TON Logo
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#480341 - 10/11/10 07:53 PM Re: City Park Lap Record? [Re: dieselndixie]
zrx24 Offline
Old Boot

Loc: Austin, TX
Originally Posted By: dieselndixie
I really dont want to sound like a wuss, but I still havent talked myself into riding out there again yet. Last time I rode was literally about 2 years ago on my xr400. It seemed everytime I rode there, I broke something. It was difficult, but not in a fun challenging way.

It would really help if I could ride local , since my riding buddies are all getting lazy, I end up riding alone these days. I would much rather be close to home if something went wrong.

long story short. are you guys saying that the trails are "easier" than they used to be? I hear talk of bypass trails...I dont ever remember being able to bypass anything. Im pretty sure I have drug my bike up a rock out there before.

give it to me straight...if im just being a baby say so. but if trail conditions have improved enough for the big bikes, let me know.

There are bypass trails now around most the tough stuff, which is something that's never been allowed before. That was one of the things worked on during the work day that was mentioned above. I've never used them, but from what I've seen they do allow a person to avoid the really gnarly stuff if you so desire. Though there are still a few sections that you might have to endure. Unless I just haven't seen the bypass for those areas I'm currently thinking of.

All that is certainly not to say you won't still break something. Even some of the "easy" stuff out there can jump up and bite you from time to time.

#480381 - 10/12/10 02:10 AM Re: City Park Lap Record? [Re: zrx24]
tracetrimble Offline
Gang Boss

Loc: Austin
I've only ridden there twice since the direction change (boating takes over in the hot months), but it definitely does not flow as well and the longest consecutive uphill sequence is only about 3-4 ledges now.

You guys that are doing sub 30 min laps, I'm impressed. Are you doing both sub-loops (the one to left across the ridge above the parking lot, and the one at the back with the entrance & exit right next to one another)? I'm on for a time trial!
TORCS #598 Open A, KTM 300XC
www.powersportparts.net #iridedunlop #lucaslegion #twinair #leatt #spyoptic #hookit

#480402 - 10/12/10 03:49 AM Re: City Park Lap Record? [Re: tracetrimble]
DMan100 Offline
TON Member

I'm doing the full loop. Computer/Odometer shows 6.25 miles. Here's a good map, with the main loop in red.
http://www.xenopuselectronix.com/images/CityPark.jpg

My best time is 28 min, best "no touch" lap is 4 touches. I recently put on some fresh Intermediate/Hard terrain tires which seems to help.

Natenick, you never mentioned your best time? From your signature, looks like you've got the right bike for City Park.

#480422 - 10/12/10 01:05 PM Re: City Park Lap Record? [Re: DMan100]
zrx24 Offline
Old Boot

Originally Posted By: DMan100
I'm doing the full loop. Computer/Odometer shows 6.25 miles. Here's a good map, with the main loop in red.
http://www.xenopuselectronix.com/images/CityPark.jpg

That's a great map! Much better than the old black and white one I've been using for years.

#480427 - 10/12/10 01:24 PM Re: City Park Lap Record? [Re: DMan100]
natenick Offline
TON Member

Loc: Austin, Texas
28 is a good time for me as well.

So who is going to take charge of the time trial event? I'm happy to help.

#482374 - 10/29/10 01:00 PM Re: City Park Lap Record? [Re: natenick]
zrx24 Offline
Old Boot

Well, looks like it's the same lap time for me in either direction. Got a fairly clean (not perfect) timed lap in yesterday evening that timed out at 24:05.

I was really surprised. I just knew it was going to be a few minutes slower than running clockwise. The trail just doesn't feel like it flows as well counter clockwise. But apparently it does. The clock don't lie.

As for a time trial event, I can't imagine there would be that big a draw. There are so few people that actually ride out there with any regularity.

Maybe we could just plan a date/time for the people involved in this thread to get together out there for a little fun.

smile

Edited by zrx24 (10/29/10 01:03 PM)

#483040 - 11/04/10 11:14 PM Re: City Park Lap Record? [Re: zrx24]
Greg Offline
Vet AMSA Director

I am so tempted to bring my trials bike out there for a hot lap. Actually, DeeKay is probably the fastest one I've personally seen out there, trials bike or regular bike. Though I've heard of our local AA riders going there sometimes and I would give them plenty of room if I heard them coming up the trail on the main jet!

Greg

#483249 - 11/06/10 11:09 AM Re: City Park Lap Record? [Re: Greg]
tracetrimble Offline
Gang Boss

In!
www.powersportparts.net #iridedunlop #lucaslegion #twinair #leatt #spyoptic #hookit

#484277 - 11/15/10 02:58 PM Re: City Park Lap Record? [Re: tracetrimble]
tracetrimble Offline
Gang Boss

So I rode alone yesterday, and timed myself on a no-stops lap... I was also right at 28 minutes, with about 7 or 8 dabs. I was pleasantly surprised.

I'm off work all week next week and itching to ride in this nice weather.

#484278 - 11/15/10 02:59 PM Re: City Park Lap Record? [Re: DMan100]
zrx24 Offline
Old Boot

Originally Posted By: DMan100

My best time is 28 min, best "no touch" lap is 4 touches.

Ok, need some clarification on the rules of the "No Dab" game.

Am I DQ'd if I have a tip over?

How about if I dab, but then have to actually get off the bike to reposition? Is that a DQ?

After I left you guys yesterday I ended up doing a full lap to see how I could do. Talk about a whole different ball game! Corners where I would normally throw a foot out motocross style to square up became slowly negotiated corners. I also had to pay MUCH more attention and be MUCH more precise with my line choice up some of the climbs to make sure I didn't put myself into a dab situation.

Anyway, completed the loop with one dab, one tip over and one need to reposition. How would that score? I'm thinking DQ.

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Kingham 

Texas Offroad Network
Sponsors & Partners

KTM OF NORTH TEXAS / SLM RACING - 2260 W. Pioneer Parkway - Arlington, TX 76013 - 817-275-2228

KTM OF NORTH TEXAS / SLM RACING - 2260 W. Pioneer Parkway - Arlington, TX 76013 - 817-275-2228

TJ's Cycle - 6208 North Lamar - Austin, TX 78752 - 512.453.6255

TX Toy Sales - 1600 Globe Ave - Fort Worth, TX 76131 - 817.655.0651

TSCEC Website

Texas 4-H Youth ATV Safety Program

The RiderDown Foundation - Helping Riders Up

Texas Offroad Network
Affiliate Programs
American Trails
Locations of visitors to this page
Outdoor Hub