TON Forums | Classifieds | Gallery | Links | Home  
TON Logo
Newest Members
Bford96, PT145SS, LaFitte, LoganR, Laura Olson
23181 Registered Users
Who's Online
0 registered (), 174 Guests and 22 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
23181 Members
50 Forums
38023 Topics
248899 Posts

Max Online: 677 @ 03/29/21 12:24 PM
Search

Bike For Sale
Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
#463012 - 04/19/10 11:45 AM Re: FYI--State Farm Homeowners Insurance [Re: gasgasman]
woodsguy Offline
Pappa Boar

Loc: Huntsville
Originally Posted By: gasgasman
Originally Posted By: woodsguy

Curious where you got this info, if true I'll cancel my policy.

2008 Sierra Club report -page 31

Thanks,weird they insure us! Kinda a double standard.

TORCS 70

#465606 - 05/09/10 06:51 PM Re: FYI--State Farm Homeowners Insurance [Re: Irishcoffee]
450Gunner Offline
Hall of Fame

Loc: Katy, TX.
That time is in traffic of course!! AND Huricanes move very slowly...
Note to self......Wheel side down!!!
Thanks to my Major Sponsor...ADVIL!!
John 3:16

#468206 - 05/27/10 01:20 PM Re: FYI--State Farm Homeowners Insurance [Re: 450Gunner]
Other_Dirt_Nerd Offline
Old Boot

Loc: Texas
Hi all -

I had my meeting with Nationwide agent yesterday afternoon (26 May) and asked about my dirt bike and quads getting covered with my homeowner's policy. Basically, since these are unlicensed vehicles, they are treated as personal property when they are parked in the garage. In other words, if something bad happens to the house, these are covered just like furniture, etc. Out of the house is another matter but I was concerned about when these things are in the garage.

Hope this helps some of you.... And yes, I like Nationwide and been with them since 1996 when we moved to Texas.
TSCEC Over 45 C #884
TORN Over 45AM #591
Joined the Orange Nation - KTM 250 XCF
Sponsor: My Wife and her prayers, SMS Racing

#468226 - 05/27/10 03:19 PM Re: FYI--State Farm Homeowners Insurance [Re: Other_Dirt_Nerd]
ktmlance Offline
Gang Veteran

Loc: Watauga, TX
Well that is not how most of the insurers view that situation. They mostly all exclude any item which could be insured by a more appropriate policy. So if you have a VIN on your bike your better off with a motorcycle policy. If you don't use it to maintain the residence or if it has a vin the chances are it is not covered by HO policy in TX.

There are lots of Brokers and Agents who misunderstand this if your curious read your own policy or call and speak with an adjuster or underwriter.

Also if you don't have a title or MSO you can't prove ownership so your SOL with or without insurance.

#468250 - 05/27/10 07:50 PM Re: FYI--State Farm Homeowners Insurance [Re: ktmlance]
AmberT Offline
Gang Daddy

Loc: Bedford, TX
Yep, definitely read your policy and don't take their word for it. My agent didn't beleive me until I showed it to him in print.

#468276 - 05/27/10 11:34 PM Re: FYI--State Farm Homeowners Insurance [Re: AmberT]
Loonatic Offline
Gang Member

Loc: McKinney
For those of you that have State Farm or anybody else, look at Amica. Seem to be a good company (I haven't heard anybody complain) and the rates were very good. Low deductibles too even in Houston. When I got a quote from State Farm they offered me a 5% "named storm" deductible. What a load of crap.

#468296 - 05/28/10 10:11 AM Re: FYI--State Farm Homeowners Insurance [Re: Loonatic]
DeeKay Offline
Hall of Fame

Loc: DeeKay Island
Absolutely...you must READ YOUR POLICY! The agent may say anything...but that is not what your contract is. Your contract is your policy.

Most all homeowners policys (and vehicle policies) exclude off-road vehicles....SPECIFICALLY! That is to say read very carefully and I would demand a specific statment in writing that says your motorcycle is covered.

I know that my coverage does NOT include off-road motorcycles. Nor does your vehicle insurance. So if your rig gets in a wreck or stolen...your dirt bike is NOT COVERED in the insurance.

Talk is cheap. Get a WRITTEN, SIGNED STATEMENT! Make sure that you address RACING.

Insurance companies, like all businesses, exist to MAKE MONEY! They have many, many ways to "exclude" claims. DO YOUR HOMEWORK before you blithly announce some "salesman" said, "oh, sure your bikes are covered..no problem!"

Deekaying...from legalized extortion!

#468551 - 06/01/10 02:16 AM Re: FYI--State Farm Homeowners Insurance [Re: DeeKay]
CADDMAN6 Offline

Loc: BEST STATE EVER TEXAS
THIS IS TRUE. THEY SAY "YOUR COVERED" BUT YOUR NOT. I GOT A 3500 POLICY TO COVER MY BIKE FROM FIRE THEFT OR IF I LOOSE IT OFF THE TRAILER OR WHATEVER FOR 46 BUCKS FOR 6MONTH. NO DEDUCTIBLE! FROM STATE FARM.

#468746 - 06/02/10 04:14 PM Re: FYI--State Farm Homeowners Insurance [Re: CADDMAN6]
Other_Dirt_Nerd Offline
Old Boot

Loc: Texas
Well, I stand corrected. My agent (she's apparently new to the local Nationwide agency) called me back after she checked with the national-level source just to be sure. You bet, I'm not covered with the house policy. I told her that I've been living with this misinformation for several years and she's the only one who bothered to take the time to find out what's really up. Unfortunately, my contract doesn't state either way.

So, I'll be adding the dirt bike and quads to the current motorcycle policy when I get her the VINs.

And no, I'm not going to dump Nationwide for this mistake. They've actually been pretty good over the years; just the local agency has been lazy until this new agent showed up.

Thanks for the heads up and information.
TSCEC Over 45 C #884
TORN Over 45AM #591
Joined the Orange Nation - KTM 250 XCF
Sponsor: My Wife and her prayers, SMS Racing

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

Moderator:  pentonrider 

Texas Offroad Network
Sponsors & Partners

TXTEAMM - 830-612-3607 (cell) 210-912-1516 -- txteamm1@gmail.com width=

Texas Offroad Network
* We Support *

Texas 4-H Youth ATV Safety Program