TON Forums | Classifieds | Gallery | Links | Home  
TON Logo
Newest Members
Bford96, PT145SS, LaFitte, LoganR, Laura Olson
23181 Registered Users
Who's Online
0 registered (), 143 Guests and 19 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
23181 Members
50 Forums
38023 Topics
248899 Posts

Max Online: 677 @ 03/29/21 12:24 PM
Search

Bike For Sale
Topic Options
#330186 - 01/07/08 11:09 PM Summer Trail Riding
tchancey Offline

Hello,

It looks like I'll be relocating from Denver to Houston. While visiting family there over Christmas, we went hiking in the Sam Houston National Forest. It was really nice & I'm eager to bring my XR250 down there to ride the trails.

I'm sure winter will be nice, but how's the riding in the summer? What can I expect in terms of mud closures, bugs, or heat? Should I expect to avoid that season all together? I was born & raised in Texas, but I guess 13 years in Colorado has me spoiled.

Thanks for any trail advice you can offer; I'm going to miss riding in the Rockies, but hopefully I can find some nice trails with a longer riding season there.

-Todd

#330187 - 01/08/08 10:13 AM Re: Summer Trail Riding [Re: tchancey]
pmkkdx Offline
Have map. Will travel!

Loc: Central Texas, USA, Earth (mos...
weclome back to Texas and to the TON (Texas Offroad Network)!!!

best thing to do is hook up with the TRH (Trail Riders of Houston) since that is the area you will be relocating too. they have a great group that race several different series of harescrambles type events (STORM, TORCS, etc.), TSCEC (the Texas Enduro circuit), and have family days & enduros around the Houston area both on private property & national forest.

pretty much year around riding due to the mild weather, summer can be a bit brutal with heat & humidity down in that area, but it's a few hours drive to the north / west to a little bit drier (still hot) climate for a weekend trip.

surf around thru the main index at the top and I'm sure you will find different forums to suit pretty much any style of riding (from racing to dual sport to just trails). big difference in Texas, is majority of the land is privately owned, so alot of the riding areas cost to ride (of course other than national forest). there's not a whole lot of activity here in the camping forum, but chime in on the TRH and Open forums to hook up (plus alot more attention there).
(I only have to amuse myself)

#330188 - 01/08/08 10:14 AM Re: Summer Trail Riding [Re: tchancey]
getndirty Offline
Gang Daddy

Loc: Houston, TX
In reply to:

Hello,

It looks like I'll be relocating from Denver to Houston. While visiting family there over Christmas, we went hiking in the Sam Houston National Forest. It was really nice & I'm eager to bring my XR250 down there to ride the trails.

I'm sure winter will be nice, but how's the riding in the summer? What can I expect in terms of mud closures, bugs, or heat? Should I expect to avoid that season all together? I was born & raised in Texas, but I guess 13 years in Colorado has me spoiled.

Thanks for any trail advice you can offer; I'm going to miss riding in the Rockies, but hopefully I can find some nice trails with a longer riding season there.

-Todd

Hey Todd!

Check in the TRH forum for maps and information on SHNF (Sam Houston National Forest), you can also call and check their recorded message to see if the trails are open (usually closed for a few days after a rain). The local # is 936-344-6205 and the toll-free # is 888-361-6908 (not 100% sure if the toll free lists the trail status or not though).

If you live close to the forest, check into MSRA - they have about 800-900 acres of private land about 10 minutes from there for trail riding. There's also TRH and Skull Creek (west of Houston) with about 2000 acres for riding. Both clubs have forums on texasoffroad.net.

...or you can PM me when you get to Houston and I'd be happy to take you out as a guest to either of those facilities for a ride.

-Al

My doctor told me he thought I had ADD, but I....hey look, a chicken!!!

#330189 - 01/09/08 06:58 PM Re: Summer Trail Riding [Re: getndirty]
Hoop Offline

Loc: Beaumont TX
2 words:

VENTED GEAR

1 more word:

CAMELBACK

P.S. If you ride fast, there's a breeze. It's only when you stop that it gets hot.

#330190 - 01/09/08 09:56 PM Re: Summer Trail Riding [Re: Hoop]
tchancey Offline

Thanks for the quick tips! I'm looking forward to getting the bikes down there & checking it all out. I'll miss the mountain trails in the summer, but right now they're covered with snow & not much good.

Later,

Todd

#330191 - 01/25/08 09:39 AM Re: Summer Trail Riding [Re: tchancey]
450Gunner Offline
Hall of Fame

Loc: Katy, TX.
Todd,

OUTLAWTRAX.COM is the place MSRA maintains like Al mentioned. A great place to ride as is the national forest. Camel backs and keep moving is the trick to avoid the heat!!!
Note to self......Wheel side down!!!
Thanks to my Major Sponsor...ADVIL!!
John 3:16

Texas Offroad Network
Sponsors & Partners

TXTEAMM - 830-612-3607 (cell) 210-912-1516 -- txteamm1@gmail.com width=

Texas Offroad Network
* We Support *

Texas 4-H Youth ATV Safety Program

The RiderDown Foundation - Helping Riders Up
American Trails
Locations of visitors to this page