TON Forums | Classifieds | Gallery | Links | Weather | Home   || OEM parts & online schematics || Cycle Gear
TON Logo
Topic Options
#316206 - 09/23/07 05:21 PM National and State Forests
Java Offline
Gang Member

Loc: Austin TX
Anyone ever camp and ride at any of the National and/or State parks?

I know there is Sabine and Sam Houston that have multipurpose trails that allow motorcycles.

Anyone ride there, how is it? Why aren't they listed in the "places to ride"? Is it because they are multi use and not dedicated to motorcycles?

Just my 10 cents,
Java
AMD Blog http://links.amd.com/Home
Twitter: Java_Jack

#316207 - 09/23/07 06:05 PM Re: National and State Forests [Re: Java]
Hoop Offline

Loc: Beaumont TX
see the Trail Riders of Houston forum for info on Sam Houston NF. As far as I know, the Sabine NF does not have any designated trails. Neither does the Angelina NF, although there may be some in the future.

#316208 - 09/25/07 04:32 AM Re: National and State Forests [Re: Hoop]
Java Offline
Gang Member

Loc: Austin TX
I am just wondering how the riding and camping is there.

Are there a lot of trails or just a few trails that you can ride over and over.
What type of trails? Forest, trees and troll trails or more desert?
1 way or bi-directional?
Elevation changes on the trails?
Tight, technical trails or more open and scenic?
Beginner areas to ride? Kid Friendly?
Do you run into a lot of other trail users? (horses, 4x4s, etc.)?
Any good pics of the area?
Are there areas to camp out near the riding areas?
Any good hill climbs in the area?

Just my 10 cents,
Java
AMD Blog http://links.amd.com/Home
Twitter: Java_Jack

#316209 - 09/28/07 04:19 PM Re: National and State Forests [Re: Java]
ktmlance Offline
Gang Veteran

Loc: Watauga, TX
Sam Houston National Forest is HUGE, there is over 100 miles of trails, I think they are bi directional and open usage, horses, quads etc.... but good riding, sandy and wooded. Not much elevation change.

You need the offroad sticker and make sure you stay on designated trails and off paved roads without a plate.

Check out TRH forum, they can tell you where to camp etc....

You can also try Barnwell Mountian near Gilmer and Ozona out west of San Antonio.....Public areas dedicated to OHV's, I think you can overnight camp at both.

#316210 - 10/01/07 06:13 PM Re: National and State Forests [Re: ktmlance]
pmkkdx Offline
Have map. Will travel!

Loc: Central Texas, USA, Earth (mos...
except, Ozona is not open yet... (if in reference to the TMTC property)

Edited by pmkkdx (10/01/07 06:13 PM)
(I only have to amuse myself)

#316211 - 11/11/07 04:01 AM Re: National and State Forests [Re: pmkkdx]
EnduroRdr Offline
Gang Boss

Loc: Tomball TX
We camp SHNF pretty often. Tons of trails but most are sandy. There is one camping area that is connected to the multi-use trails - Kelly Pond (primitive camping). You must have the sticker for all bikes or quads. The trails are bi directional. And yes you MUST stay on designated trails. Even the dirt roads that lead in and around the national forest require a licensed vehicle. You will need to buy a day pass for all persons (I think 16 years and up) the little ones are covered under your pass but you must be riding with them. Last time I checked the day pass was 5 bucks (each adult). You can also get the annual pass for 25 bucks. My wife and I each get the annual and all my kids are under 16. The prices may be higher soon if not already.
There is a primitive rest room already there, no running water or elec. at Kelly pond. There are other camp sites in the area with hookups but none are connected to the trails so you would have to truck or trailer bikes to the trail head. Unless you have plates!

All in all good trails and riding for next to nothing in cost. Just make sure you know the rules and follow them. The rangers like to ticket if your caught riding the roads.
All the riders there are great people, and the trails are kept up Thanks to the Houston Trail Riders they do a great job keeping things in order and helping with the forest service / public relations aspect.

http://www.fs.fed.us/r8/texas/recreation/sam_houston/samhouston_gen_info.shtml

Texas Offroad Network
Sponsors & Partners

KTM OF NORTH TEXAS / SLM RACING - 2260 W. Pioneer Parkway - Arlington, TX 76013 - 817-275-2228

KTM OF NORTH TEXAS / SLM RACING - 2260 W. Pioneer Parkway - Arlington, TX 76013 - 817-275-2228

TJ's Cycle - 6208 North Lamar - Austin, TX 78752 - 512.453.6255

Cycle Parts Warehouse - www.cyclepartswarehouse.com

TSCEC Website

Texas 4-H Youth ATV Safety Program

The RiderDown Foundation - Helping Riders Up

Texas Offroad Network
Affiliate Programs
American Trails
Locations of visitors to this page
Outdoor Hub