TON Forums | Classifieds | Gallery | Links | Weather | Home  
TON Logo
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#331026 - 02/22/08 06:44 PM Re: Work Needed at City Park [Re: Greg]
DeeKay Offline
Hall of Fame

Loc: DeeKay Island
Have any of you ridden mountain bikes on the Zilker Park Trail recently? I rode there over ten years ago and it was fun smooth 7 miles out with a couple of river crossings.

Now there are ledges, dirt eroded to the hard pan rock, sharp rocks all over.

Gee, do you think bicycles with 40+ psi tires, six inches of travel, disk brakes and 200 lb riders might just have a lilttle something to do with that?

City Park is a problem. It is small. It has limited trails. Clearly, there are many more mountain bikers than anything else out there.

More than anything...NONE OF US wants to loose this park to unapproved trail cutting!

Let's apply for some funds for a public place and do some trail maintainance.

HOWEVER, that being said, City Park will always be a dangerous place for a novice rider. Limestone leaves nasty BITES. Even were the trail smoothed.....falling on limestone is bad!

Finally, I have a trials bike and a KTM 300 and I can negotiate the park loop just fine on either of them. it is technical, rock riding. Until we have the funds of the Texanna Ranch (where Concho is held) so we can hire a team of people, equipment, material and supplies......I say...if people want to cement ledges...let them come out and HELP. I for one do not want to spend a lot of my time off building itty bitty ramps for people that aren't there...when I can make the trail just fine...thank you very much.

Deekaying...with my feets up

#331027 - 02/22/08 07:35 PM Re: Work Needed at City Park [Re: DeeKay]
Greg Offline
Vet AMSA Director

Loc: Austin, TX
Yeah DeeKay, the people who need this done are going to have to come out as volunteers and help. When we get ramped up to do the work we'll have MTBers too.

Like you, if I work a few days and it's all trials riders and other frequent users it will be hard to keep the motivation up. We aren't getting paid to do it so appreciation is the only payback. The park is fine for me as-is. The altruistic side of me would feel good if more people could enjoy it. Just stay out of the creeks!

Greg

#331028 - 02/22/08 08:04 PM Re: Work Needed at City Park [Re: Greg]
DeeKay Offline
Hall of Fame

Loc: DeeKay Island
Oh come on Greggy...lets share a little creek riding with em. I know a waterfall at the end some idiot on a KTM made it up!!!

#331029 - 02/22/08 09:06 PM Re: Work Needed at City Park [Re: DeeKay]
Greg Offline
Vet AMSA Director

All I saw was an orange blur move up that waterfall like some kind of freaky shape-shifting alien. I didn't want to talk about it because nobody believes in aliens!

The creeks would be a good 12 mph section in a timekeeping enduro! All the way to the road at the top of all four branches. Or a mini LMS course?

Greg

#331030 - 02/23/08 12:23 AM Re: Work Needed at City Park [Re: Dave]
oldnewbie Offline
Gang Daddy

Loc: Andice, Tx.
In reply to:

Dan, I think you might have misunderstood Greg and the trials group. Yes, Greg is a trials rider and he happens to be the current CTTA (trials) club pres., but Greg is also on the BOD for AMSA and he rides a KTM out at CP too. CTTA and AMSA recently had an official trail work day and both clubs represented well. CTTA and AMSA are committed to helping maintain and improve City Park motorcycle trails for all users. The trails have gotten harder and more dangerous over the years from use and erosion. Those trails have been in use for 30+ years. We want to help make the riding area safer and more enjoyable for the average rider and hopefully decrease the number of emergency calls to the area. The improvements are coming that I am sure everyone will like, be it trials riders, trail riders, or MTBers (wow, did I just say MTBers?).

Maybe I mis under heard Don't get me wrong, I am ALL for having a special section or twelve for the trials guys, I have been out there to watch a couple of the sanctioned events and am amazed by some of the ability out there, I also understand that this will never be a place for the beginning rider (all ground hurts shale included. ) I do feel like any trail section out there should have a "legal out" so when someone that visits, and does not know what they are getting into, can get out of a bad situation with out breaking the rules. Other than this forum I don't know of any other place where you can get info on what it's really like out there.
I really was not trying to bash Greg, I just felt the attitude that if you can't do the really hard stuff don't come out was wrong for a public place.

#331031 - 02/23/08 03:25 AM Re: Work Needed at City Park [Re: oldnewbie]
DMan100 Offline
TON Member

Weird... I thought I posted yesterday, but it's not here now.

Anyway, I'm able to get around CP on my dirt bike, but would really like to see some concrete added to narrow portions of the harder sections (or detours) so that my kids can begin to learn how to ride the main loop. My 12 year old, who's 5'6", is ready for the challenge but right now it's a huge step to have him try to navigate the tougher sections of the main loop. Having some lines to avoid the toughest sections would allow people to "grow" their skill level. Otherwise, how is one ever supposed to get good enough to tackle the tough sections?

BTW, I would be happy to spend tons of time helping on this project. I don't recall getting much notice on the last CP work day. Just give me some notice and I'll be there with bells on!

Regards,
David
AMSA Member

#331032 - 02/23/08 04:56 AM Re: Work Needed at City Park [Re: DMan100]
Greg Offline
Vet AMSA Director

That is exactly the point. Make it ridable for a larger percentage of people.

I didn't think anyone was bashing. Just good, constructive discussion. I originally did have the opinion that if you couldn't ride the loop then go somewhere else. I've reconsidered that. The fact is that people will come out, get in over their head, get scared or frustrated, and do whatever it takes to get back to the parking lot. For them, and for the people who want to use the place to improve their skills, we need to make it possible for more people to ride the loop yet leave the hard parts intact.

As someone said before, it will never be a beginner's trail. The nature of the place means it won't be beginner friendly no matter what we do to it. Anyone who thinks it should be needs to visit and ride a loop. Short of paving the whole thing like the Veloway it will always be a hard trail. There isn't enough manpower or time or money to make it that easy.

People who take the bail-outs will probably not be frequent visitors. That's just the way it is. After we make good bypasses around the hardest ledges, there will still be smaller ledges, loose rocks in the trail, slippery roots, and other dangers. Every place can't be optimized for every rider. The MX tracks would suffer if they were made easy enough for me to ride them! The people with skills would revolt. It's up to me to either learn how to ride MX or go someplace else. I think City Park will always be like that for some people.

It's public, but there are limits to what we can do. There are many forces at work influencing what happens to that trail. For one thing, there are endangered birds there and so far the population is steady. Were going to be using state money, which means following state guidelines. Undertaking this work means we're trying to have it both ways - keep it challenging but make it easier. Don't make new trail, but make bypasses to preserve the trail we have. That ain't gonna be easy!

We can do it!

Greg

Edited by Greg (02/23/08 04:59 AM)

#331033 - 02/23/08 02:29 PM Re: Work Needed at City Park [Re: Greg]
Kingham Moderator Offline
Gang Veteran

Loc: Austin

This is sounding good.. a little maintance and trail building to improve the flow for the novice rider will be great for city park.

Keep the hard parts for the experts.

reduce the rouge trail cutting. keep the rangers and enviormentalist happy.

looks like it could be win-win for everyone.

except for the new home owners around the park that will start bitchen about the noise.

#331034 - 09/04/08 10:46 PM Re: Work Needed at City Park [Re: Kingham]
Ryan_V Offline
New Boot

Any updates to this discussion?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Kingham 

Texas Offroad Network
Sponsors & Partners

KTM OF NORTH TEXAS / SLM RACING - 2260 W. Pioneer Parkway - Arlington, TX 76013 - 817-275-2228

KTM OF NORTH TEXAS / SLM RACING - 2260 W. Pioneer Parkway - Arlington, TX 76013 - 817-275-2228

TJ's Cycle - 6208 North Lamar - Austin, TX 78752 - 512.453.6255

TX Toy Sales - 1600 Globe Ave - Fort Worth, TX 76131 - 817.655.0651

TSCEC Website

Texas 4-H Youth ATV Safety Program

The RiderDown Foundation - Helping Riders Up

Texas Offroad Network
Affiliate Programs
American Trails
Locations of visitors to this page
Outdoor Hub