TON Forums | Classifieds | Gallery | Links | Home  
TON Logo
Newest Members
JamesBot, RobertUrish, Jamesacark, TrevorTeand, Bford96
23185 Registered Users
Who's Online
0 registered (), 89 Guests and 26 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
23185 Members
50 Forums
38023 Topics
248899 Posts

Max Online: 677 @ 03/29/21 12:24 PM
Search

Bike For Sale
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#317418 - 10/03/07 03:38 PM Beginner's area at Emma Long?
Java Offline
Gang Member

Loc: Austin TX
Hello All,

My daughter (16) is just learning to ride (XR80) and I am looking for a good place for her to get some pracitce time in. I don't have a bike yet so I am hoping there is someplace where she can ride but remain in sight a majority of the time in case she gets stuck and needs help.

Does Emma Long have a good practice/beginner area that might work?

Thanks,
Java

Just my 10 cents,
Java
AMD Blog http://links.amd.com/Home
Twitter: Java_Jack

#317419 - 10/03/07 09:47 PM Re: Beginner's area at Emma Long? [Re: Java]
MXerDude Offline
Veteran Lunatic

Loc: Almost there.. 8)
from what i here its not beginner friendly... id go to cross creek, that place is a great place for beginners to learn to ride both track and trails...

#317420 - 10/03/07 11:04 PM Re: Beginner's area at Emma Long? [Re: MXerDude]
Greg Offline
Vet AMSA Director

Loc: Austin, TX
There is a short, unmarked beginner's trail that starts and ends near the restroom. It's pretty heavily wooded there so you won't be able to watch her the whole time. You can hear her though. There is also a large open area just beyond the parking lot where she could ride in circles.

Like MXerDude said, the trail itself is most definitely not beginner friendly. As you'll see, there are sharp rocks and high ledges the whole way around. It's good training for an accomplished rider. Many people find themselves looking for the short way out, not wanting to go back through what they already went through, which would also mean going the wrong way on the one-way trail, and not knowing how much worse it is ahead of them.

Remember, Emma Long is free but you need the eight dollar Texas OHV Program yearly pass sticker on the bike to ride there. You can get one of those at TJ's Cycles on Lamar. I don't know who else carries them.

Go and let her ride in the open area and try the beginner's loop if she does ok. Have fun!

Greg

#317421 - 10/05/07 03:39 PM Re: Beginner's area at Emma Long? [Re: Greg]
Patman Offline
Gang Member

Loc: Left field
For sure what Greg said Java, stay away from the main loop! The end of the parking lot and beginner loop would be fine just be sure she has plenty of protection in the event of a fall because it is HARD. The beginner loop might be a little intimidating for a total newbie because you do loose sight of the parking lot but there is nothing that should pose much problem for her on an XR80. Another option is to bring the little XR out to my place next time There's a little beginner level loop that ties in to the dirt road and I suspect I could get my son to show her the ropes without any arm twisting also I've got some little plastic cones I have used for various trainning/learning exercises as well that we could set up in the front "yard" to practice with. Yet another option is I let ya' borrow my pit bike to follow her around at City Park on.

#317422 - 10/06/07 12:31 AM Re: Beginner's area at Emma Long? [Re: Patman]
Java Offline
Gang Member

Well, I built a loading ramp today so I could take her to the park tomorrow for a little bit. Probably have her run some circles so she get's used to starting, stopping and shifting gears. I can then take the bike on the beginner loop and see how it goes, then walk the run with her so she knows the way then let her try it herself if she feels ready.

I have helmet, elbow, and knee pads for her. I also have some boots for her. They are a little too big for her but they will work until I can get her some that fit correctly.

It will be a good start for her to get some practice while I am gathering the cash to get my own ride. I need to pick up the OHV sticker in the morning though before heading out there.

I am not sure who is more excited, me or her. LOL

Just my 10 cents,
Java

#317423 - 10/06/07 05:28 PM Re: Beginner's area at Emma Long? [Re: Java]
Patman Offline
Gang Member

How did it go? Was a good time had by all?

#317424 - 10/06/07 09:03 PM Re: Beginner's area at Emma Long? [Re: Patman]
Java Offline
Gang Member

Went pretty good. She never got out of first gear, but she putted around the area next to the parking for about 1.5 hrs.

She enjoyed it, but she was pretty tired so we kept it short. Probably a good thing I don't have a bike yet. I think she will need several rounds of practice before she is ready to take on any trails.

I think we will spend the next several trips to Emma long just to get her familiar.

I did not care for how much rock there was. Makes it a little tough for a beginner to feel comfortable on a bike. Need some place close by that is more dirt and less rock.

Just my 10 cents,
Java

#317425 - 10/06/07 10:37 PM Re: Beginner's area at Emma Long? [Re: Java]
MXerDude Offline
Veteran Lunatic

Loc: Almost there.. 8)
cross creek is about 30 minutes from austin... go there its perfect for beginners...

Cross Creek's website...

#317426 - 10/07/07 10:32 AM Re: Beginner's area at Emma Long? [Re: Java]
Patman Offline
Gang Member

Anything west of I35 is going to be pretty rocky, especially near the river.

#317427 - 10/07/07 08:57 PM Re: Beginner's area at Emma Long? [Re: Patman]
Java Offline
Gang Member

Oh well. It will work for now.

Though, as boy crazy as she is, she would probably enjoy learning to ride the bike at your house! LOL

Just my 10 cents,
Java

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Kingham 

Texas Offroad Network
Sponsors & Partners

TXTEAMM - 830-612-3607 (cell) 210-912-1516 -- txteamm1@gmail.com width=

Texas Offroad Network
* We Support *

Texas 4-H Youth ATV Safety Program