TON Forums | Classifieds | Gallery | Links | Home  
TON Logo
Newest Members
JamesBot, RobertUrish, Jamesacark, TrevorTeand, Bford96
23185 Registered Users
Who's Online
0 registered (), 68 Guests and 24 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
23185 Members
50 Forums
38023 Topics
248899 Posts

Max Online: 677 @ 03/29/21 12:24 PM
Search

Bike For Sale
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#386966 - 12/18/08 07:49 PM Any old Boykin Springs riders around?
MegaThumper Offline

Loc: SC
I sure miss riding there!! We had it good back in the 80's and 90's before I got transferred!

I was one of the original SETORR members way back when Cary Fracht had the first meeting at the Coke plant.

Anyone from way back then still around? I saw the name George mentioned a few times, that can't be George Spaulding! He must be 120 by now!

Anyway, I am living in SC now and nothing here is nearly as good as Boykin Springs was back then. It is a small state but we only have about 98 miles of trails in 5 trail areas around the state. Mostly around 20 miles per but some less, one bigger (and I hope you like 40 miles of 10 foot sand whoops). We go to NC and ride dual sport trails when we can but the forest service is closing those down too, right now from what I hear.

Anyway, hope someone remembers me, Sam Rudolph!

#386967 - 12/18/08 09:45 PM Re: Any old Boykin Springs riders around? [Re: MegaThumper]
Hoop Moderator Offline

Loc: Beaumont TX
SAM, good to hear from you! Ray Hooper here. Some of us are still around, but the Boykin riding area is gone, at least for now. The FS is talking about a trail on the north side of the lake, but it may be years away.

Spalding still owns a bike, talks about riding it sometimes...

You going to host us if we come to SC to ride?

#386968 - 12/18/08 10:22 PM Re: Any old Boykin Springs riders around? [Re: Hoop]
yzracer Offline
Veteran Lunatic

Loc: Beaumont Tx
And yes, he is 120, or at least looks like it
2018 CRF250R

#386969 - 12/18/08 11:02 PM Re: Any old Boykin Springs riders around? [Re: Hoop]
MegaThumper Offline

HEY RAY!!! Good to see your still around but sad about Boykin Springs. Darn woodpeckers? They use that here too. Kind of funny, there are alot of things named Boykin around here but no trails. Appears there are lots of woodpeckers near our trails but so far no one has made a stink over it , at least not recently, they closed alot of trails just before I got here, partly for the bird.

You guys should not waste your time coming to SC to ride dirt or even pavement, unless you are going to be here anyway for something else. The 5 trails I told you about are 80 to maybe 200 miles apart. And while they are some fun, I would not make a trip from Texas to ride them. Georgia has some good ones, Durham Town Plantation is pretty good when not muddy (red clay) or real dry and dusty. They have something for everyone there. Probably the future of the sport, private land owner needed something to make money on to save the family land.

I got into sport bike riding in NC for the last few years, but not much this year. NC mountains have GREAT back roads! I need to go more but my riding buddies mostly have quit, moved or just don't ride much anymore. Blue Ridge Parkway is a must do at least one, for the views, but there are better twisty roads.

We got into dual sporting a few years ago in NC but that is likely ending too, not sure why. At least the more well known areas. The areas to ride were huge, not mapped. Somewhat rough at times due to the rocks and mud but mostly not too hard if you are not flying. Lots of old logging roads etc. Guess someone complainted. We never saw many others, a few 4x4 and other bikes. But some great views on the tops of the mountains.

I get back to Texas every few years, around Christmas, still not certain of this year. You get Boykin open again and I will bring my Xr650R down with me. Saw you had one too.

Well tell the guys I said hi. I will try to keep an eye on whats going on with you guys too!

Sam

#386970 - 12/18/08 11:03 PM Re: Any old Boykin Springs riders around? [Re: yzracer]
MegaThumper Offline

So, he has not changed in the last twenty years or so? LOL!

#386971 - 12/19/08 04:39 PM Re: Any old Boykin Springs riders around? [Re: MegaThumper]
Irishcoffee Offline
Veteran Lunatic

Loc: TEXAS
And the only reason I've made it this far is the true compassion, love and even adoration my riding buddies have provided. Great surprise to hear from you Sam. By the way; are you still fat and ugly?

#386972 - 12/19/08 05:26 PM Re: Any old Boykin Springs riders around? [Re: Irishcoffee]
MegaThumper Offline

I have just gotten better and better at looking good... or was that fatter and uglier? Forgot which one.

Glad your still riding... I need someone slow to ride with nowadays if I can get a chance to ride in Texas!

It really is good to hear from you ! I will look you up next time I am in Port Neches, If I can find it again.

Sam

#386973 - 12/19/08 05:58 PM Re: Any old Boykin Springs riders around? [Re: MegaThumper]
Irishcoffee Offline
Veteran Lunatic

Bring it on big boy! All you'll see is my backside, and then only for a moment. Even riding sporadically my skills are too much for even your belt to contain. I promise to wait at the intersections for you.

#386974 - 12/19/08 07:33 PM Re: Any old Boykin Springs riders around? [Re: Irishcoffee]
MegaThumper Offline

Sorry guys, his memory must be playing tricks on him.... there is no way he could even SEE the intersections at his age. But he is right about one thing, I do have a stout belt!

#386975 - 12/22/08 07:24 PM Re: Any old Boykin Springs riders around? [Re: MegaThumper]
Irishcoffee Offline
Veteran Lunatic

Nothing wrong with the memory. I still realize that "Mega" has nothing to do with cc's!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Hoop, Kawboy22 

Texas Offroad Network
Sponsors & Partners

TXTEAMM - 830-612-3607 (cell) 210-912-1516 -- txteamm1@gmail.com width=

Texas Offroad Network
* We Support *

Texas 4-H Youth ATV Safety Program

The RiderDown Foundation - Helping Riders Up
American Trails
Locations of visitors to this page