TON Forums | Classifieds | Gallery | Links | Weather | Home   || OEM parts & online schematics || Cycle Gear
TON Logo
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#3157 - 05/22/01 10:32 PM Well meaning friends
jody2ms Offline
New Boot

Any mom's or dad's out there that get a bit harrassed by non-riding "friends" who can't understand how we could possibly let our child ride a dirt bike because they are so dangerous?

My friends are just so baffled and so concerned that they make me feel like a bad mother.

Everything has risks associated with it. So, do you insulate your kids from all that is beyond your comfort zone??

Any thoughts from you veteran moms and dads?

#3158 - 05/23/01 07:32 PM Re: Well meaning friends [Re: jody2ms]
reddana Offline
New Boot

Loc: Round Rock
Kids are going to be kids no matter what they do. All we can do as parents is to teach and support what they have chosen to do. My son age 11, has been riding for a year now (we don't race, just because of time). My daughter age 9, just got her first bike. We teach them how to ride safely, to wear the right equipment and to watch out for other riders.

Just tell your friends to mind their own business you are your childs MOM not them. How many skinned knees and broken arms have been recieved from skateboards, bicycles and scooters?

Keep the kids riding - it is a great family sport - our whole family rides too!

Dana

#3159 - 05/23/01 09:49 PM Re: Well meaning friends [Re: jody2ms]
Anonymous
Unregistered

My husband rides a street bike and my son wanted one and now we race. Caleb started on a Suzuki JR 50. He now has that bike along with a KTM 50 cc and a Kawasaki 60 cc. The TCHSS Series is by far the best thing that has happened to us as a family in a long time. We also have many people asking us if we are crazy for letting Caleb do this, but I think they are all crazy for not letting there children see the family atmosphere that the TCHSS provides. The people are great!!! And kids get hurt doing all kinds of things. Why should dirt bikes be left out of the fun??

We say let the kids ride!!

Lisa

P.S. We also do playdays for the 50 and 60 cc kids. It's normally a whole weekend of camping and just lots of kids riding. They have been alot of fun. Hoping to have another soon. Join us if you can.

#3160 - 05/25/01 02:32 PM Re: Well meaning friends
CLB Offline
Gang Member

Loc: Austin,TX
Hi Lisa, and you other girls, I'm not a mom, but Dads have opinions on this also. Since Lisa knows me, I hope that y'all will let a Dad speak up for a second. I also received a little flak about letting my now 5 year old ride. At the Hare Scrambles, my son is the littlest one out there, but he's giving it all he's got. When he comes by for lap one, or lap 5, it doesn't matter to him, he's got the biggest grin on his face, and from what others tell me, so do I. This has become a great bonding time for us, and we are much closer for it. We also have met some of the nicest most respectable families while riding. I have learned that there will always be people who try to run your life for you, but have also learned that I will not let someone crash in on such an enriching experience. Go with your gut feelings on it, and all naysayers be damned. Your kids and family will be far richer for it. Ok, off the soapbox now.....Hope y'all have a great time riding and racing as a family....we do....Cary (T30) and Charles (K30).

#3161 - 05/25/01 10:10 PM Re: Well meaning friends [Re: CLB]
racerK4 Offline
Gang Member

Loc: Burton, Tx
So well said Cary. If you have time this weekend--why don't you bring Charles out to ride. And anyone else out there that doesn't have anywhere for the little ones to ride this weekend. Just e-mail us @ bradforde@alpha1.net . We are always game and have no plans for the weekend but cutting down a tree.

For those that don't know--Brad and I kinda feel like Charles is our poster child for playdays. He rode with little bikers for the first time at a playday. And look where he is now. And we are loving it!!

Lisa

#3162 - 05/26/01 07:18 PM Re: Well meaning friends [Re: reddana]
Bobby Administrator Offline
Head Honcho

Loc: Spring, Texas
Hi Dana,

I'm glad to see this forum starting. This is exactly the kind of thing we had hoped for when we started the Network.....the community building whatever they want to build to support the community.....this is just too cool. Thanks to any of you who are hanging out here and posting and getting others interested in posting....that's how the momentum gets started.

I agree with your comments. My points are this.....back in '63 at age 8, I had a serious bicycle accident and almost died. Actually passed over for a few minutes and came back from....er, that is, from what I'm told (we'll leave that topic for another forum).....and I still got my son started riding a PeeWee 80 at age 8. The accidents in life are just a matter of life. If you go out and live life, you'll probably have accidents.

My dad learned to ride at age 52 and taught me at age 14. I've been hooked ever since. I taught my wife and my son.....and over the years, about two dozen other kids. The key to learning to ride is knowing your skill level and the limits to your ability.... and not pushing yourself past the point where you feel comfortable....regardless of what your friends say. I've written several articles on the subject over the years and I'll gladly post a a really simple How-To for kids/beginners if you'd like.

Bottom line is.....if you let your kid climb trees, he's at risk of getting broken bones or worse.....anytime he's out of your sight, he's at risk....more kids get hurt each year because a caring, protective parent let them ride unbelted in the back seat going to the local grocery store than any moto-related accidents.....at the track, I can watch my son ride and coach him on his mistakes, but when he takes off on his bike to visit friends and hang out, crossing streets he's helplessly alone against the heavy metal traffic.

BTW - Great icon.....I Ride Red and am a redhead (just nothing left on top, but a ponytail to keep the old hippie thing going).....yada yada yada.....see ya' around....Bobby

#3163 - 05/28/01 10:30 PM Re: Well meaning friends [Re: jody2ms]
Shift_Happens Offline
TON Member

Loc: Houston
Geez, another topic near and dear to my heart.

As a mom of 3 boys, 2 which began to ride before they were 2, I can relate to this topic.

Our boys were riding a 50 wheeler before they were 2. A PW 50 when they were 3, PW 80 when they
turned 5 and a KX 60 at age 7. Now the 14 year old rides a YZ 125 so I feel qualified to post.

I have heard it all. But for those who know and love me (yall do love me don't ya) I am also not one to
stay quiet.

Everything has its own dangers. Motorcycles are no different. But the rewards are also a factor.
Motorcycles have provided many benefits for my sons.
1) Great gross motor skills. They could not ride a PW 50 until they could ride thier bikes without training wheels.
They learned at age 3.
2) Best incentive for "House Breaking". Yep, they were told they could not get a PW 50 until they were
housebroken so that was quick.
3) Quick decision making skills. Life is not "fixed" in 30 minutes like the sitcoms. I feel that riding motorcycles has
enhanced the decision making skills of each boy
4) Appreciation for the earth and wildlife. (You don't truly learn this in front of TV or vidoe game)
5) You and you only. Though not knocking team sports, too many times I hear, "We lost cuz Billy didn't
catch the ball. If John had not done this, we would have won." Motorcycles is a sport that you are
it. It is up to you and you only. IF you chose to race, there will be other factors but it is still up to you.
6) Mechanical skills and Responsiblity. Now this is a biggie. Everyone, boy or girl should know who to work
on things. My boys can do things to motorcycles that grown men cannot do. They are lucky to have a dad
who is a top tech to teach them. The responsibility of proper maintenance, washing, buying new parts and
bigger bikes has made them learn about money and budgeting.
7) Famliy. To me, this is one of the major ones. A family who can ride for an entire weekend together has
something that most families only dream about. Show me a family that is spending the entire weekends each month
camping and riding together and I will show you family ties that will last a life time.
8) Physical Conditioning. With all the couch potatos we have in this world today, riding motorcycles is
a great way to stay in shape.

I could go on and on but I know, I am preaching to the choir.

But for injuries, again, I can speak from experiance. I have had a child, Life Flighted out of the Colorado Mountains
from a motorcycle accident. At age 9, spending 5 days in SICU. Only to have it happen again after 3 months.
But you know what? Poop Happens! I know of more children who have been hurt playing soccer, baseball
and just goofing around. Iin my past 14 years of riding I have only had the above and a broken collar bone.
Yes, the accidents have been scary, but I would not want them to sit on the couch all day and be safe playing
their video games.

The problem I see is parents who simply do not know or those who should know better.
Should Know Better - these are the parents who buy Billy a motorscooter cuz his friends have
one. They let him ride in the neighborhood, no protective gear, unsupervised. This is a mjor gripe
of mine. These bikes are loud and are not made to ride in the neighborhood streets. Without the
proper gear, the chances of getting hurt increase big time. Because he has no supervision, the
likelyhood of doing something stupid again rises fast. Shame on these parents. They make us
good ones look bad.

Do not know better. - These are the parents who have never seen a properly dressed/protected
rider. They do not know the hours of instruction that have gone into safe riding. They have never
seen a motor cycle park dedicated to the sport and safe riding. They have never seen the smile
of a child learning to "shift" or clearing the first double.

All I can say is, hold your head high. Act surprised when they show their ignorance and of course you
could always say what I do.

You let your children drink Soft Drinks? Wow, now that is really dangerous.

Gets'em every time. (Ok, Ok, a whole differnt Soap Box)

Just e-mail me/us on this board any time. You will get plenty of support.

Cyndi Herzing
Pit Slave
M9
B4

#3164 - 05/28/01 11:06 PM Re: Well meaning friends [Re: Shift_Happens]
jody2ms Offline
New Boot

" Great gross motor skills. They could not ride a PW 50 until they could ride thier bikes without training wheels.
They learned at age 3."

Same with our 3 year old. He is a maniac. We told him "when you can ride without training wheels, you can have a dirt bike." We are putting our money where our mouths are now. He sets up jumps, pops wheelies....we took him to the bike marathon at the park last month, and everyone was freaking out about him riding without training wheels and doing all of his freestyle stuff.

He is like that with everything though. He was swimming at 2...not just jumping to me, but swimming underwater to me.

The funny thing is, the friends that are giving me a hard time are the ones whose kids play football, own shotguns and 22's, and ride 4 wheelers. Hmmmm.

The great thing is this....my husband. He basically lets me call the shots, and when I get the heebie jeebies about something, or "mother's intuition", we don't do it. I am glad for that.

"but I would not want them to sit on the couch all day and be safe playing
their video games"

What if it was "Pastrana -vs- McGrath"?? ;^)

Jody

It's all good!

#3165 - 06/13/01 04:32 PM Re: Well meaning friends [Re: jody2ms]
pokemang99 Offline
Gang Boss

Loc: Round Rock, Tx

This is a great topic.
Christopher made a mistake at the outlaw trax practice and broke his left leg. He has been riding since he was 5 and racing since he was 8. This was not by some grand design...it just happened.
I still would not change any of it...
We have had more quality time ( a phrase I hate) than most. But most appropriate.
Everyone involved in this sport has got to do everything possible to educate one another to limit the possibilities of injuries from ignorance. Bad things happen. The best we can all hope for is that they are few, far between and of little consequence.

I look back at the events of the day leading up to Christopher's MISTAKE...( He over jumped a jump and flat landed.)
There were so many things that may have not allowed this to happen.....
I guess what I am saying is have a plan, be organized, be ahead of schedule, don't deviate from a set routine and it will minimize the risks involved....

This is very much a sport where a little stupidity goes a long way....and the consequences can be devastating.
I have broken both of my ankles while riding, so I am speaking from experience.
I hear about too many people getting hurt just playing around...
The kids especially need to be made to realize how serious they should be while riding...

Enough said...
Christopher (F6) is getting along fine

Corby Jesperson (G99)
Professional Services
Engagement Manager
Journyx

#3166 - 06/15/01 04:05 AM Re: Well meaning friends [Re: jody2ms]
Rwhite Offline
TON Member

Loc: Austin tx
Hey Corby, I am glad to hear that your Christopher (F-6) is O.K. My Christopher (F-13) is out for 6 weeks with a wrist injury that he suffered doing basically the same thing. The point is, we try to do everything that we can to keep them from getting injured in any sport, but as the lady said "Poo-Poo happens!!" It is hard to explain that to friends, relatives,coworkers and even your spouse sometimes. It only made it harder when I broke my neck at Lakeside. Fortunately, there are people like us and our kids. Life would be very boring for them without being able to watch people like us, who have taken that calculated risk to teach their kids to race, snowboard, fly, or play any other extreme game there is. I believe it is called, "Living life to its full potential," using the right equipment and giving them as much training/coaching as possible, of course.

Thanks for the thread jody2ms

See ya at the track...
Rob C-13

Whitehouse

#3167 - 06/19/01 02:00 AM Re: Well meaning friends [Re: Rwhite]
jody2ms Offline
New Boot

Hey all.

Well, we all went to Skull Creek this weekend for the family enduro. What a blast. I rode with Cory(6) in the a.m., and Dad rode in the second loop. I should be incredibly sore today, but remarkably feel great. The little guy did so great. Had to pull him out of a few mud holes (I slept like a rock last night), but he was a trooper and not a complaint out of him. Some of the hills and mud holes were a bit scary for him, but he did them and was so excited to have "raced" with mom.

What a great day.

Have one question. We are hoping to join Skull Creek, and are on the list, but are wondering about something. Are the kids allowed to ride in the fenced area? While at this ride, we were concerned about several of the kids riding 'round and 'round the camp area. There were signs that read "5 miles per hour", but they were going much faster than that and using it as a small race track. One child on a Honda came within 2 feet of running into my sleeping baby in his stroller. We were in the grass, and he was cutting through the trees and such. No parents in sight. This went on for over 1 1/2 hours. I flagged him down twice and he did not listen to me. I would hope that this area, with a playground and small children running around, could be a safe zone, but it did not feel that way.

I would think that this area should only be for riders to go to and from the trails and not used as a small race/practice track.

Okay, my peace said.....

Jody

It's all good!

#3168 - 06/19/01 07:29 PM Re: Well meaning friends [Re: jody2ms]
Herb Offline
Gang Daddy

Jody, this should not of happened. I was there, but out riding the afternoon loop. We all have to put a stop to this. We do not allow the kids or adults to ride around and around the camp area. This can lead to action by the park committe. The kids are suppose to ride outside the fence.

#3169 - 06/22/01 02:49 PM Re: Well meaning friends [Re: Herb]
Tbone Offline
Gang Member

There sure is a lot of guys talkin on here for this to be a forum for "moms".

"I may be stupid,but I'm not you"

#3170 - 06/22/01 09:51 PM Re: Well meaning friends [Re: Tbone]
jody2ms Offline
New Boot

How 'bout we change it to "Parents of Kids Who Ride"?

Jody

It's all good!

#3171 - 06/22/01 09:58 PM Re: Well meaning friends [Re: Herb]
jody2ms Offline
New Boot

I thought so. It was super annoying. When they stopped, (after almost 2 hours), it was like heaven! The kids did not listen to me when I flagged 'em down and told them to stop. Just kept on going, round and round and round and round and round......it was maddening.

The worst part was our little boy....we told him it was against the rules to ride around there, but he kept asking "Well, why are they riding?" Smart kid. That was our questions too. Not fair for only some to follow the rules.

The kids were on Hondas. I think a 60 or 80 and a 50.

All in all, a great day except for this.

Jody

It's all good!

#3172 - 07/17/01 05:37 PM Re: Well meaning friends [Re: jody2ms]
Muddin Offline

Loc: Stephenville, TX
Nowadays it seems to me that a good parent is to put their kids in this bubble. What does that do? Makes them unprepared for the real world where there are consequences for actions. Children raised in a bubble don't realize that some things are dangerous and they don't know how to be careful because they have never had to be careful. I'm not a mother. But, my kids will be able to enjoy sports. There are more things learned from sports of any kind (for example bikes) than kids seriously injured or killed. I think that you are doing a good job in not raising whinney snot nosed brats that won't have a clue when they grow up and move out.

I've got a mind like a...a...what's that thing called?

http://www.geocities.com/muddin4fun79blazer

www.geocities.com/muddin4fun79blazer

#3173 - 08/15/01 02:35 PM Re: Well meaning friends [Re: Muddin]
snakecharmer Offline
New Boot

Loc: Cedar Park, Tx
Great thread Jody. I'm another dad jumping in. I might qualify as I'm a single dad. Anyway, I have been involved with sports all my life, was a pro tennis player until age 30, and have met and dealt with all kinds of parents. What I really like about all the dirt bike parents that I've met so far is the emphasis that they place on FUN when it comes to riding. Too many parents, in other sports, are out there are driving their kids to excel to the point that it stops becoming fun.

With two boys, an 8 year old that just started and a 3 that can't wait, I'm looking forward to years of family fun on our dirt bikes.

Thanks again for this site and fun threads like these :)

Stretch

#3174 - 08/16/01 03:06 PM Re: Well meaning friends [Re: snakecharmer]
Happyman Offline

Loc: Texas
Well, I'm Mr. Mom myself, and am planning on purchasing a bike for my 5 year old this Christmas, IF he gets a good report from school. (hehe, I love bribery) But, I personally have not riden in a few years and don't feel qualified to teach him how to ride safely. I know about the "schools" of riding put on by some manufacturers, but how well do they teach kids that you can hardly get to listen to you? This is the only factor detouring me from getting him into the sport. But, I agree with everyone else above, kids are going to get hurt. It's a fact of life that we as parents have to deal with, but riding together with your kids allows you to make sure that their protective equipment is worn, make sure that they ride well within their abilities, and be there when they do get hurt. Like someone said before kids ride off on there bicycles, skateboards, scooter, and etc. to friends houses or just around the neighborhood and you aren't around to supervise them. How do you stop injuries from happening then? How about at the playground at school? How do you stop little Jimmy from falling off the jungle gym? You can't, and there will be little or no supervison in these instances to help them out or stop it from happening. My point is that you don't just turn your kid loose on a motorcycle you watch them and coach them, because you know what dangers are being faced and how to avoid them as much as possible. Like I said, I'm planning on getting my boy (Tylar) a bike for Christmas (I need one too. To coach of course.) and I plan on attending classes of some sort with him so we can both learn together. And I can't think of a better way to spend time with my son than many weekend of trail riding and camping.

#3175 - 08/16/01 11:56 PM Re: Well meaning friends [Re: Happyman]
ODEI Offline
TON Member

Loc: Waco
Happyman, you are on the right path. I ride with both of my sons and taught them to ride. There is nothing more joyfull and fullfilling than watching your son ride to his fullest. Last year Sean my son rode his tail off and did wellin the TCHSS series. Most of all we did it together. One thing I instilled in his mind most of all no matter what have fun. I can't stress the have fun enough. Riding and racing is all about having fun. I had to move out of Texas so I can't help you with teaching your son how to ride. Unless I move back, which I am working on. Check out the for sale fourm Patman has a KTM 50 pro jounior for sale. This would be a great choice. It is mild enough to start with and good wnough to race. If you need some pointers on how to slow it down e-mail me and I will tell you. Most important get something that will start evertime. It is very discoureaging to have a poor runing bike. I can tell you one thing. Last season was the funnest time racing I had ever had simply because me and my son did it together. Hopfully I will get to meet you and your son I am not anything special of even close to being fast, I am just a Dad how loves to spend quality time with his son's

Odei
Pete Odegaard

#3176 - 08/12/02 05:41 PM Re: Well meaning friends [Re: ODEI]
walton4 Offline

Loc: Dallas, Texas
As a newbee here, I thought I'd put in my 2 cents worth. In Feberuary of this year after much arm twisting by my son's and daughter I bought 4 ATV's for the family. A Big Bear, 2 Bear Trackers and a Raptor 80. If I had known how much this would have changed my relationship with them and my wife I WOULD HAVE BOUGHT THEM MONTHS BEFORE!!!!!!!! We are doing things together as a family now. They look foward to going off on the weekends to ride and be together, are very helpfull in getting ready to go, knowing that to have a good time certain thngs must be done. During the week we clean up from the last trip and get ready for the next. It has been easer to get them away from the TV, Telephones,and internet chat. They are learing skills on how to take care of the ATV's. From reparing what they broke last trip, too making sure that things are in order for the next. Their physical dexterity and balance has improved, Their judgement skills have sharpened and their school work improved. Home work and grades come before riding. My wife has even gotten into it with them and has accually gone riding some. All 5 of us went thru the ATV institute safty training and had a great time. Purchasing this was tough on my wife as she lost her brother ( 1982) on a motercycle when he was 20, He was riding with out a helment. Rule number one is no riding with out a helment! My oldest son (13) though he could get away with it and wound up seating under the trees for a day and a half for violating the rules. Neadless to say it set a president for the other two and we have not had any violations since. I think this is a wonderful activity for the whole family. Just wish it had happened sooner.

#3177 - 08/12/02 08:53 PM Re: Well meaning friends [Re: walton4]
samiam Offline
Veteran Lunatic

Loc: Lockhart, TX
I just started riding last July and have loved it since the first time I got on a bike. My husband has been my biggest support along with some of my friends. Our parents are a different story. My husband and my daughter just got their bikes 3 weeks ago. We went back and forth on buying one for our daughter. She is 6 going on 7 in November and loves going places with us, especially the theme parks to ride the roller coasters. (She will ride anything that flips, twists and turns). After going to a couple of races and family days and seeing how many families are involved in this sport and how everyone watches out for the little ones, we decided to buy her a bike. She has been riding for 2 weeks around the house and just loves it. She will put everything else down to be able to ride. We are teaching her how to take care of her bike and her gear and she knows she doesnt ride without her helmet, pads, and boots, and she is not allowed to ride without us out there with her. We have been really nervouse about letting family know she has a bike because we dont want to hear how dangerous it is. She was involved in gymnastics and could just as easily fallen off the beam or bars and broken something. Since my dad used to ride trials and started about the same age I am now, he has no problem with us riding. He actually thinks its wonderful that we are doing this, especially as a family. My inlaws will be a different thing all together. They are the ones we will have to break it to gently. As for our friends, we have gotten mixed reactions but nothing too terribly bad. They know how much I enjoy it and also that we will teach her the safe way to ride and set rules and guidelines for her. I, personally dont see anything wrong with parents who support their kids in what they want to do. The important thing here is that the parents are involved with their kids. I know this is going to bring our little family closer together and give us something to do that all of us like.
sami
W9

#3178 - 08/19/02 12:31 AM Re: Well meaning friends [Re: samiam]
Anonymous
Unregistered

Well... interesting.. allow me to offer a different view...

I started (years ago) riding "go-fast" dirtbikes.. at the same time, I started my children on the bikes... we were having a wonderful time... we started to meet families who rode also... several with children who had been injured, or parents injured. I didn't think much of it... but as the numbers grew and I saw the children in casts I began to wonder.. next thing you know I take a bad fall on the backside of a table at Lakeside that nearly broke my back, I began to wonder if it was worth it.. It was a struggle; I loved riding.. my boy was jumping 40 ft. on his Cobra... he was 8.. One time he landed bad and went TUMBLING... like a rag doll... I thought for sure this was "our turn" in the injury dept.. But, thank GOD he was just scratched up... I began to wonder more... It was just a matter of time before one of us broke something... THEN came TRIALS! With trials, I could have my cake and eat it too... dirtbike riding with much lower risk... lower speeds, no worries of being run over, great family atmosphere, State Series, everything! My boy, now 10, rides trials, and 2 of my 5 daughters ride trials. We ride together, practice together, it is awesome... still "risk" involved, but much less... Here is a "indicator" of the risk; when we hold competitions, we don't have to have an ambulance on site One more relief since finding trials; I am 40 years old, my neighbor is 65 and still riding trials.. up hills and over logs you wouldn't believe! Trials is something you can do for a long time... so some of you guys/gals that are getting a little older and are not twisting the wrist like you once did, you might consider trials.. it is thrilling; you get a great sense of accomplishment as you "clean" bigger and more technical obstacles...

Now, don't get me wrong, I love the fast riding... even now.. it's just that FOR ME I found all the benefits of OFF ROAD riding (thrill, family, friends, bonding w/kids, motor between my legs, etc) in OBSERVED TRIALS.... and it just so happens that Trials presents WAY less risk than MX/ENDURO/HARE SCRAMBLE/STREET riding.... Still, i understand, to each his own..

Thank you for allowing me to share my thoughts!

#3179 - 09/29/02 12:34 PM Re: Well meaning friends [Re: snakecharmer]
BlazingMX Offline
Gang Member

Loc: Robinson TX
I guess I fall in with Snakecharmer as a Mr Mom, I'm a single parent of an 11 year old girl that rides. Every since the 2 of us started riding, the past couple of years, I caught some serious flak especially at work. "How can you let a little girl participate in such an activity that's for boys?" This school year they were having cheerleading signups and my daughter wanted to do that too. Once again I was encouraged to get my precious little girl in a more "feminine" activity so she is now a cheerleader that rides dirt bikes. When it comes time for the 1st game my little baby gets her front tooth knocked out and it happened while cheerleading, not riding dirtbikes!
Just goes to show that you never can tell when accidents are gonna happen and it really matter what you're doing when they happen.

ps, I got the tooth fixed.

#3180 - 09/29/02 09:34 PM Re: Well meaning friends [Re: jody2ms]
Fender_Bender Offline
Veteran Lunatic

Loc: Hamilton, Tx

Jody and all you others:
First of all lets get back to the real question.

Anyone out there getting harrassed by non-riding "friends"..............................

I think the key words are: harrassed.. and friends....
What kind of friend would harrass a friend. Ask a question about the riding OK but I'd draw
the line at anything other than that. I don't beat around the bush with my friends or anyone
for that mater. Harrasse me and I'll be nice once and only once after that your fare game.
I've told so called friends that sticking your noise over the fence into my yard may not be
the thing to do. People have lost things putting them over here. Make no bones about it,
tell them the way you fell. Thay can show some concern but, that it. Mind your own kids.
This is the fastest way to run me HOT. I DO NOT need friends that try or want to tell me
how to raise my son. He isn't your and neather I'm I.
Now: These friends are the same ones that let 16 year old jr take the car on friday night
and never check up to see if what he or she said is true (you know were did you go).
OH!! we just went around town, with 200 mi on the car YA right.
Don't get me wrong. I'll take care of my friends the best I can. But I don't stick my noise
were it doesn't need to be. If I'm asked, I may tell, depends. I may go to the kid first. ( this must be a good friend)

Insulating your kids: I don't belive in it. My mom wouldn't let me do anything the other kids did
for a long time. So I just went and did it anyways. She let go about the time I turned 13. I stoped
sneaking around.
TCHSS has been the best thing to happen to our family in a long time. We have made some of
the best friends here. I for sure: will make some more.
Don't let your friends or family pull your family away from ours here with TCHSS. Your alway welcome.

Sheldon
TORCS.....153

#3181 - 09/29/02 11:19 PM Re: Well meaning friends [Re: Fender_Bender]
Gumby Offline
TheGreenGuy

Loc: Pflugerville
Got my 8 yr old daughter riding recently . . . . . . and I have had no flack from anyone NOW that she rides. She watched my son and I load up bikes and leave for tracks many times . . . . and one day asked if she could have a bike (she couldn't ride a bicycle at that point). I told her if she could learn to ride a bicycle, I'd get her a scoot. In a couple days I was looking for a scoot for her because she figured out a bicycle ASAP.

I guess what I want to say is that the only critisism I got was for taking the boy and not the girl. This is an equal opportunity sport - and I failed to see it that way. Her birthday is 09/30 and she wanted new gear. We went to Woods Fun Center and got new boots, gloves, helmet, goggles, jersey, pants, knee/shin gaurds, etc. . . . . the works!!!!
Boy or girl - if they want to ride - let them. Train them well, get them proper gear, and ignore anyone that thinks a kid shouldn't ride a dirtbike.

#3182 - 09/30/02 04:19 AM Re: Well meaning friends [Re: Gumby]
LacyJones Offline
TON Member

Loc: North East
Well Now!
This is such an interesting topic!!!
I am Not a Mom or Dad though!!! sorry ...... BUT I do have opinions and validation for your concerns!

This is coming from a kid that grew up riding and still does, 21 years later.
Riding was a family event (we fished and did lots of other things too but riding has been great). We were in the woods almost every weekend. This kept us (my sister and I) out of trouble and bad crowds in school and taught us a TON. Responsibility and respect for yourself, your actions, the environment and others. I tell people all the time that I would not trade how I grew up for anything. Most of the people that I get opposition from are the same people that have no clue about motorcycles. They are in the same category as the doctor I "had" that told me that riding motorcycles was not exercise! I could have choked her! But I didn't! Just didn't go back! But there will be those people. It's a to each his/her own thing. I try to help enlighten and educate people about motorcycles whenever I can. It mostly comes from ignorance. We are all people with flaws and bias' based on something or other. Just try to be the best role model you can and be respectable when on a bike so people don't get the wrong impression like the kids on the Hondas from above that were running through the campground. That is uncalled for. My father would have Skinned us for that!!!!! Definitely wouldn't be riding for a While!!!!
There is definitely an element of danger with riding/driving ANY motorized vehicle. There needs to be respect for the vehicle/bike First! Along with a proper education on/in it. Some people are not cut out for riding that's a fact...just like anything. But almost anyone can learn! We all learned how to drive a car right? Isn't that just as dangerous or even more??? There are not nearly that many other riders to crash into us or cause a crash as our everyday driving! But the people that criticize you about your kids Never think of things that way!!!!
I agree with whoever said (sorry I don't remember up there) that there are differing levels of danger with riding. The different styles and formats have their own sets of pitfalls and plusses. I grew up riding in the woods, trail riding and enduros. Pretty safe. I have never broken anything that can be proven! I raced Hare Scrambles and now Trials. Motocross isn't on the list. Personally I believe that that is the most dangerous form of off road riding, just due to the fact that you are in such close proximity to other riders and its a much more heated event overall. All of the Pro riders have broken something!! They are PROS, that should tell you something. Trials is much slower and there's no threat of anyone jumping on you because you are the only one in a section at a time. Hare Scrambles more dangerous than enduros. Its about speed also and what a rider is capable of at his/her particular skill level. USE COMMON SENSE!
I am at a stopping point here, don't know what else to say really, except to use common sense and be safe...teach and be firm with discipline...not being crazy and riding through camp etc..... There are SO many GREAT people that ride (the Majority!). I have made all sorts of friends and like I said earlier, wouldn't trade it for anything!
Good Luck !!!!

Lacy Jones

#3183 - 09/30/02 08:19 PM Re: Well meaning friends [Re: LacyJones]
jimeckroat Offline
Gang Member

Loc: McAllen, Texas
Has anyone else noticed that many of the people preaching against motorcycles are the same people that let thier kids ride a 1,500 pound animal that has a mind of it own (a horse).

Jim

#3184 - 10/01/02 02:22 AM Re: Well meaning friends [Re: jimeckroat]
slik24 Offline
Gang Daddy

Loc: rosharon, tx
not a mom or dad, but a son and brother so figured id jump in. my brother is a professional rodeo cowboy as was my dad, i am the black sheep that lives on a farm and rides his blue beast thru the woods scaring the cows. you really dont want me to list ALL of the broken bones my dad and brother have had, or the fact that my brother permanantly walks with a limp beacause of jumping off of horses while chasing cows!! all sports are dangerous, in my opinion, lacy has put the best post on this board in awhile, knowledge is the best brace a person can have in WHATEVER they do. well thats my 2 pennies L8R!

c ya-casey t. #A60
2006 YZ250 smoker *mine*
2007 crf150R *hers*
www.texas-yamaha.com
WILL RACE FOR OTTER POPS

#3185 - 10/01/02 05:38 PM Re: Well meaning friends [Re: jimeckroat]
jbooth2099 Offline
Veteran Lunatic

Loc: Tomball,TX
I agree with you when it comes to the horse thing, but the wife would argue that one to the death. We frequently compare the two. I just bought her a horse this past Saturday night. I am afraid of them, but will ride my bike through anything. We have 6 kids. Half of them race, half of them ride the horses. 2 of them do both.

Reality for us is simple. We get involved with the kids and their interests. Some are more dangerous than others. Dirtbikes have made our (Brady Bunch) family closer and I wouldn't change that. The skills and sportsmanship that they have learned from dirtbiking have been worth the risks we take.

I'll trade watching them bang handlebars or put ice on a sore foot (horse stepped on my daughter) any day against seeing them turn into vegetables in front of a TV or video game any day.

#3186 - 10/02/02 02:32 AM Re: Well meaning friends [Re: jbooth2099]
Chris Offline
Veteran Lunatic

Loc: Salado, TX
I thought that I would make a post as a mom and a child that grew up riding. Riding motorcycles taught me responsiblity and kept me out of so much trouble. It kept me focused on grades and chores. Sure as with anything else- I had injuries- but I also had a bike, skateboard and two left feet. I feel that motorcycles have even taught me to be a better driver. If and when Kirby ever decides to ride- great- as far as the comments about it being a boy sport- girls can do anything and the fact that there are more boys than girls- great- how do you think I met Lynn. Seriously- TRH and TCHSS now AMA district 20 have provided me with so many wonderful friends and a true family. We stick together more than any other sports groups. I know- we have been into softball and dance and gymnastics. If you show these "friends" the positives of our sport- how can they object. Gee- keeps families together and kids out of trouble- there are worse things out there- Motorcycling is not one of them!!!!
Chris
W10

#3187 - 10/03/02 05:33 AM Re: Well meaning friends [Re: Chris]
Tominator Offline
Poet At Large

I'll take it a step past friends, and mention family. My ex-wife's family never understood the fun my boys and I have shared on the bikes. They constantly ridiculed the boys for riding, and me for letting them. When I was hospitalized, they never came to visit, only kept telling Josh that I was lucky to be alive, and we should all quit immediately. They actually drove a stake between the children (and son-in-law) they loved, and themselves. Their other grandkids have been in and out of jail, on drugs, teenage alcoholics, etc, because their parents didn't care what they did, and never spent time with them. A complete family was torn apart by their resistance to understand the bonding and responsibilities we all share. Sadly for them, it was their loss.

I did mention EX wife, didn't I? Go figure.....

Tom Bailey
Team BFD
KTM 5-sumthin

#3188 - 10/03/02 07:25 PM Re: Well meaning friends [Re: Tominator]
dirt4fun Offline
TON Member

My 8 year old son has been racing MX for about 2 years. Our family and friends thought we were absolutely crazy letting him race. At first, I thought I was crazy for agreeing to let him race. They really thought we lost our minds when mom & dad starting riding with him. We were spending so much time at the track we decided to get bikes to ride with him. People really thought it was crazy when I started riding with him. Never did I imagine how much fun I would have and how my son would think it was so great having mom ride with him. There is never a practice we go to that we don't have to have a mom & son race-of course I always lose!!!! His sister has also started riding at this point. Our family & friends stopped making so many comments about our sport after seeing how much time we spend together as a family. Grandma & Grandpa still get nervous when we leave, but as soon as we get home, they have to know how he did at the race and he runs to show them his tropies. They also come to watch when they can. The kids teachers are also supportive. They said they can tell which students have parents that actually spend time with them. We took our son out of school one Friday to race. The teacher didn't mind and thought is was great!

Now, about a month ago, my husband had (another) wreck coming up short on a jump and broke his leg. He had surgery and had a rod put in. You could tell my parents really wanted to make comments about us riding, but they never said a word to me. This brought up their concerns about their grandson riding again. I don't think they are as worried about us. They asked my husband if he learned anything and he said yes, I need to give it more gas and that was the end of the subject. We all love this sport and know it can be dangerous. If all of the family and friends that make comments would come out to the tracks and see the great family atmosphere and fun we have-they might have a different opinion.

#3189 - 10/10/02 04:30 PM Re: Well meaning friends [Re: dirt4fun]
Chris Offline
Veteran Lunatic

We have tried to get Kirby to ride for years and she has no interest in it. Over the weekend at the Nixon race, she closelined herself on a friend's trailer. Injuries can happen any where. Riding is just as dangerous as everything else. That's why they are called accidents.

#3190 - 10/10/02 11:33 PM Re: Well meaning friends [Re: Chris]
RockHopper Offline
CTTA President

Loc: www.austintrials.com
---"Riding is just as dangerous as everything else"---

Whoa... I think most would agree that this is not the case. Certainly riding IS more dangerous than many other activities and sports.. I think what most are saying in this thread is the benefit of family bonding and "friend building" is worth the risk of injury to themselves and their children...

#3191 - 10/11/02 12:16 AM Re: Well meaning friends [Re: RockHopper]
Chris Offline
Veteran Lunatic

Okay- to a klutzy dingy blonde, which Kirby and I both are- everything is dangerous. But yes- you always have to weigh the risks in proportion to the benefits. That is what I was trying to say. It just didn't come out right.

#3192 - 10/11/02 01:47 PM Re: Well meaning friends [Re: Gumby]
ardfarkl Offline
Veteran Lunatic

Loc: Usually on here.
Do you ever here the "You were different" theory. I have been looking for a bike for my 4 1/2 year old daughter for a month or so. Not hard core looking, but keeping my eye out. Grief is coming from all directions. When I say I had my first one at 4,. "Well, you were different"..

?????

My mom hung me on a hook once...ONCE!!

#3193 - 12/16/02 07:10 PM Re: Well meaning friends [Re: ardfarkl]
mbooth Offline
Gang Member

Loc: Tomball, TX
I know I am a day late and a dollar short, but I just found this thread and I love it and feel the need to reinforce pretty much what everyone on here has said. I am probably too protective of my "brady bunch" family, but it is done with much love. I was extremely aprehensive about getting the motorcycles, and used to camp out by the ambulance waiting til all my crew came back in in one piece. Most of the time they did and all was well. My husband has been hurt several times, but has bounced back really fast and was right back on the bike. Last year, John, our 2 sons and one daughter raced. This year, we have one more daughter joining the mix! I am so very proud of all of them. I don't do motorcycles (I'm the horse lady) but now that we are involved in the sport, I wouldn't change a thing (except maybe the injuries). We have all gotten so much closer and really look forward to our weekend outings. Now, I am involved with the hair scramble series up to my eyebrows and am having a great time. We have made so many new friends and I for one feel like an extended family! It is a great way to spend time away from the house and with friends and family.

Thanks for letting me speak my 2 cents.

Mary Booth

#3194 - 05/07/03 02:15 AM Re: Well meaning friends [Re: jody2ms]
Anonymous
Unregistered

Tell your friends that you are letting your children experience life the way your child wants to.
I am a veteran race mom and have had so many memorable moments and photos of my two boys racing. My most memorable photo was when my 5 year old was on the way home passed out clutching his first trophy. To this day my 5 year old now 22 is still enjoying the sport.

momster

#3195 - 05/20/03 08:10 PM Re: Well meaning friends [Re: Bobby]
LOIS Offline
Gang Member

Loc: Austin, TX
Would you post that how to for kids. Or email me. I would love to know more. I am very interested in getting my 6yr old son involved. This weekend he sat on a PW50 and was so excited he wanted to drive it off. I would also like to know more about these playdays that have been talked about.
Lead Me Not Into Temptation, I Can Find It Myself! #344 aka "Crator Creator"'s wife #314's mom and always chasing my 2 little tornados Cole and Lukas!!!!!!

#3196 - 05/22/03 02:37 PM Re: Well meaning friends [Re: jody2ms]
MotoVated758 Offline
Gang Boss

Loc: Pflugerville, TX
This is such a great thread, I thought I'd throw in a tidbit. My son got his first bike last October, Prior to that, he had ridden a few of his buddies' XR70's, and KTM 50's. He had been asking for a dirtbike since he was around 6 or 8 (just turned 12). I rode trails in my younger days, and still ride street, so when the finances were right, and before he got too old, I bought him his first bike, a KLX125. I figured this was a better bike to learn to use a clutch than a 85 two stroke. Well, after 3 months of riding every weekend out at CrossCreek, he had gotten about as much as he could out of that ol' four stroke. He wanted to race in the 85 class, and the thumper was just a bit low on power. We got his KX85 in January, and he raced the Suzuki series at CrossCreek in the beginner class.

Now, what's great is the whole family has become involved with the tracks, and racing. We've started camping at the races, and both my daugher, who is 15, and my wife have really gotten into the sport (mainly as spectators so far). I just acquired an ATV so my wife and daughter would have something to do, as they're not into bikes as of yet. My wife has never been into motorcycles, but gave the 4 wheeler a try at the last race. I think she had a good time. I never thought my wife would be real keen on the idea of the boy riding mx and racing, but she really has become one of his best fans. Even after a race where he rode somewhat under his capabilities, she informed him that she knows he can ride much better than that. He just seemed somewhat disinterested that day.

Mom is so proud of what her son has accomplished in the last few months. I'm really tickled that she has become so supportive of the boy's riding, and the sport in general. She even emailed his picture (see attached) of one of the races to all her friends. Most of the replys were like "O'my Gosh, you let your son do that". A couple of them said "we were thinking about getting little ------- a dirtbike, but now I'm not so sure. I don't think I could stand him doing that". Hey, this is a GOOD picture....the bike is HORIZONTAL to the jump....you should of seen him when the bike was about perfectly vertical, and the landing wasn't pretty.

Anyway, we are starting to meet a lot of nice folks at the races, and through the campouts. I'm just glad we found something we can all do together before my daughter goes off to college. We never really had an activity in the past we could all get excited about. This is just the greatest thing yet. Yes, we do worry somewhat about the dangers, but then, as we're sitting out at the track, enjoying the outdoors, and spending time together, those thoughts give way to the pure fun, excitement, and enjoyment we experience almost every weekend now. My only regret is not having started this earlier.

Attachments
103196-whiteflag.jpg (93 downloads)

#3197 - 12/09/03 02:51 PM Re: Well meaning friends [Re: jody2ms]
mx426 Offline

I have encountered members of my own family that question my decision to let my oldest (8) ride. My own mother, who by the way would not let me ride when I was younger, has given me a lot of grief in the past. However, she has seen a difference in the way WE act as a family lately and has even appologized for being so hasty. There are far worse things your kids could be doing on a Saturday than being with the family having fun riding together. Plus, just like any sport, there are risks as well as accomplishment. I figure if my 8 year old can set a goal to clear that tabletop or snake that one trail that has intimidated him for some time, he is well on his way to having self discipline and control that so mant lack these days. Just my .02 worth. Thanks for your time.

#3198 - 04/05/05 04:11 AM Re: Well meaning friends [Re: jody2ms]
40plus_daddy Offline
TON Member

Loc: Austin Texas
As a Dad I can say many friends of mine "question" my sanity when my kids do "extreme" sports. I have riden Mx since I was 10, never a broke bone or trip to the hospital. My kids ride too. 13,8 and soon my 2 1/2 year old. What I have learned is it's how you do it as much as what you do. Always safety gear, and I mean ALL of it. Even that test ride in the back yard !! Kevlar pants, pads, elbow & shin protectors, full face helmet, gloves chest protector, sounds expensive, but cheaper than a trip to the hospital. Get the stuff used, find a rider or two just bigger than your kid and up grade when they do. you will get most of your money back when you sell your stuff to a parent of a rider or two just smaller than your kid. Also teach your kids to ride properly !! Just ask,any parent or older rider, everyone is usually glad to lend a hand. Keep a first aid kit in the car, never used on my kids but have saved many motorists in wrecks.
Next, serious MX kids are usually good kids, keep the grades up, no drugs, no kidding. When the pot head kids want your kid to get high, it will not seem nearly as exciting as racing/riding. Besides the MX'ers are the kool kids. Track or open riding is much safer than around the house(too many hard sharp things to run into or fall on) Racing , will that depends on the kid, Most kids have a healthy respect or fear of what the bike can do, make sure your kids do too.
My kids would ride bikes some day, I knew it when they started jumping ramps at 3 1/2 yrs. I don't want my kids learning to ride, and yes fall when they are 18, on the road, with a sport bike and no safety gear. Those kids are called "organ doners". Expect your kid to WANT to come home from college and ride with you!! There are many other more dangerous things than riding. Mark
YZ 250 Stock, all I need to whip you boys.
Cr 250
Dt 175
Yz 80
Kx 65 X3
Kx 80
Jr 50
'87 FZX Fazer 700
'86 Venture Royale X 2
'92 Nighthawk 250
'96 suzuki GN 125
'90 Vulcan 500
Isuzu Trooper X 3

#3199 - 04/06/05 02:42 AM Re: Well meaning friends [Re: 40plus_daddy]
liss Offline
Gang Mom

Loc: LOVING,TEXAS
Yep I've been there with the whole "are you out of your mind putting that baby on a dirt bike " even though that baby is 5 years old! The bad thing is that her kid got hit in the head with a bat playing baseball and she is telling me my kid on a jr50 with a helmet,chest protecter,boots goggles gloves, elbow and knee pads is dangerous huh seems to me like there all dangerous to a point.I've seen people put 2 year olds on horses that at anytime can bolt without any saftey gear...Don't get me wrong I love rodeo too my daughter does both bikes and rodeo...But I sure feel alot better when she is on a bike vs. a horse. I rode horses all my life and just started riding a dirt bike a just race my first c/c race and I can tell you that bike never once ran off with me..lol kinda bucked a couple of times...anyway I will quit rambleing and tell you that this is the most family fun we have had the kids and now us racing TORO and TCCRA has been a blast and I don't see us stopping anytime soon..So tell them to raise thiers and you will raise yours and see what's going on when they are 18..prob be out with mom and dad riding and having a blast!

Sponsor:
Week's Muffler Bearings and Powerbands

Mom of:
Kate 815 R
Buddy 15 lb
many many others I claim
Grandma of:
Josie..future pro #15

#3200 - 03/08/06 06:57 PM Re: Well meaning friends [Re: liss]
4JS Offline

Loc: New Mexico

This is a good topic, and one that I can relate to.

I was involved in a horrific car accident in December of 2002. Our boys at the time were 14 and 11. They are now 17 and 14. They had never been on a motorcycle, but less than a month after my accident a "friend" decided to take them out on his. Just to keep their minds off Mom, and all my broken bones. The boys loved it, Dad loved it, and what could I say. I was in a nursing home trying to get better. I did not care for motorcycles, as I had a accident on a dirt bike when I was 9, and ended up in the hospital for a couple of week.

As I got better, I realized that I was not going to stop driving a car, or riding in a car just because of an accident. I could not live life in fear. Dad promised me that the boys would just desert ride, no racing. We went to a race in New Mexico just as spectators. I was so thrilled, and excited, I asked the boys if they wanted to try it. They did not miss a beat when they said yes.

We bought them motorcycles that they could race, and they started in November of 2003 with their first race. Now just two years later, the oldest is racing the 250C class, will move up to the B class this fall, and the youngest is racing the 125C class.

Have they gotten hurt, sure...The oldest has suffered a broken foot, and a broken arm. The youngest just got over a broken foot in February. Here is the lesson; the youngest decided after the broken foot he was not going to race for a while, he wanted to play Baseball. He had to sit out the Basketball season because of the foot injury. So, we supported his decision, and low and behold on March 1st, he breaks his wrist at school playing wall ball. Just goes to show anything can happen to anyone, any place. Motorcycles are as dangerous as playing wall ball! Just ask my 14 year old, he will tell you, but it was extreme wall ball we were playing.

This sport has been a joy to us from the day we started, which was not long ago. It took a major event in my life for me to realize that life itself is dangerous, live it for today, because tomorrow you may not be around to enjoy it anyways!

Peace out!

Julie

#3201 - 03/10/06 09:47 PM Re: Well meaning friends [Re: 4JS]
ktmlance Offline
Gang Veteran

Loc: Watauga, TX
My father raised us racing dirt bikes. I rode several family enduros on the front of my fathers bike and he made straps for my feet so I could stand up and absorb the bumps. I finished every race asleep on the gas tank.

I have now graduated college, have kids, and a house and I still ride enduros with my Dad, ususally on the same row. Most of my friends may see their parents a couple time a year, christmas, thanksgiving, during the summer. I get to race and ride with my father almost every time I get on a bike.

My brother is at school at Texas Tech, my other Brother is an accountant in Houston, My father and I live in DFW. We all meet up in east TX or at the TSCEC enduros around the state to ride. It is very cool to Race with a Row of Kings and at sidewinders my Dad finished, Lyndon got 3rd 200a, I well I got 1St 200A. Pretty Cool.

My son Hayden is getting pretty good on his pw50, he is 3 1/2. I look forward to Hayden being able to race with his Dad, uncles, and Grandfather all together on the same row.

Pretty cool stuff. Yall are right you can get hurt playing soccer, basketball, etc... But can you play baseball with 3 generations on the same team?

Lance King

#3202 - 03/15/06 09:46 PM Re: Well meaning friends [Re: ktmlance]
RockHopper Offline
CTTA President

For the sake of credibility I think we should be intellectually honest. So, at the risk of upsetting:

I am reading a lot of comments that say basically, "you can get hurt crossing the street, so ride your bikes to your heart's content!"

You should know that I have a lot of dirt bikes (near 20).. I am not bashing our sport. But our sport IS dangerous! It is more "risky" than basketball, baseball, wall ball, and crossing the street. Beginners should know that if you are going to bring your young child into this sport there is a pretty good chance he or she will end up with broken bones along the way... maybe more than once.. and some of the injuries can be severe and cause permanent disabilities... That's the way it is..

This sport has it's rewards and risks... They don't "match" those of others.. The risks our higher than most other common childhood sports... The rewards can be argued are higher also.. It is a "risk/benefit analysis" that every family has to make.. But it must be one that honestly recognizes the weight of the risks.. To say that "you can get hurt walking down the street" is not giving a true depiction of the risks involved... Especially when trying to convey to those that are considering whether of not they should "sign up" their child for a broken arm or two..

#3203 - 03/16/06 07:05 AM Re: Well meaning friends [Re: RockHopper]
liss Offline
Gang Mom

Loc: LOVING,TEXAS
I agree Dirt bike's are a very risky sport. It is not if you will get hurt but when. Yes on a day to day basis it is more dangerous than Baseball ect. I think what most of us are trying to say is that there are risk in all sports, well life in general. When I was compairing bikes to rodeo I was very serious. I've been there done that. I also was one of those little kids on horseback and I also got hurt as a child as well as an adult.
My kids have shown a huge intrest in dirt bikes. I know at anytime that they can be seriously injured. As a parent you have to weigh the whole risk benifit thing.
Now asks me how I feel about it in 5 years or so lol.
I wish everyone good luck and safety in this sport!

Sponsor:
Week's Muffler Bearings and Powerbands

Mom of:
Kate 815 R
Buddy 15 lb
many many others I claim
Grandma of:
Josie..future pro #15

#3204 - 03/16/06 03:12 PM Re: Well meaning friends [Re: liss]
ktmlance Offline
Gang Veteran

Loc: Watauga, TX
It is not a given that you will get broken bones riding a dirt bike. My brothers and myself are 21, 24, and 26 and only my youngest brother has broken a bone. We all race enduros and have ridden since we were 4-5. My father told us from the begining not to ride over our heads, that is when you get hurt.

My father has ridden/raced harescrambles, and enduros since the 70's and he has discloated a shoulder, torn his acl and I think cracked a few ribs. I think the ribs was a result of my dad's friend wheeling into his back when he stopped at a fence line. (most older guys who play basketball have torn ACL's and had knee problems).

I would say the risk for getting killed riding/racing is much higher than playing basketball but you are the one twisting the throttle, it is about fun, ride within you limits and teach your kids to ride within their limits and you DON'T HAVE TO GET HURT!

Also all you motorcross guys who keep breaking bones, try an enduro. You race against the clock and people will actually move over and let you pass. Seems quite a bit safer to me.

I rode concho and felt out of sorts in the rocks all day last weekend, so I slowed down. I did not crash all day long, I did not get a trophy either but my bike and I came home in one peice, it was still way more fun than sitting on the couch.

No peice of plastic or wood is worth getting hurt. When you are on your game gas it and when your are not slow down.

Lance King

#3205 - 03/29/06 05:40 AM Re: Well meaning friends [Re: jody2ms]
tmtex Offline
Gang Member

Loc: Garland, Texas
My son who is 7 races the 50 class. He's been riding 3 yrs, racing for 2. He had 1 hard crash about 1.5 yrs ago and one last weekend. He's ridden this track a 100 times, never had a issue. Last weekend on his first practice lap he endod or cased a jump. He say there was a hole on the other side. Anyway, he went over the bars. He and the bike flipped numerous times. He came out with a road rash from the back tire on his chest.(had chest protector on) I looked at his helmet and then started to think back of the fall.
He land straight oh top of his head. HARD. In think if he didnt have the neck roll he would be in real serious trouble. I dont push him to be #1 but I alway say just cruise the track and have fun. Within the last couple weeks, I've seen more 50 riders hurt BAD which is something I've never seen before. Yea there maybe a broken arm here and there but where we go its been alot worse.

I am actually thinking of stopping all the racing stuff and getting them back into play/trail ridding if thats even possible. If not get rid of them all.

#3206 - 03/29/06 05:29 PM Re: Well meaning friends [Re: tmtex]
RockHopper Offline
CTTA President

TMTEX,
There are many "forms" of motorcycling.. and each have their level of risk..

Before you "toss" the idea of off-road motorcylcing out the window you should consider the sport of observed trials.

I am a "former-motocrosser-turned-trials-rider." I enjoyed MX immensely, and still love it, but as you, I saw the rash of injuries, even to persons who were riding well within their skill set. It is simple physics; the faster you go, the higher the risk and severity of injury.. Also, competition brings out the "competitiveness" in individuals, and when you have several bikes in a small area, that creates additional risk.. You, as a rider, can be doing everything "right" and the rider in front of you can go down... or the rider in the rear can bump you... down you go... if you are at speed, that could mean your day is over... and weeks of re-hab..

About 6 years ago I discovered Observed Trials. It is truly the best kept secret in off-road motorcycling. The sport "looks" dangerous when you consider what some of the expert riders can do on the bigger obstacles, but because of the very slow speeds involved the injury rate is minimal.. extremely minimal.. I have been competing in the Texas State Series of Observed Trials for 6 years and only ONE rider during that time has required a ride to the hospital. That is ONE rider in 6 years of competition! I was at Rio Bravo last weekend and two MX riders required an ambulance in ONE DAY.. Severe injuries in obsserved trials are extremely rare. ..again, slow speeds.. and only one person rides in a 'section' at a time.. The competition is the terrain. You ride the terrain, one rider at a time.. ONLY your errors can cause you to get hurt..

Don't get me wrong, I still love riding other bikes and still have a BUNCH of them.. (over 20 off-road vehicles).. I just spend most of my time on a trials bike.. going slow and challenging my abiltity to manipulate my bike through obstacles and difficult terrain.. it is most rewarding.. Do yourself a favor and check it out.. You may find, like many other 'go-fasters' have found, that observed trials really is as rewarding as going fast but with a much lower level of risk..

Click on the "learn about trials" link below for a fun read about the sport of trials.

Wesley Brace
---------
"Once you ride a trials bike, throwing your leg over anything else is like riding a refrigerator."
- quote by Chris Johnson

#3207 - 04/10/06 12:33 AM Re: Well meaning friends [Re: samiam]
deemit60 Offline
Gang Veteran

Loc: Garland, TX
Heck - have to throw my 2 cents in....My parents got all three of their kids into racing/riding dirt bikes back in the late 70's - they thought it would keep us out of trouble Didn't work that way, but hey look at the generation!! hahhahaa
Anyway - I never got hurt riding with the guys or the women, but only sprained my ankle while messing around. Now, my brother was the one to get hurt - mostly collar bone. It was always a "possiblitly" that my parents took into consideration.

Today - I have my son racing and I LOVE it!! He knows that I won't punish him by telling him that he can't race the wkend because he knows that I LOVE going to the races. I have been so surprised at how many people that know me from "back then" and surprised at how many people that I have met thru mx-racing. So many that I started a Ladies Open class at our local mx track - well, I didn't start it, but am trying to help it along. My son didn't race last wkend but his mom did!!! It was an absolute BLAST!!! I forgot how much motorcycle racing stays in your blood...

Everyone needs to remember that moto-x racing is rated #2 right after soccer (??? - don't get that one) for most extreme sport that a person can do. Yes, you take risks, but hey - it is so much of a RUSH.. ..dee in garland
Ride Red, Excel Rims, FMF Pipes, ProWorks. DeCal Works, Dunlap Tires, MotorEx, Scott USA, Icat , Renthal, TwinAir~Go number #95!!!

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Texas Offroad Network
Sponsors & Partners

KTM OF NORTH TEXAS / SLM RACING - 2260 W. Pioneer Parkway - Arlington, TX 76013 - 817-275-2228

KTM OF NORTH TEXAS / SLM RACING - 2260 W. Pioneer Parkway - Arlington, TX 76013 - 817-275-2228

TJ's Cycle - 6208 North Lamar - Austin, TX 78752 - 512.453.6255

Cycle Parts Warehouse - www.cyclepartswarehouse.com

TSCEC Website

Texas 4-H Youth ATV Safety Program

The RiderDown Foundation - Helping Riders Up

Texas Offroad Network
Affiliate Programs
American Trails
Locations of visitors to this page
Outdoor Hub