TON Forums | Classifieds | Gallery | Links | Home  
TON Logo
Topic Options
#327537 - 12/18/07 11:09 PM Dallas XC rider looking for a Challenge in Austin
funkymonkey Offline

Loc: Flower Mound
I am a competitive cross-country rider from the Dallas area -TCCRA and TORO, I am an intermediate rider. I have recently become interested in pursuing Trials as a way to improve my technical riding ability. I ride a KTM 520 and a KX250 and will be spending time in the Austin area over Christmas and New Years and will be bringing my bikes with me.

Emma Park looks like a great place to do some technical riding - seems like all the pictures I saw were of Trials riders, do you see many dirt bikes out there? Do you recommend the 520 or the KX?

Should I go here at all or is there a better place to spend my vacation riding in Austin? I will be going out to Cherokee Hills for some fast riding but I really want to work on my log jumping and clutch/brake control.

I'm from Georgetown so I know the area very well, however I moved to Dallas before I started riding so that aspect of the Austin area I know nothing about.

Also, I am not familiar with the OHV sticker thing, where do you put that? On your fender? Can you still buy one at that bike shop on Lamar?

Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Dave Sabella
Funky-Monkey

#327538 - 12/19/07 12:11 AM Re: Dallas XC rider looking for a Challenge in Aus [Re: funkymonkey]
funkymonkey Offline

Never mind.

After reading all the posts on this site the last thing you guys need is a dude on a big 520 or screaming KX250 spinnin' his tires trying to get up those rock ledges.

This place is too valuable and important for the riding community (especially the Trials and MTB guys) for weekend warrior XC racers to come out and possibly endanger the future of the park by being too loud or by tearing up the terrain.

I will take my bikes to a different riding area and hopefully enjoy your park when I purchase a Trials bike.

HOWEVER, I may have to take a look at those houses they built nearby, maybe I'll buy one and take it off the market! My wife wants to move back to Austin anyway.

Thanks and keep up the fight, it's definitely worth it - we've seen our share of riding areas disappear up here as a result of development, the most tragic being Mosier Valley, a legendary motocross track that was around for years - built smack dab in the middle of a landfill and STILL was closed down when the landfill became a development and people moved next to a motocross track in plain view and complained about the loud bikes! What a shame.

Dave Sabella
Funky-Monkey

#327539 - 12/19/07 12:36 AM Re: Dallas XC rider looking for a Challenge in Austin [Re: funkymonkey]
Dave Offline
AMSA Gang Boss

Loc: Spicewood
Hey Dave, I say give the KX a couple of loops out at City Park, that's what that place was originally designed for. Use it and enjoy it! You do have to be sportin' a current TPWD off road decal to ride there legally, but it's only $8 and the money goes to support our riding areas.

Also, while you are in the area, check out Boulder Creek Trail Park near Marble Falls. They have their own website and forum here on TON. They are a new opertation and we are still building new trails but it's a beautiful BIG piece of property to ride on. There is some great single track out there that the local dirt bikes clubs have put in so be sure to get you a map of the trails and bring plenty of fuel. Medium/Hard terrain tires work well at both places.

Have fun, Merry Christmas, and hook up with AMSA if you guys move back to Austin.

#327540 - 12/19/07 01:15 AM Re: Dallas XC rider looking for a Challenge in Aus [Re: Dave]
Greg Offline
Vet AMSA Director

Loc: Austin, TX
Yeah, give the KX a shot at Emma Long City Park. You'll want a good skid plate and that should be enough. Oh, and all your protective gear including knee and elbow pads. It's all rocks there.

TJ's Cycles on Lamar sells the TPWD sticker for $8.00 and you can put it on your fork leg like it shows on the back of the sticker or you can put it on the back of your front number plate like I did where it can be seen but it won't get messed up when you remove your forks.

Boulder Creek is a lot like Emma Long but the ledges haven't been worn into three-foot steps like at Emma Long. And it's way bigger. But it isn't free - you have to pay $25 per day plus $8-$10 per year for insurance to ride there.

Cherokee in Milano is good if you don't want any more rocks.

There are trails at Cross Creek MX and at Del Valle MX. They might be muddy though.

Greg

#327541 - 12/19/07 03:08 PM Re: Dallas XC rider looking for a Challenge in Aus [Re: Greg]
Cheztino Offline
New Boot

Loc: Austin
Dave,

I can ride over break! What days will you be in town? We can hit up Emma Long, Boulder Creek, or CTOR. Don't worry about riding full size bikes at Emma Long. Just be aware that there are some challenging ledges and trailblazing to bypass them is not allowed. If you bring the KX to Emma a pipe protector is suggested.

Aaron

#327542 - 12/19/07 08:27 PM Re: Dallas XC rider looking for a Challenge in Aus [Re: Cheztino]
tracetrimble Offline
Gang Boss

I ride the main loop on a big bike all the time. There is a clean line on almost every obstacle out there, you just have to be willing to stay on the gas. I'll be around most of the holidays and looking to ride. Post up in this thread what days you can make it out, maybe we can put together a big bike day.
TORCS #598 Open A, KTM 300XC
www.powersportparts.net #iridedunlop #lucaslegion #twinair #leatt #spyoptic #hookit

#327543 - 12/20/07 02:43 AM Re: Dallas XC rider looking for a Challenge in Aus [Re: funkymonkey]
funkymonkey Offline

Wow, you guys are great down there! I will definitely post when I'm available, I'm thinking sometime between next Thursday and Monday, doesn't really matter to me - but seriously, I race fast, open West Texas tracks with some hill climbs thrown in and some minor log crossings, I don't want to hold anyone up and get busted up trying to do trials on my big bike but I would like some of you technical riders to show me how to navigate these obstacles.

I just went through a recent race in Bowie where they actually built in an extreme section with planted tractor tires, upright and flat, a rock bed and several logs, some stacked - it was tough, I could barely get through and guys taking the alternate actually went by faster than me - I have GOT to get better at the technical riding.

By the way, my KX is geared pretty high for top end stuff, 14 front, 50 rear, should I gear down? maybe a 13 front? I could do that quickly without having to get a new chain. I'm just worried about having enough low end to grunt up some of those ledges.

Advice is appreciated.

Dave

#327544 - 12/20/07 06:21 AM Re: Dallas XC rider looking for a Challenge in Aus [Re: funkymonkey]
Chris_S Offline
Veteran Lunatic

Loc: North Richland Hills, TX
Yes, gear down, and as already mentioned, a pipe guard would be handy. I don't have one on my 300, and my pipe has several "character marks" from City Park. A flywheel weight would also be helpful if you don't already have one.

I'm off work through 1/1, and am down to join the ride out there, schedule permitting. Weekdays are best, since I prefer to hit Boulder Creek on the weekends.

#327545 - 12/22/07 02:03 PM Re: Dallas XC rider looking for a Challenge in Aus [Re: Chris_S]
tracetrimble Offline
Gang Boss

Headed out to ride late morning today, if anyone's interested. Gonna be riding slower with a City Park virgin, too. Probably be there around 11a.
TORCS #598 Open A, KTM 300XC
www.powersportparts.net #iridedunlop #lucaslegion #twinair #leatt #spyoptic #hookit

Moderator:  Kingham 

Texas Offroad Network
Sponsors & Partners

KTM OF NORTH TEXAS / SLM RACING - 2260 W. Pioneer Parkway - Arlington, TX 76013 - 817-275-2228

KTM OF NORTH TEXAS / SLM RACING - 2260 W. Pioneer Parkway - Arlington, TX 76013 - 817-275-2228

TJ's Cycle - 6208 North Lamar - Austin, TX 78752 - 512.453.6255

TX Toy Sales - 1600 Globe Ave - Fort Worth, TX 76131 - 817.655.0651

Texas Offroad Network
* We Support *

TSCEC Website

Texas 4-H Youth ATV Safety Program

The RiderDown Foundation - Helping Riders Up
American Trails
Locations of visitors to this page
Outdoor Hub