TON Forums | Classifieds | Gallery | Links | Weather | Home   || OEM parts & online schematics || Cycle Gear
TON Logo
Page 5 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#3197 - 12/09/03 02:51 PM Re: Well meaning friends [Re: jody2ms]
mx426 Offline

I have encountered members of my own family that question my decision to let my oldest (8) ride. My own mother, who by the way would not let me ride when I was younger, has given me a lot of grief in the past. However, she has seen a difference in the way WE act as a family lately and has even appologized for being so hasty. There are far worse things your kids could be doing on a Saturday than being with the family having fun riding together. Plus, just like any sport, there are risks as well as accomplishment. I figure if my 8 year old can set a goal to clear that tabletop or snake that one trail that has intimidated him for some time, he is well on his way to having self discipline and control that so mant lack these days. Just my .02 worth. Thanks for your time.

#3198 - 04/05/05 04:11 AM Re: Well meaning friends [Re: jody2ms]
40plus_daddy Offline
TON Member

Loc: Austin Texas
As a Dad I can say many friends of mine "question" my sanity when my kids do "extreme" sports. I have riden Mx since I was 10, never a broke bone or trip to the hospital. My kids ride too. 13,8 and soon my 2 1/2 year old. What I have learned is it's how you do it as much as what you do. Always safety gear, and I mean ALL of it. Even that test ride in the back yard !! Kevlar pants, pads, elbow & shin protectors, full face helmet, gloves chest protector, sounds expensive, but cheaper than a trip to the hospital. Get the stuff used, find a rider or two just bigger than your kid and up grade when they do. you will get most of your money back when you sell your stuff to a parent of a rider or two just smaller than your kid. Also teach your kids to ride properly !! Just ask,any parent or older rider, everyone is usually glad to lend a hand. Keep a first aid kit in the car, never used on my kids but have saved many motorists in wrecks.
Next, serious MX kids are usually good kids, keep the grades up, no drugs, no kidding. When the pot head kids want your kid to get high, it will not seem nearly as exciting as racing/riding. Besides the MX'ers are the kool kids. Track or open riding is much safer than around the house(too many hard sharp things to run into or fall on) Racing , will that depends on the kid, Most kids have a healthy respect or fear of what the bike can do, make sure your kids do too.
My kids would ride bikes some day, I knew it when they started jumping ramps at 3 1/2 yrs. I don't want my kids learning to ride, and yes fall when they are 18, on the road, with a sport bike and no safety gear. Those kids are called "organ doners". Expect your kid to WANT to come home from college and ride with you!! There are many other more dangerous things than riding. Mark
YZ 250 Stock, all I need to whip you boys.
Cr 250
Dt 175
Yz 80
Kx 65 X3
Kx 80
Jr 50
'87 FZX Fazer 700
'86 Venture Royale X 2
'92 Nighthawk 250
'96 suzuki GN 125
'90 Vulcan 500
Isuzu Trooper X 3

#3199 - 04/06/05 02:42 AM Re: Well meaning friends [Re: 40plus_daddy]
liss Offline
Gang Mom

Loc: LOVING,TEXAS
Yep I've been there with the whole "are you out of your mind putting that baby on a dirt bike " even though that baby is 5 years old! The bad thing is that her kid got hit in the head with a bat playing baseball and she is telling me my kid on a jr50 with a helmet,chest protecter,boots goggles gloves, elbow and knee pads is dangerous huh seems to me like there all dangerous to a point.I've seen people put 2 year olds on horses that at anytime can bolt without any saftey gear...Don't get me wrong I love rodeo too my daughter does both bikes and rodeo...But I sure feel alot better when she is on a bike vs. a horse. I rode horses all my life and just started riding a dirt bike a just race my first c/c race and I can tell you that bike never once ran off with me..lol kinda bucked a couple of times...anyway I will quit rambleing and tell you that this is the most family fun we have had the kids and now us racing TORO and TCCRA has been a blast and I don't see us stopping anytime soon..So tell them to raise thiers and you will raise yours and see what's going on when they are 18..prob be out with mom and dad riding and having a blast!

Sponsor:
Week's Muffler Bearings and Powerbands

Mom of:
Kate 815 R
Buddy 15 lb
many many others I claim
Grandma of:
Josie..future pro #15

#3200 - 03/08/06 06:57 PM Re: Well meaning friends [Re: liss]
4JS Offline

Loc: New Mexico

This is a good topic, and one that I can relate to.

I was involved in a horrific car accident in December of 2002. Our boys at the time were 14 and 11. They are now 17 and 14. They had never been on a motorcycle, but less than a month after my accident a "friend" decided to take them out on his. Just to keep their minds off Mom, and all my broken bones. The boys loved it, Dad loved it, and what could I say. I was in a nursing home trying to get better. I did not care for motorcycles, as I had a accident on a dirt bike when I was 9, and ended up in the hospital for a couple of week.

As I got better, I realized that I was not going to stop driving a car, or riding in a car just because of an accident. I could not live life in fear. Dad promised me that the boys would just desert ride, no racing. We went to a race in New Mexico just as spectators. I was so thrilled, and excited, I asked the boys if they wanted to try it. They did not miss a beat when they said yes.

We bought them motorcycles that they could race, and they started in November of 2003 with their first race. Now just two years later, the oldest is racing the 250C class, will move up to the B class this fall, and the youngest is racing the 125C class.

Have they gotten hurt, sure...The oldest has suffered a broken foot, and a broken arm. The youngest just got over a broken foot in February. Here is the lesson; the youngest decided after the broken foot he was not going to race for a while, he wanted to play Baseball. He had to sit out the Basketball season because of the foot injury. So, we supported his decision, and low and behold on March 1st, he breaks his wrist at school playing wall ball. Just goes to show anything can happen to anyone, any place. Motorcycles are as dangerous as playing wall ball! Just ask my 14 year old, he will tell you, but it was extreme wall ball we were playing.

This sport has been a joy to us from the day we started, which was not long ago. It took a major event in my life for me to realize that life itself is dangerous, live it for today, because tomorrow you may not be around to enjoy it anyways!

Peace out!

Julie

#3201 - 03/10/06 09:47 PM Re: Well meaning friends [Re: 4JS]
ktmlance Offline
Gang Veteran

Loc: Watauga, TX
My father raised us racing dirt bikes. I rode several family enduros on the front of my fathers bike and he made straps for my feet so I could stand up and absorb the bumps. I finished every race asleep on the gas tank.

I have now graduated college, have kids, and a house and I still ride enduros with my Dad, ususally on the same row. Most of my friends may see their parents a couple time a year, christmas, thanksgiving, during the summer. I get to race and ride with my father almost every time I get on a bike.

My brother is at school at Texas Tech, my other Brother is an accountant in Houston, My father and I live in DFW. We all meet up in east TX or at the TSCEC enduros around the state to ride. It is very cool to Race with a Row of Kings and at sidewinders my Dad finished, Lyndon got 3rd 200a, I well I got 1St 200A. Pretty Cool.

My son Hayden is getting pretty good on his pw50, he is 3 1/2. I look forward to Hayden being able to race with his Dad, uncles, and Grandfather all together on the same row.

Pretty cool stuff. Yall are right you can get hurt playing soccer, basketball, etc... But can you play baseball with 3 generations on the same team?

Lance King

#3202 - 03/15/06 09:46 PM Re: Well meaning friends [Re: ktmlance]
RockHopper Offline
CTTA President

Loc: www.austintrials.com
For the sake of credibility I think we should be intellectually honest. So, at the risk of upsetting:

I am reading a lot of comments that say basically, "you can get hurt crossing the street, so ride your bikes to your heart's content!"

You should know that I have a lot of dirt bikes (near 20).. I am not bashing our sport. But our sport IS dangerous! It is more "risky" than basketball, baseball, wall ball, and crossing the street. Beginners should know that if you are going to bring your young child into this sport there is a pretty good chance he or she will end up with broken bones along the way... maybe more than once.. and some of the injuries can be severe and cause permanent disabilities... That's the way it is..

This sport has it's rewards and risks... They don't "match" those of others.. The risks our higher than most other common childhood sports... The rewards can be argued are higher also.. It is a "risk/benefit analysis" that every family has to make.. But it must be one that honestly recognizes the weight of the risks.. To say that "you can get hurt walking down the street" is not giving a true depiction of the risks involved... Especially when trying to convey to those that are considering whether of not they should "sign up" their child for a broken arm or two..

#3203 - 03/16/06 07:05 AM Re: Well meaning friends [Re: RockHopper]
liss Offline
Gang Mom

Loc: LOVING,TEXAS
I agree Dirt bike's are a very risky sport. It is not if you will get hurt but when. Yes on a day to day basis it is more dangerous than Baseball ect. I think what most of us are trying to say is that there are risk in all sports, well life in general. When I was compairing bikes to rodeo I was very serious. I've been there done that. I also was one of those little kids on horseback and I also got hurt as a child as well as an adult.
My kids have shown a huge intrest in dirt bikes. I know at anytime that they can be seriously injured. As a parent you have to weigh the whole risk benifit thing.
Now asks me how I feel about it in 5 years or so lol.
I wish everyone good luck and safety in this sport!

Sponsor:
Week's Muffler Bearings and Powerbands

Mom of:
Kate 815 R
Buddy 15 lb
many many others I claim
Grandma of:
Josie..future pro #15

#3204 - 03/16/06 03:12 PM Re: Well meaning friends [Re: liss]
ktmlance Offline
Gang Veteran

Loc: Watauga, TX
It is not a given that you will get broken bones riding a dirt bike. My brothers and myself are 21, 24, and 26 and only my youngest brother has broken a bone. We all race enduros and have ridden since we were 4-5. My father told us from the begining not to ride over our heads, that is when you get hurt.

My father has ridden/raced harescrambles, and enduros since the 70's and he has discloated a shoulder, torn his acl and I think cracked a few ribs. I think the ribs was a result of my dad's friend wheeling into his back when he stopped at a fence line. (most older guys who play basketball have torn ACL's and had knee problems).

I would say the risk for getting killed riding/racing is much higher than playing basketball but you are the one twisting the throttle, it is about fun, ride within you limits and teach your kids to ride within their limits and you DON'T HAVE TO GET HURT!

Also all you motorcross guys who keep breaking bones, try an enduro. You race against the clock and people will actually move over and let you pass. Seems quite a bit safer to me.

I rode concho and felt out of sorts in the rocks all day last weekend, so I slowed down. I did not crash all day long, I did not get a trophy either but my bike and I came home in one peice, it was still way more fun than sitting on the couch.

No peice of plastic or wood is worth getting hurt. When you are on your game gas it and when your are not slow down.

Lance King

#3205 - 03/29/06 05:40 AM Re: Well meaning friends [Re: jody2ms]
tmtex Offline
Gang Member

Loc: Garland, Texas
My son who is 7 races the 50 class. He's been riding 3 yrs, racing for 2. He had 1 hard crash about 1.5 yrs ago and one last weekend. He's ridden this track a 100 times, never had a issue. Last weekend on his first practice lap he endod or cased a jump. He say there was a hole on the other side. Anyway, he went over the bars. He and the bike flipped numerous times. He came out with a road rash from the back tire on his chest.(had chest protector on) I looked at his helmet and then started to think back of the fall.
He land straight oh top of his head. HARD. In think if he didnt have the neck roll he would be in real serious trouble. I dont push him to be #1 but I alway say just cruise the track and have fun. Within the last couple weeks, I've seen more 50 riders hurt BAD which is something I've never seen before. Yea there maybe a broken arm here and there but where we go its been alot worse.

I am actually thinking of stopping all the racing stuff and getting them back into play/trail ridding if thats even possible. If not get rid of them all.

#3206 - 03/29/06 05:29 PM Re: Well meaning friends [Re: tmtex]
RockHopper Offline
CTTA President

Loc: www.austintrials.com
TMTEX,
There are many "forms" of motorcycling.. and each have their level of risk..

Before you "toss" the idea of off-road motorcylcing out the window you should consider the sport of observed trials.

I am a "former-motocrosser-turned-trials-rider." I enjoyed MX immensely, and still love it, but as you, I saw the rash of injuries, even to persons who were riding well within their skill set. It is simple physics; the faster you go, the higher the risk and severity of injury.. Also, competition brings out the "competitiveness" in individuals, and when you have several bikes in a small area, that creates additional risk.. You, as a rider, can be doing everything "right" and the rider in front of you can go down... or the rider in the rear can bump you... down you go... if you are at speed, that could mean your day is over... and weeks of re-hab..

About 6 years ago I discovered Observed Trials. It is truly the best kept secret in off-road motorcycling. The sport "looks" dangerous when you consider what some of the expert riders can do on the bigger obstacles, but because of the very slow speeds involved the injury rate is minimal.. extremely minimal.. I have been competing in the Texas State Series of Observed Trials for 6 years and only ONE rider during that time has required a ride to the hospital. That is ONE rider in 6 years of competition! I was at Rio Bravo last weekend and two MX riders required an ambulance in ONE DAY.. Severe injuries in obsserved trials are extremely rare. ..again, slow speeds.. and only one person rides in a 'section' at a time.. The competition is the terrain. You ride the terrain, one rider at a time.. ONLY your errors can cause you to get hurt..

Don't get me wrong, I still love riding other bikes and still have a BUNCH of them.. (over 20 off-road vehicles).. I just spend most of my time on a trials bike.. going slow and challenging my abiltity to manipulate my bike through obstacles and difficult terrain.. it is most rewarding.. Do yourself a favor and check it out.. You may find, like many other 'go-fasters' have found, that observed trials really is as rewarding as going fast but with a much lower level of risk..

Click on the "learn about trials" link below for a fun read about the sport of trials.

Wesley Brace
---------
"Once you ride a trials bike, throwing your leg over anything else is like riding a refrigerator."
- quote by Chris Johnson

Page 5 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Texas Offroad Network
Sponsors & Partners

KTM OF NORTH TEXAS / SLM RACING - 2260 W. Pioneer Parkway - Arlington, TX 76013 - 817-275-2228

KTM OF NORTH TEXAS / SLM RACING - 2260 W. Pioneer Parkway - Arlington, TX 76013 - 817-275-2228

TJ's Cycle - 6208 North Lamar - Austin, TX 78752 - 512.453.6255

Cycle Parts Warehouse - www.cyclepartswarehouse.com

TSCEC Website

Texas 4-H Youth ATV Safety Program

The RiderDown Foundation - Helping Riders Up

Texas Offroad Network
Affiliate Programs
American Trails
Locations of visitors to this page
Outdoor Hub