TON Forums | Classifieds | Gallery | Links | Weather | Home   || OEM parts & online schematics || Cycle Gear
TON Logo
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#387941 - 01/15/09 06:25 PM Re: Nervous Dad... [Re: JoeyDawg]
shzam Offline

Loc: Allen, Texas
Ok, ok! So I don't know that I've been more proud of her! We told her driving down there that there were two things that she should focus on and that was #1 - have fun! And the 2nd was to do her best to finish each race. And we are so proud to report that she did both! She did get a little upset, and a few tears were shed after the 1st set of moto's because she took a spill down by the creek and was very embarassed to be the last one on the track for a few minutes. After some hugs and encouragement, she agreed to come back for the 2nd half of the day. The talent there was unbelievable for someone who's never seen a MX race, and we tried to explain that most of the boys had been racing for several years, and they were probably the last one to cross the finish at the beginning too. Still, we were so happy that she finished each race and I can't say how proud I am of her. Sorry to anyone that had their race delayed a little while she finished, but everyone seemed to be so supportive.

Now for the learnings for Dad:

I wish there was a book to read on everything we learned by experience! First, it was a little nerve racking for me not knowing where to park, when to get her ready, etc! We asked a ton of questions and signed her up the nite before. We were up at 5 and at the park by 6:30 just to be safe. We learned the difference between pre-staging, staging, and the gate locations. Then I learned when she could shut her bike off and wait and when to step back from the gates! All this probably sounds hilarious, but seriously - I had no idea!

Perhaps the funniest part of the day was after she finished her 3 races, we loaded her bike up in the truck and were just about ready to pull out when the guy next to us motioned to roll the window down. He said, "So did she decide not to do the 2nd moto on her races?" Puzzled, we asked what he was talking about - he then explained that she had the 2nd half still to go! With my tail between my legs I embarassingly unloaded her bike again and got her ready for the rest of the day...

She is getting much better with the clutch on her 65 and this probably led to even more nervousness with her being that she had only practiced on the new bike a handful of times. After watching the video of her, I see that she's backing off every time the powerband hits, so seat time should help out a ton with her comfortability - and speed around the track. Personally, I'm still learning the maintenance on a 2 stroke so I've got a ton to learn there. It's so much different than a sportbike, even though it's such a smaller engine. This weekend I plan to change out the gear oil, replace the exhaust o-ring, and get it ready for Sunday afternoon at Boondoxxx (practice!)

We never had to ask her if she wanted to do it again - after the last race, even though she got last place every time, and before she even got off her bike, she was asking when the next race was! We'll let her decide how far she wants to go with this, how much she wants to race, and how fast she wants to go. I'll make sure she practices as much as possible on the weekends and make sure it's still fun while trying to coach her on improving her riding.

Thanks to all of your supportive comments, we had a blast and look forward to meeting you soon! See you on the 31st for Round 3.

#387942 - 01/15/09 11:25 PM Re: Nervous Dad... [Re: shzam]
liss Offline
Gang Mom

Loc: LOVING,TEXAS
Don't feel bad. All of us were newbies at one time. I remember our first cc and mx races! WOW! Talk about lost. If you make it to some toro or torn races look me up and I'll show you the ropes.
Congrats on her finishing her first races. A lot of people don't finish their first ones. Awesome!

Sponsor:
Week's Muffler Bearings and Powerbands

Mom of:
Kate 815 R
Buddy 15 lb
many many others I claim
Grandma of:
Josie..future pro #15

#387943 - 01/16/09 02:35 PM Re: Nervous Dad... [Re: liss]
JoeyDawg Offline
Gang Momma

Loc: Waxahachie, Texas
So proud! Great job.....
TORO-P111,M341
TORCS P211 2007 65A CHAMP;
Jacob
TORO-P341
TORCS K259 2007 50A CHAMP

SPONSORS- Duct Tape, Motrin, Master Card, Bank account, Mom & Dad, God, Band-aid, Wal-Mart and ....... HEB! hehehhe

#407147 - 04/02/09 05:22 AM Re: Nervous Dad... [Re: JoeyDawg]
shzam Offline

So here is the update on Jayde's progress! She's raced 4 times since the last post and will race in Round 3 at Boondoxxx this Saturday. To say she's enjoying the MX experience would be an understatement. She has had a few spills, but I'm proud to say she's finished every race she's started - even after numerous stalls at the gate and one loop (that was scary). She's gotten so much better than even 3 months ago and is so proud that in Round 2 of the series she came in 4th in the 2nd moto of the 65 beginner class!

I wanted to thank each of you that lended so much encouragement at the beginning of all this. We've never seen her so passionate about a sport and it tickles Dad to hear her talk about the "Supercross Lites in Toronto" when he comes home from work. (FYI - this is the same little girl that was head cheerleader of her peewee football team 6 months ago.)

We'll stick to the smaller tracks before we ever try an AMA race again - and just see how far she takes it. We're all having so much fun - hope to see you at the track soon!

#408174 - 04/08/09 02:35 AM Re: Nervous Dad... [Re: shzam]
999renville Offline
Gang Member

cool good job glad your having fun.

just a side note on your crf situation. Honda usually uses good quality aluminum and you can most likely tig weld the case. very solid way to fix this but most chain shops don't do it. CRF motors are often replaced by chinese replica motors. jailing and lifan are good quality. for about $500 you can get a 150cc monster crate motor and drop in...then you'd have a GREAT pit bike for half the cost of the chain shop quote. around $225 for a 90cc motor to drop in.
wish you were closer. i could fix that motor for way less...I've seen many a motor in the shop due to gorilla tech tactics. Your not the first 8*)

#408205 - 04/08/09 05:23 AM Re: Nervous Dad... [Re: 999renville]
liss Offline
Gang Mom

Well keep up with the updates. It's great to hear of little girls who love this sport. I know my princess does!

Sponsor:

Mom of:
Kate 815 R
Buddy 15 lb
many many others I claim
Grandma of:
Josie..future pro #15

#419490 - 06/18/09 07:13 AM Re: Nervous Dad... [Re: JoeyDawg]
sebi Offline
New Boot

Loc: India punjab
We started out tenting for the races with TORO and it only took one season to say HEXX NO! on that. Yes we live in Texas but TORO is a WINTER series and tenting at 18 degrees is NOT pleasurable so we invested in a Toy Hauler after that and it made all the difference in the world. Folks come in Friday nights as soon as they get off work and stay till Sunday afternoon. There is always vendors that cook food so ya don't necessarily have to bring food just lots of money . Folks don't mind helping out when there are bike problems and issues.... I know many a time a stranger will knock on the camper door looking for a part to fix a bike and if we have we certainly give it up. I like to think we are strict parents but when we are at the races we are in a secure area, where total strangers, untrackable, are not going to be lurking around so our boys get a bit more freedom than they do at home. They have made some good friends and so have we and always look forward to race weekend. Keep in mind though that even though the property is secure we have had thefts go one in the deep of night when all is sleeping from locals who walked thru the gate undetected and stole bikes and generators, so buy a good cable and lock and ALWAYS lock your stuff up at night. Many of the items I'm referring to was in a South Texas series and the items were recovered TRASHED so we NEVER risk it!

#436901 - 10/23/09 02:51 PM Re: Nervous Dad... [Re: shzam]
shzam Offline

It's hard to believe that it's almost been a year since I originally posted on here requesting information about racing! I have to thank all of you that helped out in the beginning, you made things so much easier. As for Jayde, motocross has become her passion. She is riding in her 2nd series at Boondoxxx and has racked up 4 trophies in 6 races! I've had to learn a ton (and spend a ton) on repairs, replaced parts, suspension work, etc. Not to mention the new black plastics and graphics we put on for her b-day. But to see her finally take to a sport is worth everything. I thought I'd attach a couple of pictures just so you can see how proud she is of her last couple 3rd place trophies! She's still learning every time she rides (don't we all?) and is having a blast. Thanks again to all of you!

By the way - the overtightened bolt / engine case problem on the 70 was solved with jb weld and a re-thread. smile

Attachments
CIMG2759.JPG

135.JPG

Edited by shzam (10/23/09 02:53 PM)

#437044 - 10/25/09 05:33 AM Re: Nervous Dad... [Re: shzam]
liss Offline
Gang Mom

Awesome!

Sponsor:

Mom of:
Kate 815 R
Buddy 15 lb
many many others I claim
Grandma of:
Josie..future pro #15

#440245 - 11/13/09 04:39 PM Re: Nervous Dad... [Re: liss]
Spermy Administrator Offline
Veteran Lunatic

Loc: Buda, just south of weird
looks like a happy kid to me.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Texas Offroad Network
Sponsors & Partners

KTM OF NORTH TEXAS / SLM RACING - 2260 W. Pioneer Parkway - Arlington, TX 76013 - 817-275-2228

KTM OF NORTH TEXAS / SLM RACING - 2260 W. Pioneer Parkway - Arlington, TX 76013 - 817-275-2228

TJ's Cycle - 6208 North Lamar - Austin, TX 78752 - 512.453.6255

Cycle Parts Warehouse - www.cyclepartswarehouse.com

TSCEC Website

Texas 4-H Youth ATV Safety Program

The RiderDown Foundation - Helping Riders Up

Texas Offroad Network
Affiliate Programs
American Trails
Locations of visitors to this page
Outdoor Hub