where it is now.

Then last month or so I decided to do some more research into getting a reasonable road speed out of it and considered the Road Ranger RTOO transmission, several auxiliary gearboxes, and changing the axle gears. All of those have their pros and cons.

The RTOO transmission has two overdrives but still does not break 65MPH at redline, and it is 3" longer than the stock one so that means moving the T-case back due to an already very short driveshaft between the transmission and transfer.

The auxiliary trans idea (Spicer 6453 or 8031C) would require moving the transfer case 28-33" back and ending up with a very short rear driveshaft, no good for the large suspension articulation available.

The differential gears (found 4.99's -yes someone is sitting on a pile of them) would run about $3000 per set (4 gears for the double reduction 5T Rockwells), and there are three axles so that is 9K for parts alone and that does not fit the budget.

The solution seems to be a little-known but available Rockwell transfer case from another military 5-ton truck. It has a high range that is 0.73 OD instead of the usual 1:1. Not even the big rebuilders know about this -they just rebuild, not customize.

The case has a bad rap for exploding in low reverse, but the conditions under which that happens are a 650 FT LB engine plus an Allison automatic trans with a deep 7.xx:1 reverse gear, plus a 50,000 lb combined GVW (it is originally a 6x6 semi tractor), and a driver with a lead foot. The foot gets it every time. Those conditions don't exist in a 25K lb truck with a standard transmission and no trailer. There is no reason to ever use low reverse anyway on these trucks. If it is that stuck, a recovery needs to be done.

A couple wise guys have built up custom trucks with this T-case and suggested it for the project. This new case would make the 2100RPM redline at 71MPH. 60-65MPH will cruise all day at 1800-1900 without beating on the engine with that T-case.

I bought one and it is being shipped to the heavy duty transmission shop now. All the possible solutions except the diff gears meant R&R the T-case anyway and this is big bucks on a 5-ton truck, so why not just use this other one with the OD? It even comes with the mounts, and the frame of the truck is standard 34" so it should fit right in.

The reason this is getting done in a shop is because the case weighs 450 lbs and I don't have that heavy a transmission jack, not going to buy it to do the job once as much as I like to wrench. I should be clear about the 5-ton military truck. 5 tons is the worst case offroad rating. It's rated 10 tons when used on an acual road. The project is moving along, just slow because it's costing. I figure the first place it'll show up is Brushy Creek near Dallas TX once this is done. It hasn't been driven much because I can't stand doing 50MPH and having a line of cars and 18-wheelers 2 miles long behind me.

Our machines feed the furnace. If they take us they will burn us.

Texas Offroad Network
Sponsors & Partners

KTM OF NORTH TEXAS / SLM RACING - 2260 W. Pioneer Parkway - Arlington, TX 76013 - 817-275-2228

KTM OF NORTH TEXAS / SLM RACING - 2260 W. Pioneer Parkway - Arlington, TX 76013 - 817-275-2228

TJ's Cycle - 6208 North Lamar - Austin, TX 78752 - 512.453.6255

Cycle Parts Warehouse - www.cyclepartswarehouse.com

TSCEC Website

Texas 4-H Youth ATV Safety Program

The RiderDown Foundation - Helping Riders Up

Texas Offroad Network
Affiliate Programs
American Trails
Locations of visitors to this page
Outdoor Hub