TON Forums | Classifieds | Gallery | Links | Weather | Home   || OEM parts & online schematics || Cycle Gear
TON Logo
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#387921 - 12/23/08 09:07 PM Nervous Dad...
shzam Offline

Loc: Allen, Texas
My 10 year old daughter started riding a year ago on a CRF 70 and has been begging us to let her race for the past few months. A little apprehensive, we researched as much as we could and were told TORO may be a good place to start. Although I've ridden sport bikes the majority of my adult life, I'm completely lost when it comes to racing MX - so I'm looking for any and all advice for her AND US as parents. Should we try out the PW65 race on 01/10 in Bonita? If so, when should we get there that morning, who should we see? Will she be so much slower than everyone else that she'll leave defeated (emotionally)? I'm not sure what the difference is in A, B, and C (I'm assuming that C is for beginners?) Do all of them start the race at the same time? Are any parents at the starting line with them? If she is so far behind everyone else, will she get lost in the woods? How long is the track, any huge jumps?

To answer a few questions you may throw out there - she has all her gear and she's ridden at Rocky Ridge, Red River, and Brushy Creek for the last year. From my research, I know that her bike isn't the best for racing, but until I know she really enjoys it and gets comfortable, I probably won't be upgrading or modding it (except for a front sprocket) - unless there is something cheap that you know of to give 1st gear some more torque.

I must apologize for all the questions, and some of them may seem completely crazy or rediculous. I'll have to pull the newb card and suck up my pride. Thank you all so very much in advance for any help or advice.

#387922 - 12/23/08 11:05 PM Re: Nervous Dad... [Re: shzam]
238DAD Offline
Gang Boss

Loc: Canyon Lake, Texas
Let her ride Dad.......

I don't no the TORO series, we are motocrossers, but I can give you a little insight:

At 10 she would ride the 65cc 10-11 and/or the open. She could ride the 85cc 7-11, but these bikes are a hand full, probably not the best for beginners. Once she spent a couple years on a 65, the transition to the 85 would be much easier.

Motocross tracks are closed circuit tracks, so she would not get lost. On most of the tracks you will be able to see her all the way around, but following the course, for her, will be simple.

Some tracks are a little aggressive, you'll just have to figure out what kind she likes. Your in Allen, so you have many tracks near you that are awesome. Here are a few links:
http://oakhillmx.com/
http://villagecreekmx.com/
here is a good map
http://www.txtracks.com/Dirt-Bike-ATV-Trails-Map.cfm

Finally, as parents we are all nervous. The last thing we want is our kids to get injured. Good protective gear and an understanding of what hurts is a good place to start. Yes, you can help her at the gate of an MX race and everyone leaves at the same time. Once she has come off the line a few times, you'll know if she likes it or not.

Check out the WMA (Womens Motocross Association) also. Many tracks offer all girl classes. Stick to the bigger named tracks, specifically ones that are AMA (American Motorcycle Association) sanctioned

Good Luck and Have Fun....

#387923 - 12/23/08 11:44 PM Re: Nervous Dad... [Re: shzam]
JoeyDawg Offline
Gang Momma

Loc: Waxahachie, Texas
I have boys 10 and 13 that have both rode and raced since they were 5 (thanks to DAD who races also) First and most important is safety gear... get it all! The money you shell out up front is way less than a helicopter ride to the nearest hospital. Don't necessarily get the cheap stuff I suggest mid grade. Helmet and neck gear definitely no lower than mid grade..... ONCE you have ALL the gear then visit a race series. We personally race TORO and TORN Both are very family friendly clubs. I am not real savy on bike sizes ( Dad keeps up with all that) but is she hasn't raced before start her out in the C class. Trust me she will not be left behind.... in both clubs there are several little girls that race and I am sure they will make friends with her in a very short time. Parents are everywhere along the track that treat each kid as their own so if ( hopefully not, but rest assured) she were to go down somewhere she would not be there alone. We have what is called sweepers which are staff parents who ride the track between every 6 - 8 riders just looking out for riders that have washed out or overshot a turn or just laid it over and they help them get up and get started again safely. Some parents just follow them along outside the track lines to make sure they are OK . That is also very accepted as long as you stay off the track and just ride beside it. At first maybe just do practice and see how she feels with it them maybe the second event practice again then ride during a race just seeing how she fairs. She will love it AND there are classes for Mom's and Dad's to ride in as well. For us it is a family sport. I do not ride but I am a picture taker taking 1000 to 1500 pics per event then share them with all who was there.
A riders are on one line usually the first line because they are faster, then the next line would be the B riders then the C riders and sometimes a 4th line of even slower newbies. For instance the 85 riders do not ride the track the same time the 65's and 50's because they are so much faster.
65's have A B C and sometimes Novice, 50's have A B C and sometimes Novice then there are Jr Beginners on usually 50's that are like the 4 year olds. In Toro the 65's race together when they are done then the 50's and Jr B race together. Then Toro has an awards ceremony ... yes ceremony with hot chocolate and cookies for the kids and 1-5 get medals..... some classes only have 3 - 4 riders so they are guaranteed a medal. But they get upon the podiums in 1ST 2ND 3RD and so on places and sometimes have a Pro Rider handing out the medals and lots of pics are taken. My husband is on staff with TORO.

TORN just ended their season and will start again in February. WONDERFUL series as well. TORN also splits up the 50's and 65's but there is no awards ceremony there and they medal 1 - 3rd places.

We started out tenting for the races with TORO and it only took one season to say HEXX NO! on that. Yes we live in Texas but TORO is a WINTER series and tenting at 18 degrees is NOT pleasurable so we invested in a Toy Hauler after that and it made all the difference in the world. Folks come in Friday nights as soon as they get off work and stay till Sunday afternoon. There is always vendors that cook food so ya don't necessarily have to bring food just lots of money . Folks don't mind helping out when there are bike problems and issues.... I know many a time a stranger will knock on the camper door looking for a part to fix a bike and if we have we certainly give it up. I like to think we are strict parents but when we are at the races we are in a secure area, where total strangers, untrackable, are not going to be lurking around so our boys get a bit more freedom than they do at home. They have made some good friends and so have we and always look forward to race weekend. Keep in mind though that even though the property is secure we have had thefts go one in the deep of night when all is sleeping from locals who walked thru the gate undetected and stole bikes and generators, so buy a good cable and lock and ALWAYS lock your stuff up at night. Many of the items I'm referring to was in a South Texas series and the items were recovered TRASHED so we NEVER risk it!

I hope I have answered some of your questions..... surely someone else will pipe in and cover what I have forgotten.

Come out and Race!
Joanna
TORO-P111,M341
TORCS P211 2007 65A CHAMP;
Jacob
TORO-P341
TORCS K259 2007 50A CHAMP

SPONSORS- Duct Tape, Motrin, Master Card, Bank account, Mom & Dad, God, Band-aid, Wal-Mart and ....... HEB! hehehhe

#387924 - 12/24/08 03:07 AM Re: Nervous Dad... [Re: JoeyDawg]
liss Offline
Gang Mom

Loc: LOVING,TEXAS
I don't have much to add to what Joey has said but bring her on! She will have a blast. My son, 10, started racing the same time as Joey's boys. He's in the 65cc C class on a KX65. He's one of the back of the pack or sometimes mid pack racers. Don't worry about her being left behind. Most likely she will never know she was. Trust me she will be cheered for just like the leader.
Bring her by our camp........look for the honda CRF230 with a basket on the front...with a turtle inside W315. Ask for Liss pretty much anyone can tell you where to find me.We have a white dodge 3/4 ton with a grey hail beat campmaster toy hauler.Buddy will me more than happy to ride with her. He's pretty good at taking a lap with the new kids and is good at picking up and starting bikes. Don't be shy cause as you can tell I'm not lol

Sponsor:
Week's Muffler Bearings and Powerbands

Mom of:
Kate 815 R
Buddy 15 lb
many many others I claim
Grandma of:
Josie..future pro #15

#387925 - 12/26/08 06:47 PM Re: Nervous Dad... [Re: liss]
shzam Offline

Thanks so much for all the great advice. We're definitely going to get her involved, but will probably be with a different bike. Unfortunately Dad caused $850 in damage when over-tightening one of the bolts that holds the crankcase cover on! The tell-tale continuous drip of engine oil from the bolt hole hinted at the pending problem - the Maxim mechanic confirmed the nitemare.

So I guess we'll be looking for a used 65 this weekend - and trying to explain why she won't be able to ride her Honda again... "Way to go Dad - thanks for installing my new front sprocket - that I'll never get to use!" Oh well, such is life - wish us luck and we'll hopefully see some of you soon...

#387926 - 12/27/08 03:54 AM Re: Nervous Dad... [Re: shzam]
JoeyDawg Offline
Gang Momma

Been there done that! It's all one big learning experience...... We have also NOT checked the gas and allowed our boys to RUN OUT OF GAS..... they ( the boys) say they're gonna fire the mechanic ( Dad) but he's the one buying and supplying so they can't really fire him. Without Dad there wouldn't be ANY racing...... don't sweat it! At least it wasn't race weekend!
TORO-P111,M341
Jacob
TORO-P341

SPONSORS- Duct Tape, Motrin, Master Card, Bank account, Mom & Dad, God, Band-aid, Wal-Mart and ....... HEB! hehehhe

#387927 - 12/27/08 04:34 AM Re: Nervous Dad... [Re: JoeyDawg]
liss Offline
Gang Mom

Loc: LOVING,TEXAS
Yeah we have all had those major woooopsies.

Sponsor:
Week's Muffler Bearings and Powerbands

Mom of:
Kate 815 R
Buddy 15 lb
many many others I claim
Grandma of:
Josie..future pro #15

#387928 - 01/05/09 06:30 AM Re: Nervous Dad... [Re: shzam]
tmtex Offline
Gang Member

Loc: Garland, Texas
Well just to add, I have no toro/torn advice but if you live in Allen and are looking on the MX side there are numerous places to ride all within a 1 hr or less. Several real close to you(pending traffic) as they said dont skimp out on the gear. A 300.00+ helmet is much different then the 79.99 with cool graffics on it. Same with boots. Leat brace @ 400 is also recomended.

You have Boondoxxx thats in farmersville or close to it that real close. Mainly a Beg track, very easy. Kinda desiged for the beginners, Up the street is Badlands. A little more advanced.

Oakhill MX is way more advanced and races are more hardcore

#387929 - 01/06/09 05:18 AM Re: Nervous Dad... [Re: tmtex]
shzam Offline

Thanks so much for all the posts, and yes - we just found Boondoxxx a few weeks ago and have been several times since. She loves it compared to Rocky Ridge, Muenster, or Brushy Creek. She's still hell bent on racing so we'll see how she likes it after this weekend. We're going to the race in Tyler (Swan Raceway) this Saturday for her big debut. She's entered in the 65 open, 65 10-11, and the Girls Open 7 - 13. As long as she has fun - me and the wifey will be so happy - and incredibly proud!

On a side note - the 05 KTM 65 we got her (after the FUBAR incident with her 70 ) is much different. I'm so glad I didn't listen to some of the people that were telling me a year ago that she could learn on a 65 - there is NO way that is a beginner bike. I've been riding sportbikes on the street and track for over 15 years and wow - that bike has some kick! I'm glad we started her on the CRF 70 - it was perfect for not being so intimidating with the powerband or with learning a clutch. Though I will say that with her much lighter 65, she can actually kick start it herself and she can pick it up after taking a spill - she couldn't do that with the 70.

Now my next project is to figure out what to do with the 70 - maybe I'll find an old XR 70 engine to replace hers just to get it sold. Or perhaps I'll be able to meet someone with a better suggestion than the $900 repair bill that Maxim gave us! So sad - the bike was only 12 months old! Anyway - enough of the rant - wish us luck this weekend.

#387930 - 01/06/09 02:40 PM Re: Nervous Dad... [Re: shzam]
JoeyDawg Offline
Gang Momma

fix it an use it as a pit bike to ride ( for you or Mom)at the races.
TORO-P111,M341
Jacob
TORO-P341

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Texas Offroad Network
Sponsors & Partners

KTM OF NORTH TEXAS / SLM RACING - 2260 W. Pioneer Parkway - Arlington, TX 76013 - 817-275-2228

KTM OF NORTH TEXAS / SLM RACING - 2260 W. Pioneer Parkway - Arlington, TX 76013 - 817-275-2228

TJ's Cycle - 6208 North Lamar - Austin, TX 78752 - 512.453.6255

Cycle Parts Warehouse - www.cyclepartswarehouse.com

TSCEC Website

Texas 4-H Youth ATV Safety Program

The RiderDown Foundation - Helping Riders Up

Texas Offroad Network
Affiliate Programs
American Trails
Locations of visitors to this page
Outdoor Hub