TON Forums | Classifieds | Gallery | Links | Weather | Home   || OEM parts & online schematics || Cycle Gear
TON Logo
Topic Options
#392290 - 01/16/09 09:01 PM need help getting into racing
nita71 Offline

Loc: mineral wells tx
hello everyone. i am just looking for some info on how to get a 9 year old started in dirt bike racing. i have no idea where to start or how to find races that are close to mineral wells texas.

if anyone can help please let me know.

#392291 - 01/16/09 10:23 PM Re: need help getting into racing [Re: nita71]
liss Offline
Gang Mom

Loc: LOVING,TEXAS
Are you interested in mx or cross country?
There are several tracks depending on what type of racing you are looking for.

Sponsor:
Week's Muffler Bearings and Powerbands

Mom of:
Kate 815 R
Buddy 15 lb
many many others I claim
Grandma of:
Josie..future pro #15

#392292 - 01/17/09 10:24 PM Re: need help getting into racing [Re: liss]
nita71 Offline

I'm not sure. but maybe mx for now. We are just trying to get our son into racing because he loves riding so much.
thanks for your reply

#392293 - 01/17/09 10:44 PM Re: need help getting into racing [Re: nita71]
liss Offline
Gang Mom

We race cross country and we are not too far from you.Loving north of Graham.
There is TORO texas off road organization which is a 8 race series that runs in the winter (only 3 races left) www.race-toro.org
There is TORN texas off road nationals www.tornracing.com which runs generally from febuary to november. It is a 10 race series and most of the races will be close for you.
There is also tccra www.tccra.org
In cross country the pee wee's 65cc and 50cc's have their own track and own race schedule. Very welcoming group of folks. Everyone will help your son when he falls or has issues. Most tracks are a mile or so and accessable to spectators.
If you are interested in cross country I'd be more than happy to talk you through it.
We do race some mx, mostly local or WMA.
There are tracks all over for that and some series to race. www.mxcrazy.com is a good place to look for mx schedules.
What type of bike does he have? My son (10) races a KX65 in the 65cc amateurs. BTW in cross country there are typically 3 levels per bike size. In torn there are 4 classes for the 65cc novice,amateur,intermediate and expert. the novice and amateurs have a race by themselves where they are not on the track at the same time as the faster riders. I will warn you though. the amateur/novice classes are usually pretty big but don't let that scare you the kids are all respectful and really kinda watch out for each other.
Another warning.........it is very very adictive! You will find yourself looking for somewhere to race every weekend. You will meet lots of great people and make lots of friends. Everyone is family basically. You child is in for an experiance he will never forget. He will have a blast on and off the track.
Also go ahead and get you a bike and join the rest of us mom's!

Sponsor:

Mom of:
Kate 815 R
Buddy 15 lb
many many others I claim
Grandma of:
Josie..future pro #15

#392294 - 01/17/09 11:43 PM Re: need help getting into racing [Re: liss]
JoeyDawg Offline
Gang Momma

Loc: Waxahachie, Texas
Liss forgot to mention gear..... don't skimp on safety!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ( read the one about nervous dad on this thread)

My opinion is to start in cross country for learning time. Most CC races have a taste of MX which is the BIG jumps and high obstacles.... if they survive the taste then focus on MX... if it scares them too much (or you) then hang with the cross country.

Do remember to move at their speed( not to push them too fast) and safety ( unless they're flying then ya can tap the brakes) LOL

My opinion
TORO-P111,M341
TORCS P211 2007 65A CHAMP;
Jacob
TORO-P341
TORCS K259 2007 50A CHAMP

SPONSORS- Duct Tape, Motrin, Master Card, Bank account, Mom & Dad, God, Band-aid, Wal-Mart and ....... HEB! hehehhe

#392295 - 01/18/09 01:21 AM Re: need help getting into racing [Re: liss]
nita71 Offline

thank you so much for all the info. cc sounds fun and like a good place to start my son is 10 and has a 110cc dirt bike. although it is just an off brand bike, i dont really know that much about the diffrent kinds out there so im not sure what kind he needs to race. He is a beginner and might need some help on shifting on turns and things like that. he loves to ride and seems to be a natural at it. i just want him to get into something he enjoys so that he can have some fun.

what kind of entry fees are there and how do i find out if the bike he has is good enough to start with.

thanks again for the info.

#392296 - 01/18/09 02:01 AM Re: need help getting into racing [Re: nita71]
liss Offline
Gang Mom

It's an off brand 110?
Honestly don't worry about what type bike he rides right now. Let him start on what he has till you can find out if he's going to like racing.
Actually just email me
lisssnow@brazosnet.com

Sponsor:

Mom of:
Kate 815 R
Buddy 15 lb
many many others I claim
Grandma of:
Josie..future pro #15

#392297 - 01/18/09 05:30 AM Re: need help getting into racing [Re: liss]
liss Offline
Gang Mom

Got your email and replied. My email is kinda nuts sometimes so let me know if you don't get it.

Sponsor:

Mom of:
Kate 815 R
Buddy 15 lb
many many others I claim
Grandma of:
Josie..future pro #15

#392298 - 01/19/09 04:33 PM Re: need help getting into racing [Re: liss]
shzam Offline

Loc: Allen, Texas
I'm in the same boat as you, we just have a one month head start. I did hours of online research trying to find out where to race, what to race, what to bring?, etc. so I definitely know how unnerving it can be. We decided to go with MX first with our daughter (who is also 10) and she loves it. She raced at Swan last weekend and had a great time but it was probably too much for her first race (it was an AMA sanctioned race). Going forward, we'll probably stick with smaller venues - I think we'll do Boondoxxx on Feb. 1st and then maybe the Central Yamaha Series this spring. Those races are at Badlands, Village Creek, and Swan. It looks like about 2 per month starting in March.

My daughter practiced on a track for a good 6 months (and rode trails for a year) before her 1st race and last weekend was still very challenging for her. The cross country races may be less intimidating, but we haven't tried that yet. On the flip side though, after practicing with her this past Saturday at Boondoxxx, she is 10 times better than at her races last weekend. I think seeing how fast the other racers were made her subconsciously up her game a little.

I agree 100% with everyone saying not to push the speed on the little ones. Personally I continue to coach her on technique and little improvements (cornering, standing over jumps, seat position) and let her determine what throttle to use. It's worked so far and she's loving it. The guys / gals on this site are awesome at giving you info and answering questions.

#392299 - 02/11/09 07:02 PM Re: need help getting into racing [Re: shzam]
KAM_Racing Offline
Gang Member

DirtBike School and Flattrack School Stimulus For Bike Week 2009

www.kamracingtexas.com

Texas Offroad Network
Sponsors & Partners

KTM OF NORTH TEXAS / SLM RACING - 2260 W. Pioneer Parkway - Arlington, TX 76013 - 817-275-2228

KTM OF NORTH TEXAS / SLM RACING - 2260 W. Pioneer Parkway - Arlington, TX 76013 - 817-275-2228

TJ's Cycle - 6208 North Lamar - Austin, TX 78752 - 512.453.6255

Cycle Parts Warehouse - www.cyclepartswarehouse.com

TSCEC Website

Texas 4-H Youth ATV Safety Program

The RiderDown Foundation - Helping Riders Up

Texas Offroad Network
Affiliate Programs
American Trails
Locations of visitors to this page
Outdoor Hub