TON Forums | Classifieds | Gallery | Links | Weather | Home  
TON Logo
Topic Options
#480382 - 10/12/10 02:22 AM Rant: City Park (campgrounds)
tracetrimble Offline
Gang Boss

Loc: Austin
I have been camping at Emma Long by the water for years, but after this past weekend I'm not sure I will be back for a while. The nightly rates have gone up 66%, from $15/night to $25/night for waterfront utility camping. The vehicle fee went from $8 to $10 per day. One guy on the staff (Bobby, I think) is consistently very rude, yet totally inconsistent with parking etc enforcement for all campsites. They are also letting an ice cream truck drive back and forth thru the sites with that unnerving music playing all day.

They are also now charging for EACH vehicle you bring into the campground, including a bike in the back of your truck. Some friends came down to our campsite last weekend to go riding with us, we rode up to the trail from our campsites (which we have been doing for years), and they stopped us on the way back to charge each of us $10 to re-enter.

Do any of you that are tight with Victor or someone else with the park know what's going on? Unless this is some kind of misunderstanding, I won't be back for a while. There are much quieter, cheaper, and prettier places to camp on Lake Travis that are convenient to Hidden Falls.

Edited by tracetrimble (10/12/10 02:23 AM)
TORCS #598 Open A, KTM 300XC
www.powersportparts.net #iridedunlop #lucaslegion #twinair #leatt #spyoptic #hookit

#480400 - 10/12/10 03:31 AM Re: Rant: City Park (campgrounds) [Re: tracetrimble]
Motomofo1 Offline
Gang Boss

Loc: San Antonio
So you stay at the campground, down on the waterfront... and ride your dirt bike all the way over to the riding area? If I am understanding correctly (and you aren't on a dual sport), I'm surprised you've been getting away with that for years.

#480455 - 10/12/10 04:37 PM Re: Rant: City Park (campgrounds) [Re: Motomofo1]
tracetrimble Offline
Gang Boss

Yes, we've been doing that for the last 2 winters. It surprised me too at first that they allowed it. The gate staff knew we aren't plated, but said the entire area in between is park land so it was no problem. They still didn't seem to have a problem with the actual riding in and out part, although we didn't bring it up, but just wanted the extra $10.

I have no problem loading my bike in the back of my truck at the park to go up and ride (which is easier on my knobbies, too), but as I understood it, they want to charge $10 to haul your bike in and out of the park, even if you don't take it out of your truck in the park. Their only suggestion was to stop and chain our bikes to trees in the parking lot at the trailhead. Paying $10 per bike that you won't start or maybe even unload in the park is ridiculous to me, though.
www.powersportparts.net #iridedunlop #lucaslegion #twinair #leatt #spyoptic #hookit

#480596 - 10/13/10 03:35 PM Re: Rant: City Park (campgrounds) [Re: tracetrimble]
Greg Offline
Vet AMSA Director

Loc: Austin, TX
Haven't seen you in a while Trace!

We have had trials events for several years at City park and one thing that has always been a constant is that riding on the road from the campgrounds to the motorcycle trails was illegal. That's from the park manager, Albert. Although the road is inside the park, APD can still ticket you for riding a dirt bike on it. Maybe the people at the gate didn't care and knew the chance of being caught was near zero. Whatever the case, camping has always been a problem with the trials event due to the road riding being illegal. If we ever got caught letting thirty campers all ride up the road to the motorcycle trails for our event, we'd probably never get to use that place again! wink

Maybe this story has something to do with the ice cream truck: http://www.ci.austin.tx.us/parks/commercialuse.htm

Seems like common sense to not charge a per-vehicle fee for something in the back of the truck that can't legally be ridden in the campgrounds. Maybe the front gate folks are just poorly-trained. That, or the economy has hit the Austin Parks and Recreation Dept hard and they were instructed to do that. Seems wrong, though.

Hidden Falls isn't really comparable. It's hundred$ per year to join, or a pretty high day-use fee to ride for a day. At least it's bigger. For all the problems, City Park is still a bargain and all that most people can handle for just $8.00 per year.

What you need to do is acquire a trials bike and free yourself from the loop!

Greg

#480604 - 10/13/10 04:09 PM Re: Rant: City Park (campgrounds) [Re: Greg]
tracetrimble Offline
Gang Boss

I'm fine with hauling to the trialhead, and not surprised to learn that it's actually illegal. It always felt kinda weird riding up there on the asphalt anyway. Up til last weekend, though, the gate staff just waved when we rode by (again - we had talked to the gate staff about it a couple times, and had been out there overnight just three weeks ago and rode to the trails that time too with just waves from them).

I totally agree, City Park is an amazing place to have so close to home for so little money. I will always day-ride there until it gets shut down by the new rich neighbors. The CP campground just seems to be becoming more irritation and expense than it's worth, especially in the winter when we aren't using the lake anyway.

#480605 - 10/13/10 04:11 PM Re: Rant: City Park (campgrounds) [Re: tracetrimble]
tracetrimble Offline
Gang Boss

Oh, and now that cooler weather is back, I'll be back around. smile

Moderator:  Kingham 

Texas Offroad Network
Sponsors & Partners

KTM OF NORTH TEXAS / SLM RACING - 2260 W. Pioneer Parkway - Arlington, TX 76013 - 817-275-2228

KTM OF NORTH TEXAS / SLM RACING - 2260 W. Pioneer Parkway - Arlington, TX 76013 - 817-275-2228

TJ's Cycle - 6208 North Lamar - Austin, TX 78752 - 512.453.6255

TX Toy Sales - 1600 Globe Ave - Fort Worth, TX 76131 - 817.655.0651

TSCEC Website

Texas 4-H Youth ATV Safety Program

The RiderDown Foundation - Helping Riders Up

Texas Offroad Network
Affiliate Programs
American Trails
Locations of visitors to this page
Outdoor Hub