TON Forums | Classifieds | Gallery | Links | Weather | Home   || OEM parts & online schematics || Cycle Gear
TON Logo
Topic Options
#361922 - 07/14/08 07:13 PM Best way/place to mount window unit 6X10 enclosed
EMARacing Offline
Hall of Fame

Loc: Round Rock, TX
What is the best way and place to mount a small window unit on an enclosed trailer? I've seen them on the nose, but how are they secured for the miles of bumpy road and jarring terrain we go down to enjoy our toys?

Any suggestions, advice, comments, etc. would be appreciated.
DLR Cycleworks
Central Texas PowerSports
HP Bikes
Answer Racing

#361923 - 07/16/08 12:32 PM Re: Best way/place to mount window unit 6X10 enclosed [Re: EMARacing]
pmkkdx Offline
Have map. Will travel!

Loc: Central Texas, USA, Earth (mos...
there are several ways that come to mind...

mounting on the nose would probably be the easiest & most logical using "L" / triangle brackets on the bottom, eye bolts with chains & turnbuckles to the top or both ... alot depends on what the inner frame is made of and how structurally sound it is. on the nose would place it out of the way with less wind drag than on the sides or top... plus you will be less likely to hit your head on it

not only do you have to worry about supporting the weight but you also have to be careful of the spring effect on bumpy roads with upward motion giving a whipping effect, so tying it downward is necessary also.

if there is room down on the trailer tongue, could mount it low using the tongue as the support under the bottom, then merely strap it down to the tongue using one of the ratcheting tie-down straps. additionally, put some of the double sided adhesive closed cell insulation between to damper some of the shock (cushion). the problem with this is if you have a bench across the front of the trailer, the air would be blowing up under the bench and might block some air flow and might limit some floor space directly in front of the a/c when parked.

just a suggestion on the first thing that popped into my head...

I think I have some "L" or triangle welded flat strap brackets that would be plenty heavy duty enough for your application that would require a little modification to attach to a flat surface if you opt to raise the a/c up off the trailer tongue... then use a ratcheting tie-down strap to secure downward similiar to the trailer tongue concept above. I'll grab a couple if I make it over to Burnet this weekend for you to play with.
(I only have to amuse myself)

#361924 - 07/21/08 01:35 PM Re: Best way/place to mount window unit 6X10 enclosed [Re: EMARacing]
pmkkdx Offline
Have map. Will travel!

I picked up 3 of the brackets I was referring to in the above post, just didn't have time to swing by CTPS on Sat. to drop them off. they look more like the number 7 and are made of flat strap, seam welded where the two legs meet. they would probably work well with some 1x1 angle attached to the front of the trailer vertially then merely bolt the 7 bracket top & bottom. some form of additional bracing (maybe another piece of 1x1 angle) going cross ways to tie them together...

I'll get them by the shop sometime this week or get Zachary to drop off for you on his lunch break one day...

#361925 - 07/23/08 08:19 PM Re: Best way/place to mount window unit 6X10 enclosed [Re: pmkkdx]
EMARacing Offline
Hall of Fame

Thanks, I really appreciate it. I'm going to try and mount it this week or weekend.
DLR Cycleworks
HP Bikes
Answer Racing

#361926 - 07/23/08 08:27 PM Re: Best way/place to mount window unit 6X10 enclosed [Re: EMARacing]
pmkkdx Offline
Have map. Will travel!

more than welcome!!! let me know if those work out for you.

#361927 - 08/09/08 01:40 AM Re: Best way/place to mount window unit 6X10 enclosed [Re: EMARacing]
Spermy Administrator Offline
Veteran Lunatic

Loc: Buda, just south of weird
Johnny, take some pix and post them so other can see. I can picture it but some aren't as visually "mental" as me. Did that come out right???

Spermy TORCS 611
Patty 611's number 1 fan
Drex TORCS 4
Scout carrying on the 611 tradition

#361928 - 08/11/08 01:27 PM Re: Best way/place to mount window unit 6X10 enclosed [Re: Spermy]
EMARacing Offline
Hall of Fame

See other post. I'll get some pics today.
DLR Cycleworks
HP Bikes
Answer Racing

Texas Offroad Network
Sponsors & Partners

KTM OF NORTH TEXAS / SLM RACING - 2260 W. Pioneer Parkway - Arlington, TX 76013 - 817-275-2228

KTM OF NORTH TEXAS / SLM RACING - 2260 W. Pioneer Parkway - Arlington, TX 76013 - 817-275-2228

TJ's Cycle - 6208 North Lamar - Austin, TX 78752 - 512.453.6255

Cycle Parts Warehouse - www.cyclepartswarehouse.com

TSCEC Website

Texas 4-H Youth ATV Safety Program

The RiderDown Foundation - Helping Riders Up

Texas Offroad Network
Affiliate Programs
American Trails
Locations of visitors to this page
Outdoor Hub