TON Forums | Classifieds | Gallery | Links | Home  
TON Logo
Newest Members
Bford96, PT145SS, LaFitte, LoganR, Laura Olson
23181 Registered Users
Who's Online
0 registered (), 188 Guests and 20 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
23181 Members
50 Forums
38023 Topics
248899 Posts

Max Online: 677 @ 03/29/21 12:24 PM
Search

Bike For Sale
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#475461 - 08/21/10 11:54 AM New to Off-Roading
ARAD Offline

Loc: Katy, Tx 77449
I am new to this and would like to find out where I can go to ride my dirt bike. Not into racing, just want to have fun and play. I have a small bike TTR 110 Yamaha. Can anyone tell me legal places to ride around Houston & Katy, TX area and where do I go to find the info out on the places.
Thanks smile

#475512 - 08/22/10 11:33 AM Re: New to Off-Roading [Re: ARAD]
BIZZZARE Moderator Offline
Bizarre Czar

Loc: Friendswood,TX
The Natl Forest has a lot of trails.It does require a spark arrestor,and annual State sticker to ride there.TRH operates Skull Creek park,but membership is currently full for 2010.
There is a spot off of I-10 in Katy across from Wildwest Honda,that I see some guys riding at ocassionally.I don't know if it is legal or not though.
#414 TRH,TORCS,EVO,XTREME,and any other series

#475517 - 08/22/10 02:20 PM Re: New to Off-Roading [Re: BIZZZARE]
KTM Coles Offline
New Boot

Loc: Katy, Texas
The place across from Wild West Honda has now been posted so you cannot ride there, and the land owner has the Sheriff department watching it. There was also a few places on the north side of I10 but all of them have now posted them also and will ticket anyone riding there.

There is a place behind the Academy on I10 near 99 that has a track all the way around it and some trails inside that so far no one has posted or stopped us from riding. Not a big place and not alot of challenges, but a good place to burn some gas and not be ran off yet. There are 2 lots, the one direct behind Academy is not open as the owner will run you off. The other one is at the next block south of Academy and you can see a definite track around the property. You can get there by passing Academy on the feeder road, turn right on the next street, then the next street on your right you turn on and the field is the one on the left. Cross over and you can drive over the curb and park on the grass and unload. There are a few small mounds of dirt in the middle section and a few wooded trails cut into it also. We go there sometimes to get in a little riding and it is close to home in Katy and gives my son some riding time to get more comfortable on his SX65. I run my SX250's there and enough straights to get up to wide open throttle. We are Skull Creek Members but been too hot to go there much lately and is about an hour away from Katy. Skull Creek is a great place and lots of different riding so join TRH and get on the waiting list for Skull Creek next year. Let me know if you want to meet near Academy some day and we can talk about Skull Creek as a guest.

Other than the National Forest and Skull Creek, except some of the MC Tracks have some trails, there are not many more places to ride legally. There was some trails at Lake Somerville, but the Corp of Engineers has closed the facility for good now and will not reopen it.

Dale

#475519 - 08/22/10 04:31 PM Re: New to Off-Roading [Re: KTM Coles]
doctorD Offline
Gang Member

Loc: El Campo
I know, it's hard to find places to ride sometimes, but, there are more places to ride than twenty years ago,,I've seen landowners let riders on there land, and have a good agreement for many Years,, sometimes, the riders have to work with the Deerhunters, like Myself,,and work-out hunting times, in certain locations,,but,,overall,, it's better than it used to be.......Changing the subject,, I am going to put on The(CUTTING-EDGE)Fun Run,,,,I figure it will be two Weeks after Eric's harescramble, on the tenth of October,,It's to raise money for a new lawnmower at SC,,hopefully, it will be cooler by then, it ain't no fun working in the desert,,,but,, Barry G,,had a good idea, You Fat Cat's, send some green to Juliet, and We will get a mower when We need it,, which is right now,,I will work hard to make this fun run a success, and We will repay any contributions,, Barry, glad to see You step up to the plate First....I know I am going to need a lot of help, Someone that does the flyer thing, Someone that signs up the riders, and, We can't forget the trophy's.... other than that, I think We will raise enough money for that Mower...since it will be close to Holloween, I might bring some skulls to hang on the tree's,,,let Me know if there are any volunteers out there......have a good one .........Dr.D..

#475522 - 08/22/10 04:49 PM Re: New to Off-Roading [Re: doctorD]
BarryG Offline
Old Boot

There are still a few ATV parks available suitable for cruising around on your TTR: General Sam's is about 600 acres just north of Huntsville; Soggy Bottom ATV park is in Bryan, Texas. I think both of those places still charge $20/day. Each has a website giving all the details. There are other ATV parks out there, but those are the closest that I know of. I used to go to General Sam's frequently...before I joined THE club.
2001 XR-400

#475547 - 08/23/10 12:06 AM Re: New to Off-Roading [Re: BarryG]
Nacho Nate Offline
Hall of Fame

Loc: Katy Texas
Rio Bravo has trails, up near the airport. 3 Palms mx park has trails, but I havent ridden them yet. I use the SHNF or go to local races. Most of the hare scramble series are now allowing open practice for 2-3 hours on sat afternoons, so even if you dont intend to race, you could still pay to ride on some cool ranch properties around the area. Pricey option though. There is a small mx track south of Richmond which is beginner friendly and has a kiddie track which is good for rookie adults too, I have run a quad on it just for fun for a couple hrs. Narrow, but good fun for newbies.

Nate

Nacho Nate
Kronreif Trunkenpolz Mattighofen 450xcw (plated)

#475559 - 08/23/10 09:49 AM Re: New to Off-Roading [Re: Nacho Nate]
Pullenmefinger Offline
Super Shopper

Loc: Webster, TX
ARAD you can come ride with us at Skull Creek next weekend. I am going to camp out there all weekend. It's $15 dollars to ride a 3000+/- acre property. I don't know what your skill level is, but there's always some you can ride with. Like Kenny(Kenzo), he's slow a dog poop.

I like you idea Dr.D...
TORCS TRH #49
www.trh-cycle.org - www.cyclegear.com - www.cycleshacknorth.com - www.houstonyamaha.com - www.rockymountainatv.com

#475560 - 08/23/10 10:10 AM Re: New to Off-Roading [Re: Pullenmefinger]
Kenzo Moderator Offline
MasterCrasher

Loc: Clear Lake City
Originally Posted By: SlowPoke122
ARAD you can come ride with us at Skull Creek next weekend. I am going to camp out there all weekend. It's $15 dollars to ride a 3000+/- acre property. I don't know what your skill level is, but there's always some you can ride with. Like Kenny(Kenzo), he's slow a dog poop.

I like you idea Dr.D...

u haven't seen the dogs(or their poo!) around my place! :-p

Edited by Kenzo (08/27/10 08:30 AM)
TRH/Skull Creek #611
AMA Member

"iz spellz dis way on porpose!" :-p

#475911 - 08/26/10 11:06 PM Re: New to Off-Roading [Re: Kenzo]
ARAD Offline

Loc: Katy, Tx 77449
Thanks everyone for all the information. And thanks for the offer to ride this weekend at Skull Creek, but I won't be able to make it. But I hope the offer stands for a later date. Where is SC located at? Well I leave here in Katy in Bridgewater Meadows, there are a few of us who just play around in the few little dirt trails of the sub-division, not sure if we're really supposed to be doing it but now one has told us anything about or posted the land yet. I noticed the land off of I-10 and 99, is that over across from Cinemark movie theater? I am wondering if they have posted it yet, guess I'll have to take a ride over there tomorrow and check it out. I do know where the Academy is on the opposite side of freeway. Like I said I wasn't sure where it is legal to ride at. I did do some research and found out about SHNF, I just need to get a OHV decal. I also looked into 3 Palms as well, but that will have to be at a later date and time since they require full dress attire. Right now I just have the bike, helmet, pair of gloves. They require boots, pants, goggles, and jersey and other protection from what I get from the web-site, plus the mention of insurance. D#@n how much insurance is a person required to have. I have home-owners, health, 2 liability policies, and plus full cov of jeep with un-insured motorist. DO ya think that is enough, shouldn't one of those cover me? LOL cool

#475921 - 08/26/10 11:49 PM Re: New to Off-Roading [Re: ARAD]
KTM Coles Offline
New Boot

Loc: Katy, Texas
The property by the Cinemark is posted and they will ticket so stay out of those fields.
Three Palms has some trails or they use to that you can ride and not be on the track, which does not require full MX gear, but boots in my opinion are a good investment to protect your ankles, feet and legs. I have thanked them many times during desert and trail riding as roots, limbs and trees reach out and get you when you watching the trail ahead and cut a corner close.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  BIZZZARE, Grouser, Kenzo 

Texas Offroad Network
Sponsors & Partners

TXTEAMM - 830-612-3607 (cell) 210-912-1516 -- txteamm1@gmail.com width=

Texas Offroad Network
* We Support *

Texas 4-H Youth ATV Safety Program

The RiderDown Foundation - Helping Riders Up
American Trails
Locations of visitors to this page