TON Forums | Classifieds | Gallery | Links | Weather | Home   || OEM parts & online schematics || Cycle Gear
TON Logo
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#387931 - 01/06/09 03:51 PM Re: Nervous Dad... [Re: shzam]
pmkkdx Offline
Have map. Will travel!

Loc: Central Texas, USA, Earth (mos...
I'm trying to figure out which bolt you overtightened to the point that oil now leaks??? I am guessing that it was one in a case half and the mechanic is telling you the cost of repair by replacing the case half plus mechanic hours of tear down and re-assembly???

it might be a much less expensive fix depending on exactly what you did... did you merely strip out the threads to where a bolt won't hold tight enough on the case cover to compress a gasket enough to keep from leaking oil?

or did you break / crack a case half to where it leaks???

there's more than one way to skin a cat
(I only have to amuse myself)

#387932 - 01/06/09 04:13 PM Re: Nervous Dad... [Re: pmkkdx]
Spermy Administrator Offline
Veteran Lunatic

Loc: Buda, just south of weird
jb weld...

Spermy TORCS 611
Patty 611's number 1 fan
Drex TORCS 4
Scout carrying on the 611 tradition

#387933 - 01/06/09 07:12 PM Re: Nervous Dad... [Re: Spermy]
ktmlance Offline
Gang Veteran

Loc: Watauga, TX
JB weld was what I was thinking, or just RTV all over the place. I have seen plenty of bikes finish with nickles in place of the sight glass or jb weld holding the oil in... KTM talk had a recent thread about stuffing ports with JB weld internally, the stuff will hold up to gas/oil and 500 degree temperatures.

#387934 - 01/06/09 07:47 PM Re: Nervous Dad... [Re: ktmlance]
pmkkdx Offline
Have map. Will travel!

Loc: Central Texas, USA, Earth (mos...
yep ...

JB Weld,

Permatex,

drilling out/rethreading/installing a Helicoil ...

just a few examples of stuff that has been around & used for years with great success ... not to be left out also including Duct tape & bailing wire
(I only have to amuse myself)

#387935 - 01/06/09 10:20 PM Re: Nervous Dad... [Re: shzam]
tmtex Offline
Gang Member

Loc: Garland, Texas
If we didnt do the race last weekend at freestone we would be at Swan this weekend and she would be racing against my son. The 65 open class could be some hardcore kids however she shouldnt have any problems at that track, its easy/safe.

#387936 - 01/07/09 02:59 AM Re: Nervous Dad... [Re: tmtex]
238DAD Offline
Gang Boss

Loc: Canyon Lake, Texas
We will be there, coming up Friday afternoon. If you want to bring the 70 along I'll take a look at it, no cost. What you have explained has peaked my curiosity.

PM me if interested

#387937 - 01/09/09 06:43 AM Re: Nervous Dad... [Re: pmkkdx]
shzam Offline

Loc: Allen, Texas
"I am guessing that it was one in a case half and the mechanic is telling you the cost of repair by replacing the case half plus mechanic hours of tear down and re-assembly???"

Unfortunately, that's exactly what I did. When I took out the three bolts on the cover to get the case off to replace the front sprocket, I didn't take note of which bolts went where. When I replaced the cover I put the longer bolt in the upper right hand corner and it was just a few cm's too long. It never did tighten all the way so I kept turning - eventually I just backed it out and noticed a drip of oil coming out of the hole. I knew immediately that I had put a hole in the engine casing and unscrewed the drain plug and emptied the oil that I had just changed out! I took it to the shop and they told me that I had to replace that half of the the case and the labor would be nearly $500 because they would have to tear it all down to do it. Since then I've had several people tell me about JB Weld or another Honda type weld that I can put on the bolt and it should seal it up. The only problem I have with that is if I ever go to sell the bike, I'd have to tell the new owner of the problem and thus most likely not be able to sell it or lose major $ on the sale.

Then of course as someone mentioned - as I'm only out a $1000 dollars - it may be better to make it a pit bike. We'll be down in Tyler around 8pm on Friday nite - not sure if theres a local hang-out, but if you'll be there - PM me by noon and perhaps we can meet up for dinner or something.

Thanks for all the advice and comments - so glad I found this site.

shzam
AKA (ALMOST converted GSXR rider)

#387938 - 01/12/09 08:14 PM Re: Nervous Dad... [Re: shzam]
JoeyDawg Offline
Gang Momma

Loc: Waxahachie, Texas
So how did she do this weekend???? My son seize his Honda 85 bigwheel engine..... URGH!
TORO-P111,M341
TORCS P211 2007 65A CHAMP;
Jacob
TORO-P341
TORCS K259 2007 50A CHAMP

SPONSORS- Duct Tape, Motrin, Master Card, Bank account, Mom & Dad, God, Band-aid, Wal-Mart and ....... HEB! hehehhe

#387939 - 01/12/09 11:16 PM Re: Nervous Dad... [Re: JoeyDawg]
liss Offline
Gang Mom

Loc: LOVING,TEXAS
Joey...........he is Mikey son.
Did she have fun? COme on do some Daddy braggin'

Sponsor:
Week's Muffler Bearings and Powerbands

Mom of:
Kate 815 R
Buddy 15 lb
many many others I claim
Grandma of:
Josie..future pro #15

#387940 - 01/13/09 12:29 AM Re: Nervous Dad... [Re: liss]
JoeyDawg Offline
Gang Momma

Loc: Waxahachie, Texas
yep... it's in the blood!
Come on and brag!
TORO-P111,M341
TORCS P211 2007 65A CHAMP;
Jacob
TORO-P341
TORCS K259 2007 50A CHAMP

SPONSORS- Duct Tape, Motrin, Master Card, Bank account, Mom & Dad, God, Band-aid, Wal-Mart and ....... HEB! hehehhe

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Texas Offroad Network
Sponsors & Partners

KTM OF NORTH TEXAS / SLM RACING - 2260 W. Pioneer Parkway - Arlington, TX 76013 - 817-275-2228

KTM OF NORTH TEXAS / SLM RACING - 2260 W. Pioneer Parkway - Arlington, TX 76013 - 817-275-2228

TJ's Cycle - 6208 North Lamar - Austin, TX 78752 - 512.453.6255

Cycle Parts Warehouse - www.cyclepartswarehouse.com

TSCEC Website

Texas 4-H Youth ATV Safety Program

The RiderDown Foundation - Helping Riders Up

Texas Offroad Network
Affiliate Programs
American Trails
Locations of visitors to this page
Outdoor Hub