TON Forums | Classifieds | Gallery | Links | Weather | Home   || OEM parts & online schematics || Cycle Gear
TON Logo
Topic Options
#390609 - 01/07/09 10:11 PM Off Road in Texas
Hockymom63 Offline

Loc: Chino,Ca.
Hi all! Newbie here we are thinking about moving to east texas we have family there we are from cali (don't shoot me! Lol) Out here we "free ride" in the open vast deserts are there just tracks there in Texas? My son would like that but i wouldn't so where do you all ride and more importantly are there places to ride in east texas or do you all just buy your own land and ride on it?
Thanks in advance!

#390610 - 01/07/09 10:39 PM Re: Off Road in Texas [Re: Hockymom63]
pmkkdx Offline
Have map. Will travel!

Loc: Central Texas, USA, Earth (mos...
first off, welcome to the TON (Texas Offroad Network)!!!

kinda depends what part of East Texas you are referring to moving??? that's a pretty broad area...

there are some National forest in east Texas that with an $8 sticker for your bikes you have quite a few miles of trails. Then there are a variety of offroad parks and MX tracks. There are also several race series like STORM, TORCS, TORN, TORO, etc that are harescramble / GP format. there are also several national forest in Louisiana & Arkansas that might be closer to east Texas (depending on your exact location) than from east Texas to the central portion that also has various different offroad parks and tracks (some with several miles of trails)...

I spent a couple years in the antelope valley of CA ... very little around central to east texas to compare to the vast desert riding areas there though... much smaller and more confined here...
(I only have to amuse myself)

#390611 - 01/07/09 10:50 PM Re: Off Road in Texas [Re: pmkkdx]
Hockymom63 Offline

Loc: Chino,Ca.
Thank you! Well the area is Mineola,Lindale,quitman,alba,golden Lol not sure where i want to settle! The parents are in Mineola.
I didnt figure it would be like the desert since when i visited a few years back it looked heavily treed, I grew up in the woods of connecticut so i do like trail riding i just didnt know if there was any off roading that way we love it here in cali and have a toy hauler and spend days at a time in the desert.
So if you buy land are you allowed to ride your dirt bike on it?
Sorry for the strange questions just want to make sure i can still indulge in my addiction in east texas (will travel in toy hauler as well to different areas if available)

#390612 - 01/07/09 11:18 PM Re: Off Road in Texas [Re: Hockymom63]
pmkkdx Offline
Have map. Will travel!

Loc: Central Texas, USA, Earth (mos...
ok, that's kinda in the northeast portion of Texas...

there is Barnwell Mountain Recreation Area is owned by the Texas Motorized Trail Coalition (TMTC) that isn't but 30-50 miles from any of those towns you listed... about 5 miles north of Gilmer, 1800 acre OHV park. miles of trails for offroad motorcycles, quads, full size 4x4...

then there is Shiloh Ridge which is a privately owned OHV park just outside Alto (about 70-80 miles to the south of the area you mentioned). I've been there a couple of times and the majority of what I saw was a party crowd with full size 4x4 including night runs.

then a bit farther is Red River Cycle Park up on the Texas Oklahoma border north & west of DFW near Muenster ... probably 170-180 miles from the area you mentioned.

then there is the Sam Houston National Forest, which is just south of Huntsville, again, about 170-180 miles...

then there are several locations around the Austin area, like Cherokee Cycle park (outside Milano), Cross Creek Cycle park (outside Paige), Boulder Creek (OHV park, west of Austin), Austin Del Valle MX (ADVMX, just east of Austin)... these are all probably 200-270 miles from the area mentioned depending on which route you were to take...

I believe there are a couple of places around the Waco & Temple area too, just don't have much info on those.

as stated earlier, several national forests in western Louisiana & Arkansas, numerous MX parks around the Dallas & Houston area. there is probably other places in the northeastern portion of Texas but I don't get to that area very often.

if you were to click on the tab or link at the top of your screen "main index" that should list a whole bunch of different forums for the various parks, clubs, racing series, etc.
(I only have to amuse myself)

Texas Offroad Network
Sponsors & Partners

KTM OF NORTH TEXAS / SLM RACING - 2260 W. Pioneer Parkway - Arlington, TX 76013 - 817-275-2228

KTM OF NORTH TEXAS / SLM RACING - 2260 W. Pioneer Parkway - Arlington, TX 76013 - 817-275-2228

TJ's Cycle - 6208 North Lamar - Austin, TX 78752 - 512.453.6255

Cycle Parts Warehouse - www.cyclepartswarehouse.com

TSCEC Website

Texas 4-H Youth ATV Safety Program

The RiderDown Foundation - Helping Riders Up

Texas Offroad Network
Affiliate Programs
American Trails
Locations of visitors to this page
Outdoor Hub