TON Forums | Classifieds | Gallery | Links | Weather | Home   || OEM parts & online schematics || Cycle Gear
TON Logo
Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#3187 - 10/03/02 05:33 AM Re: Well meaning friends [Re: Chris]
Tominator Offline
Poet At Large

I'll take it a step past friends, and mention family. My ex-wife's family never understood the fun my boys and I have shared on the bikes. They constantly ridiculed the boys for riding, and me for letting them. When I was hospitalized, they never came to visit, only kept telling Josh that I was lucky to be alive, and we should all quit immediately. They actually drove a stake between the children (and son-in-law) they loved, and themselves. Their other grandkids have been in and out of jail, on drugs, teenage alcoholics, etc, because their parents didn't care what they did, and never spent time with them. A complete family was torn apart by their resistance to understand the bonding and responsibilities we all share. Sadly for them, it was their loss.

I did mention EX wife, didn't I? Go figure.....

Tom Bailey
Team BFD
KTM 5-sumthin

#3188 - 10/03/02 07:25 PM Re: Well meaning friends [Re: Tominator]
dirt4fun Offline
TON Member

My 8 year old son has been racing MX for about 2 years. Our family and friends thought we were absolutely crazy letting him race. At first, I thought I was crazy for agreeing to let him race. They really thought we lost our minds when mom & dad starting riding with him. We were spending so much time at the track we decided to get bikes to ride with him. People really thought it was crazy when I started riding with him. Never did I imagine how much fun I would have and how my son would think it was so great having mom ride with him. There is never a practice we go to that we don't have to have a mom & son race-of course I always lose!!!! His sister has also started riding at this point. Our family & friends stopped making so many comments about our sport after seeing how much time we spend together as a family. Grandma & Grandpa still get nervous when we leave, but as soon as we get home, they have to know how he did at the race and he runs to show them his tropies. They also come to watch when they can. The kids teachers are also supportive. They said they can tell which students have parents that actually spend time with them. We took our son out of school one Friday to race. The teacher didn't mind and thought is was great!

Now, about a month ago, my husband had (another) wreck coming up short on a jump and broke his leg. He had surgery and had a rod put in. You could tell my parents really wanted to make comments about us riding, but they never said a word to me. This brought up their concerns about their grandson riding again. I don't think they are as worried about us. They asked my husband if he learned anything and he said yes, I need to give it more gas and that was the end of the subject. We all love this sport and know it can be dangerous. If all of the family and friends that make comments would come out to the tracks and see the great family atmosphere and fun we have-they might have a different opinion.

#3189 - 10/10/02 04:30 PM Re: Well meaning friends [Re: dirt4fun]
Chris Offline
Veteran Lunatic

Loc: Salado, TX
We have tried to get Kirby to ride for years and she has no interest in it. Over the weekend at the Nixon race, she closelined herself on a friend's trailer. Injuries can happen any where. Riding is just as dangerous as everything else. That's why they are called accidents.

#3190 - 10/10/02 11:33 PM Re: Well meaning friends [Re: Chris]
RockHopper Offline
CTTA President

Loc: www.austintrials.com
---"Riding is just as dangerous as everything else"---

Whoa... I think most would agree that this is not the case. Certainly riding IS more dangerous than many other activities and sports.. I think what most are saying in this thread is the benefit of family bonding and "friend building" is worth the risk of injury to themselves and their children...

#3191 - 10/11/02 12:16 AM Re: Well meaning friends [Re: RockHopper]
Chris Offline
Veteran Lunatic

Loc: Salado, TX
Okay- to a klutzy dingy blonde, which Kirby and I both are- everything is dangerous. But yes- you always have to weigh the risks in proportion to the benefits. That is what I was trying to say. It just didn't come out right.

#3192 - 10/11/02 01:47 PM Re: Well meaning friends [Re: Gumby]
ardfarkl Offline
Veteran Lunatic

Loc: Usually on here.
Do you ever here the "You were different" theory. I have been looking for a bike for my 4 1/2 year old daughter for a month or so. Not hard core looking, but keeping my eye out. Grief is coming from all directions. When I say I had my first one at 4,. "Well, you were different"..

?????

My mom hung me on a hook once...ONCE!!

#3193 - 12/16/02 07:10 PM Re: Well meaning friends [Re: ardfarkl]
mbooth Offline
Gang Member

Loc: Tomball, TX
I know I am a day late and a dollar short, but I just found this thread and I love it and feel the need to reinforce pretty much what everyone on here has said. I am probably too protective of my "brady bunch" family, but it is done with much love. I was extremely aprehensive about getting the motorcycles, and used to camp out by the ambulance waiting til all my crew came back in in one piece. Most of the time they did and all was well. My husband has been hurt several times, but has bounced back really fast and was right back on the bike. Last year, John, our 2 sons and one daughter raced. This year, we have one more daughter joining the mix! I am so very proud of all of them. I don't do motorcycles (I'm the horse lady) but now that we are involved in the sport, I wouldn't change a thing (except maybe the injuries). We have all gotten so much closer and really look forward to our weekend outings. Now, I am involved with the hair scramble series up to my eyebrows and am having a great time. We have made so many new friends and I for one feel like an extended family! It is a great way to spend time away from the house and with friends and family.

Thanks for letting me speak my 2 cents.

Mary Booth

#3194 - 05/07/03 02:15 AM Re: Well meaning friends [Re: jody2ms]
Anonymous
Unregistered

Tell your friends that you are letting your children experience life the way your child wants to.
I am a veteran race mom and have had so many memorable moments and photos of my two boys racing. My most memorable photo was when my 5 year old was on the way home passed out clutching his first trophy. To this day my 5 year old now 22 is still enjoying the sport.

momster

#3195 - 05/20/03 08:10 PM Re: Well meaning friends [Re: Bobby]
LOIS Offline
Gang Member

Loc: Austin, TX
Would you post that how to for kids. Or email me. I would love to know more. I am very interested in getting my 6yr old son involved. This weekend he sat on a PW50 and was so excited he wanted to drive it off. I would also like to know more about these playdays that have been talked about.
Lead Me Not Into Temptation, I Can Find It Myself! #344 aka "Crator Creator"'s wife #314's mom and always chasing my 2 little tornados Cole and Lukas!!!!!!

#3196 - 05/22/03 02:37 PM Re: Well meaning friends [Re: jody2ms]
MotoVated758 Offline
Gang Boss

Loc: Pflugerville, TX
This is such a great thread, I thought I'd throw in a tidbit. My son got his first bike last October, Prior to that, he had ridden a few of his buddies' XR70's, and KTM 50's. He had been asking for a dirtbike since he was around 6 or 8 (just turned 12). I rode trails in my younger days, and still ride street, so when the finances were right, and before he got too old, I bought him his first bike, a KLX125. I figured this was a better bike to learn to use a clutch than a 85 two stroke. Well, after 3 months of riding every weekend out at CrossCreek, he had gotten about as much as he could out of that ol' four stroke. He wanted to race in the 85 class, and the thumper was just a bit low on power. We got his KX85 in January, and he raced the Suzuki series at CrossCreek in the beginner class.

Now, what's great is the whole family has become involved with the tracks, and racing. We've started camping at the races, and both my daugher, who is 15, and my wife have really gotten into the sport (mainly as spectators so far). I just acquired an ATV so my wife and daughter would have something to do, as they're not into bikes as of yet. My wife has never been into motorcycles, but gave the 4 wheeler a try at the last race. I think she had a good time. I never thought my wife would be real keen on the idea of the boy riding mx and racing, but she really has become one of his best fans. Even after a race where he rode somewhat under his capabilities, she informed him that she knows he can ride much better than that. He just seemed somewhat disinterested that day.

Mom is so proud of what her son has accomplished in the last few months. I'm really tickled that she has become so supportive of the boy's riding, and the sport in general. She even emailed his picture (see attached) of one of the races to all her friends. Most of the replys were like "O'my Gosh, you let your son do that". A couple of them said "we were thinking about getting little ------- a dirtbike, but now I'm not so sure. I don't think I could stand him doing that". Hey, this is a GOOD picture....the bike is HORIZONTAL to the jump....you should of seen him when the bike was about perfectly vertical, and the landing wasn't pretty.

Anyway, we are starting to meet a lot of nice folks at the races, and through the campouts. I'm just glad we found something we can all do together before my daughter goes off to college. We never really had an activity in the past we could all get excited about. This is just the greatest thing yet. Yes, we do worry somewhat about the dangers, but then, as we're sitting out at the track, enjoying the outdoors, and spending time together, those thoughts give way to the pure fun, excitement, and enjoyment we experience almost every weekend now. My only regret is not having started this earlier.

Attachments
103196-whiteflag.jpg (93 downloads)

Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Texas Offroad Network
Sponsors & Partners

KTM OF NORTH TEXAS / SLM RACING - 2260 W. Pioneer Parkway - Arlington, TX 76013 - 817-275-2228

KTM OF NORTH TEXAS / SLM RACING - 2260 W. Pioneer Parkway - Arlington, TX 76013 - 817-275-2228

TJ's Cycle - 6208 North Lamar - Austin, TX 78752 - 512.453.6255

Cycle Parts Warehouse - www.cyclepartswarehouse.com

TSCEC Website

Texas 4-H Youth ATV Safety Program

The RiderDown Foundation - Helping Riders Up

Texas Offroad Network
Affiliate Programs
American Trails
Locations of visitors to this page
Outdoor Hub