TON Forums | Classifieds | Gallery | Links | Weather | Home   || OEM parts & online schematics || Cycle Gear
TON Logo
Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#3167 - 06/19/01 02:00 AM Re: Well meaning friends [Re: Rwhite]
jody2ms Offline
New Boot

Hey all.

Well, we all went to Skull Creek this weekend for the family enduro. What a blast. I rode with Cory(6) in the a.m., and Dad rode in the second loop. I should be incredibly sore today, but remarkably feel great. The little guy did so great. Had to pull him out of a few mud holes (I slept like a rock last night), but he was a trooper and not a complaint out of him. Some of the hills and mud holes were a bit scary for him, but he did them and was so excited to have "raced" with mom.

What a great day.

Have one question. We are hoping to join Skull Creek, and are on the list, but are wondering about something. Are the kids allowed to ride in the fenced area? While at this ride, we were concerned about several of the kids riding 'round and 'round the camp area. There were signs that read "5 miles per hour", but they were going much faster than that and using it as a small race track. One child on a Honda came within 2 feet of running into my sleeping baby in his stroller. We were in the grass, and he was cutting through the trees and such. No parents in sight. This went on for over 1 1/2 hours. I flagged him down twice and he did not listen to me. I would hope that this area, with a playground and small children running around, could be a safe zone, but it did not feel that way.

I would think that this area should only be for riders to go to and from the trails and not used as a small race/practice track.

Okay, my peace said.....

Jody

It's all good!

#3168 - 06/19/01 07:29 PM Re: Well meaning friends [Re: jody2ms]
Herb Offline
Gang Daddy

Jody, this should not of happened. I was there, but out riding the afternoon loop. We all have to put a stop to this. We do not allow the kids or adults to ride around and around the camp area. This can lead to action by the park committe. The kids are suppose to ride outside the fence.

#3169 - 06/22/01 02:49 PM Re: Well meaning friends [Re: Herb]
Tbone Offline
Gang Member

There sure is a lot of guys talkin on here for this to be a forum for "moms".

"I may be stupid,but I'm not you"

#3170 - 06/22/01 09:51 PM Re: Well meaning friends [Re: Tbone]
jody2ms Offline
New Boot

How 'bout we change it to "Parents of Kids Who Ride"?

Jody

It's all good!

#3171 - 06/22/01 09:58 PM Re: Well meaning friends [Re: Herb]
jody2ms Offline
New Boot

I thought so. It was super annoying. When they stopped, (after almost 2 hours), it was like heaven! The kids did not listen to me when I flagged 'em down and told them to stop. Just kept on going, round and round and round and round and round......it was maddening.

The worst part was our little boy....we told him it was against the rules to ride around there, but he kept asking "Well, why are they riding?" Smart kid. That was our questions too. Not fair for only some to follow the rules.

The kids were on Hondas. I think a 60 or 80 and a 50.

All in all, a great day except for this.

Jody

It's all good!

#3172 - 07/17/01 05:37 PM Re: Well meaning friends [Re: jody2ms]
Muddin Offline

Loc: Stephenville, TX
Nowadays it seems to me that a good parent is to put their kids in this bubble. What does that do? Makes them unprepared for the real world where there are consequences for actions. Children raised in a bubble don't realize that some things are dangerous and they don't know how to be careful because they have never had to be careful. I'm not a mother. But, my kids will be able to enjoy sports. There are more things learned from sports of any kind (for example bikes) than kids seriously injured or killed. I think that you are doing a good job in not raising whinney snot nosed brats that won't have a clue when they grow up and move out.

I've got a mind like a...a...what's that thing called?

http://www.geocities.com/muddin4fun79blazer

www.geocities.com/muddin4fun79blazer

#3173 - 08/15/01 02:35 PM Re: Well meaning friends [Re: Muddin]
snakecharmer Offline
New Boot

Loc: Cedar Park, Tx
Great thread Jody. I'm another dad jumping in. I might qualify as I'm a single dad. Anyway, I have been involved with sports all my life, was a pro tennis player until age 30, and have met and dealt with all kinds of parents. What I really like about all the dirt bike parents that I've met so far is the emphasis that they place on FUN when it comes to riding. Too many parents, in other sports, are out there are driving their kids to excel to the point that it stops becoming fun.

With two boys, an 8 year old that just started and a 3 that can't wait, I'm looking forward to years of family fun on our dirt bikes.

Thanks again for this site and fun threads like these :)

Stretch

#3174 - 08/16/01 03:06 PM Re: Well meaning friends [Re: snakecharmer]
Happyman Offline

Loc: Texas
Well, I'm Mr. Mom myself, and am planning on purchasing a bike for my 5 year old this Christmas, IF he gets a good report from school. (hehe, I love bribery) But, I personally have not riden in a few years and don't feel qualified to teach him how to ride safely. I know about the "schools" of riding put on by some manufacturers, but how well do they teach kids that you can hardly get to listen to you? This is the only factor detouring me from getting him into the sport. But, I agree with everyone else above, kids are going to get hurt. It's a fact of life that we as parents have to deal with, but riding together with your kids allows you to make sure that their protective equipment is worn, make sure that they ride well within their abilities, and be there when they do get hurt. Like someone said before kids ride off on there bicycles, skateboards, scooter, and etc. to friends houses or just around the neighborhood and you aren't around to supervise them. How do you stop injuries from happening then? How about at the playground at school? How do you stop little Jimmy from falling off the jungle gym? You can't, and there will be little or no supervison in these instances to help them out or stop it from happening. My point is that you don't just turn your kid loose on a motorcycle you watch them and coach them, because you know what dangers are being faced and how to avoid them as much as possible. Like I said, I'm planning on getting my boy (Tylar) a bike for Christmas (I need one too. To coach of course.) and I plan on attending classes of some sort with him so we can both learn together. And I can't think of a better way to spend time with my son than many weekend of trail riding and camping.

#3175 - 08/16/01 11:56 PM Re: Well meaning friends [Re: Happyman]
ODEI Offline
TON Member

Loc: Waco
Happyman, you are on the right path. I ride with both of my sons and taught them to ride. There is nothing more joyfull and fullfilling than watching your son ride to his fullest. Last year Sean my son rode his tail off and did wellin the TCHSS series. Most of all we did it together. One thing I instilled in his mind most of all no matter what have fun. I can't stress the have fun enough. Riding and racing is all about having fun. I had to move out of Texas so I can't help you with teaching your son how to ride. Unless I move back, which I am working on. Check out the for sale fourm Patman has a KTM 50 pro jounior for sale. This would be a great choice. It is mild enough to start with and good wnough to race. If you need some pointers on how to slow it down e-mail me and I will tell you. Most important get something that will start evertime. It is very discoureaging to have a poor runing bike. I can tell you one thing. Last season was the funnest time racing I had ever had simply because me and my son did it together. Hopfully I will get to meet you and your son I am not anything special of even close to being fast, I am just a Dad how loves to spend quality time with his son's

Odei
Pete Odegaard

#3176 - 08/12/02 05:41 PM Re: Well meaning friends [Re: ODEI]
walton4 Offline

Loc: Dallas, Texas
As a newbee here, I thought I'd put in my 2 cents worth. In Feberuary of this year after much arm twisting by my son's and daughter I bought 4 ATV's for the family. A Big Bear, 2 Bear Trackers and a Raptor 80. If I had known how much this would have changed my relationship with them and my wife I WOULD HAVE BOUGHT THEM MONTHS BEFORE!!!!!!!! We are doing things together as a family now. They look foward to going off on the weekends to ride and be together, are very helpfull in getting ready to go, knowing that to have a good time certain thngs must be done. During the week we clean up from the last trip and get ready for the next. It has been easer to get them away from the TV, Telephones,and internet chat. They are learing skills on how to take care of the ATV's. From reparing what they broke last trip, too making sure that things are in order for the next. Their physical dexterity and balance has improved, Their judgement skills have sharpened and their school work improved. Home work and grades come before riding. My wife has even gotten into it with them and has accually gone riding some. All 5 of us went thru the ATV institute safty training and had a great time. Purchasing this was tough on my wife as she lost her brother ( 1982) on a motercycle when he was 20, He was riding with out a helment. Rule number one is no riding with out a helment! My oldest son (13) though he could get away with it and wound up seating under the trees for a day and a half for violating the rules. Neadless to say it set a president for the other two and we have not had any violations since. I think this is a wonderful activity for the whole family. Just wish it had happened sooner.

Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Texas Offroad Network
Sponsors & Partners

KTM OF NORTH TEXAS / SLM RACING - 2260 W. Pioneer Parkway - Arlington, TX 76013 - 817-275-2228

KTM OF NORTH TEXAS / SLM RACING - 2260 W. Pioneer Parkway - Arlington, TX 76013 - 817-275-2228

TJ's Cycle - 6208 North Lamar - Austin, TX 78752 - 512.453.6255

Cycle Parts Warehouse - www.cyclepartswarehouse.com

TSCEC Website

Texas 4-H Youth ATV Safety Program

The RiderDown Foundation - Helping Riders Up

Texas Offroad Network
Affiliate Programs
American Trails
Locations of visitors to this page
Outdoor Hub