TON Forums | Classifieds | Gallery | Links | Weather | Home   || OEM parts & online schematics || Cycle Gear
TON Logo
Topic Options
#444834 - 12/11/09 08:29 PM Clueless mom needs your advice
karolinap Offline

My son's dad bought my son a 50 cc bike for Christmas. He just turned 7, but he is pretty small for his age. He is about 44 - 45 inches tall and he weighs 40lbs. I do not think he is ready to have a dirt bike, but I want to know what your suggestions/advice are.

Background
-I do not know ANYTHING about dirt bikes.
-I do not know anybody that has experience with dirt bikes that could help/train my son to ride a dirt bike.
-My son doesn't have much experience riding a regular bike and he still uses training wheels.
-The 50cc bike has training wheels.
-I have a corolla (Can a bike even fit in my car?)
-I live in Austin, TX.
-I'm not sure what kind of bike it is, but I will let you know once I find out.

My son's dad wants to know if I will let my son ride and my first response is no because I don't know how I'm supposed to help my son with riding if I don't know anything about it. I do not live in the country, so I would have to take him to a track. Is it safe for a child that has never rode a dirt bike to learn on a track? Are there trainers that teach children how to ride a dirt bike or staff that supervises children on the track? Obviously I would be there to supervise him, but I am wondering if staff is available to help.

#444852 - 12/11/09 11:32 PM Re: Clueless mom needs your advice [Re: karolinap]
Fender_Bender Offline
Veteran Lunatic

Loc: Hamilton, Tx
Welcome to the TON
Luckily you came to the right place. You live in Austin and YES 7 years old is as good as any time to start riding. The earlier the better in my opinion. There is a off road riding club right there in Austin ( http://www.amsaclub.org/ ) known as AMSA. There are a lot of people that would be love to help out. Of course he;ll have to have some riding gear that can be found used to start with to see if you and your son really like riding...
AMSA is having a ride day on the 20th and normally sings up new memberships. http://www.texasoffroad.net/forum/ubbthr..._Day#Post440955

As a mother it sometimes scary witching your kid take a fall but thats just part of learning. On the other hand it still puts a huge smile on my wifes face witching him 10 years later....
Besides... a bike can be a huge leavering tool. Don't pass don't ride....didn't take out the trash no riding... Get it???
But this also take up your time as well. At 7 years old he can't take himself to the track.

http://www.texasoffroad.net/forum/ubbthreads.php/forums/8/1/Austin_MotoSports_Association_

Sheldon
TORCS.....153

#445116 - 12/14/09 06:19 AM Re: Clueless mom needs your advice [Re: Fender_Bender]
liss Offline
Gang Mom

Loc: LOVING,TEXAS
He will be fine but spend the money and get safety equipment.
Good helmet, boots, neck brace, chest protector. You can find some good used stuff that has been outgrown.
my son started at 5 and my daughter 9 at the same time.
Make sure he knows where the break and kill switch is and how to use it. Kids can panic when first learning. He needs to know he can just turn it off if he gets scared. They do make training wheels but if you can get him in all his gear on on his bicycle w/o training wheels so he can get used to the extra weight of the gear. Also it is ok for a kid to watch cartoons or play in the yard in their gear. They get used to it and they are more comfortable.
Honestly I wouldn't spend money on a "trainer" yet. I would let maybe a local kid or pee wee parent show him how to get started. Like Curtis said get in touch with a local riding club. People are always willing to help newbies get started.
Good luck and get ready for some fun times!

Sponsor:
Week's Muffler Bearings and Powerbands

Mom of:
Kate 815 R
Buddy 15 lb
many many others I claim
Grandma of:
Josie..future pro #15

#445525 - 12/16/09 07:22 PM Re: Clueless mom needs your advice [Re: liss]
Spermy Administrator Offline
Veteran Lunatic

Loc: Buda, just south of weird
Welcome to the world of Dirt Bikes. I have a Son (now 8) that started riding when he was 4. When he was 3 we bought him a pw50. i installed training wheels on it. to get him use to it. i would push him down the driveway (without the engine running) and make him brake when i said. he learned turning and braking before i ever let him ride while it was running. but then he was 3-4.

My daughter is 5 and she rides the pw now.

We belong to AMSA and make most family days. I will help if you ever make it out. My son has actually taught at least 6 other kids how to ride. Several now have their own.

Most small bikes have some type of "govenor". the pw has a throttle screw. a small screw that makes it so the throttle will only twist so far. i have the pw my daught rides set so i can practiaclly walk next to her.

some people use training wheels other don't. we did. but our kids started much younger than yours.

Like the others said, don't skimp on the protection.

post what kind of bike or take a picture and post it, we can give you directions on how to maintain as well.

Where in Austin do you live?

Spermy TORCS 611
Patty 611's number 1 fan
Drex TORCS 4
Scout carrying on the 611 tradition

#446822 - 12/29/09 12:00 AM Re: Clueless mom needs your advice [Re: Spermy]
Ryan's Dad Offline
TON Member

Loc: Austin, Texas
Looking for a bike my son can't break!

Sorry, they dont make one of those!

#446839 - 12/29/09 01:46 AM Re: Clueless mom needs your advice [Re: Ryan's Dad]
BIZZZARE Offline
Bizarre Czar

Loc: Friendswood,TX
I told my son that he needs to find a job as a "destructive tester". Anything that can last more than 2-3 months w/ him riding, would last for anyone!.He has torn up 50's.85's.200's,250F's and now 450F's.
And he is only 14!
#414 TRH,TORCS,EVO,XTREME,and any other series

#446853 - 12/29/09 03:51 AM Re: Clueless mom needs your advice [Re: Ryan's Dad]
Fender_Bender Offline
Veteran Lunatic

Loc: Hamilton, Tx
But, he's not a avg. 14 year old

Originally Posted By: Ryan's Dad
Looking for a bike my son can't break!

Sorry, they dont make one of those!

How big & old is your son??????

Sheldon
TORCS.....153

#446876 - 12/29/09 12:32 PM Re: Clueless mom needs your advice [Re: karolinap]
redheadmx Offline
TON Member

Most important is the safety gear!! Neck brace and not a cheap one, in this sport quality is very important. My whole family rides, and my son started out at 8 years old. He is ten now and rides a 65cc. Call around the tracks to find someone that might give lessons. I live in San Antonio so we go down to Cycle Ranch, they do have people who give lessons. Also, if you have the bike most of the time you need to learn how to change the oil, lube, fix minor things. A 50cc needs to be maintained, especially if it is a racing 50. Don't be afraid of the bike, I learned how to do these things and now I even take my son to races without the help of the hubby. Good luck. And if you learn to ride you will have so much fun riding with your boy.

#448680 - 01/12/10 02:26 AM Re: Clueless mom needs your advice [Re: redheadmx]
RACER87 Offline
Gang Boss

LUCKY YOU ARE IN AUSTIN! I AM TAKING MY KIDS(7 & 11) RIDING ON SUNDAY AT ONE OF OUR LOCAL TRACKS. THEY HAVE A LOT OF OPEN SPACE THAT IS GREAT FOR BEGINNERS. LET ME KNOW IF YOU WOULD LIKE TO BRING YOUR SON OUT TO RIDE WITH MY KIDS. THEY ALWAYS LIKE MAKING NEW FRIENDS AT THE TRACK!

#559361 - 08/20/13 06:21 AM Re: Clueless mom needs your advice [Re: karolinap]
paultim Offline

Dear i think as a mother it sometimes scary witching your kid take a fall but thats just part of learning. On the other hand it still puts a huge smile on my wifes face witching him 10 years later....??

Texas Offroad Network
Sponsors & Partners

KTM OF NORTH TEXAS / SLM RACING - 2260 W. Pioneer Parkway - Arlington, TX 76013 - 817-275-2228

KTM OF NORTH TEXAS / SLM RACING - 2260 W. Pioneer Parkway - Arlington, TX 76013 - 817-275-2228

TJ's Cycle - 6208 North Lamar - Austin, TX 78752 - 512.453.6255

Cycle Parts Warehouse - www.cyclepartswarehouse.com

TSCEC Website

Texas 4-H Youth ATV Safety Program

The RiderDown Foundation - Helping Riders Up

Texas Offroad Network
Affiliate Programs
American Trails
Locations of visitors to this page
Outdoor Hub