TON Forums | Classifieds | Gallery | Links | Weather | Home   || OEM parts & online schematics || Cycle Gear
TON Logo
Topic Options
#35293 - 02/18/03 08:09 PM How to dispose of "old" race fuel?
Bobby Administrator Offline
Head Honcho

Loc: Spring, Texas
We have a 55 gallon drum that has about 20 gallons of old 113 octane Phillips blue left in it. It's been sitting in the back of a buddies garage for well over a year now. It is in a hand made rack that tilts it slightly so any water is settled to a low point opposite the side where the cap is....so we could use a hand pump to pump most of it out without worry of water or sedament.

I have always read that you should not use old gas and I'm sure the gas has lost it's potency, but is it useful at all anymore?

Is there a method to test old gas to tell what the octane level is? How low can it go and still be used?

If I can't use it in a bike, could I mix it with lanwmower gas and use it there...or mix 2 or 3 gallons into a 17 gallon tank of fresh gas in my car?

If it's not good for use as fuel anymore....how the hell do I get rid of it? Who takes away old gas for free?

Is it time to get even with my ex-boss or my buddies ex-wife and use it to write Funky Yoddles in their lawn?

Maybe I could use it to make Taleban Christmas presents....like a special version of a Texas pinada?

#35294 - 02/20/03 04:38 PM Re: How to dispose of "old" race fuel? [Re: Bobby]
VPBrad Offline
TON Member

Loc: San Antonio, TX
Chances are if its been sealed up in a metal drum, in the shop and you know thats whats in there its more than likely ok but I wouldn't take the chance on killing my motor. Run it in your mower or kill your ex-bosses yard.

#35295 - 02/20/03 10:20 PM Re: How to dispose of "old" race fuel? [Re: VPBrad]
Bobby Administrator Offline
Head Honcho

Loc: Spring, Texas

How about running the old gas in our trucks...like in my Mazda B-4000?
Would it screw up injectors or other delicate high dollar repair items?

By the way....thanks for working on this new idea for a board, Brad!

It seems to be very popular already. You may have just started something!
This idea could add alot of very cool and useful info the the site every month.
And the riders get a chance to "Ask the Experts".....great idea, John!!

#35296 - 02/21/03 08:43 AM Re: How to dispose of "old" race fuel? [Re: Bobby]
VPBrad Offline
TON Member

Loc: San Antonio, TX
You can use it in something that doesn't have a catalitic converter, the lead will kill the converter and oxygen sensors things fall apart pretty fast after that. If you don't have these run it.

#35297 - 03/04/03 09:44 AM Re: How to dispose of "old" race fuel? [Re: Bobby]
Herb Offline
Gang Daddy

Bobby, like Brad said, if it was sealed up, more than likely it is ok. Any gas, VP, av gas, or even regular gas will go bad fast if it is left open. It will vaporize and all the light ends will leave. In the leaded gas, the lead can fall out if exposed to the air. Also, uv's will kill gas real quickly. If you leave your race gas in a clear plastic jug, it will go away even if it is sealed. The plastic will allow it to vent thru the plastic. Ever notice how you can not keep decals on a plastic gas tank.
I would run it in your lawn mower, weed eater, go cart or what ever. But do not run it in something with a converter. I run leaded gas in my lawn mower, rototiller, welder and weed eaters. They may sit for a long time and will always start right up. Also, I didn't say this, but it is good for killing fire ants and killing weeds along the chain length fence.

Texas Offroad Network
Sponsors & Partners

Skip's Cycles - 850 US Highway 281, Building #860 - Wichita Falls,TX 76310 - 940.723.7547

TJ's Cycle - 6208 North Lamar - Austin, TX 78752 - 512.453.6255

TSCEC Website

Texas 4-H Youth ATV Safety Program

The RiderDown Foundation - Helping Riders Up

Texas Offroad Network
Affiliate Programs
CycleGear.com Gaurantees
Shop Cycle Gear for Motorcycle Parts and Apparel
MotoSport, Inc.
Locations of visitors to this page
American Trails
Outdoor Hub