TON Forums | Classifieds | Gallery | Links | Weather | Home   || OEM parts & online schematics || Cycle Gear
TON Logo
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#274726 - 02/04/07 05:16 PM Was I wrong interferring???
deemit60 Offline
Gang Veteran

Loc: Garland, TX
Hi - my name is Dee and my son races most of the main/national tracks around DFW.

On Saturday he raced the Winter Series at Village Creek (he doesn't ride this race I am talking about - older). 3 cars down from us was a young boy - probably 5-7 racing a Yam 50. After the first moto I heard all this verbal abuse from an older man. Remembering that I heard prior to this another racer dad telling an official that this man at the finish line yells and screams at the kid all the time. That he has been thrown out of all the tracks around Houston.

Come the 2nd moto - I rooted for the little guy and walked back to his truck to find his dad in another tirade about coming in last. Like many of the young 50 riders - I try to always tell them what a fantastic job they did racing - like "Hey - you had a good time right, and you finished the race! Congratulations." The dad attacked me saying "Don't you try to undermind what I am telling my son". I said Excuse me, but I have raced all my life and all I see is someone verbally abusing a young boy. I would be proud that he finished the race and would never cut down my own son to coming in last"". I turned to leave and told the boy again "Good job, no matter what anyone else says".....The poor thing almost had tears in his eyes.

I walked away and found the other racer dad who told the official parked across the way observing the man. I told him and his friend what happened. He told me his wife would of torn into the guy if she was around and he told me that he will watch the situation.

Later, I found another man and his son parked next to them and wanted to know what they said to him as the abusive dad was talking to them in their truck. That father shook his head at his son as if to say "don't say anything to her". I said excuse me - He said I try not to get involved with other people's business....Well - heck if that's the case - I would hate for him to be the only one walking by if a woman was getting beat up.

So - what does everyone think??? I can tell you the last name of the child and will be watching for him if they show at Whitney - as I am sure the dad won't park anywhere near me. I will also warn some of the track owners I know about this person as he really isn't the type of warm and friendly mx people that you want to be associated with. Still turns my stomach this morning that's why I had to post this....Dee p.s. I worry about the kid on the way home as to what his dad did to him.
Ride Red, Excel Rims, FMF Pipes, ProWorks. DeCal Works, Dunlap Tires, MotorEx, Scott USA, Icat , Renthal, TwinAir~Go number #95!!!

#274727 - 02/05/07 03:44 AM Re: Was I wrong interferring??? [Re: deemit60]
liss Offline
Gang Mom

Loc: LOVING,TEXAS
It's really hard to keep your mouth shut when something like that is going on. I have seen it many times......more at rodeo's than in MX or C/C. My entire life I have done some sort of sports....mostly rodeo's now at 38 I race cross country along with the rest of my family. My parents never once acted that way. If I ever act that way towards my children I would hope that someone would set me straight.
The best way to make a child not want to ride or race is to act like that.
Just IMO it might be a better idea to turn him in to an official for verbal abuise or even unsportsman like conduct. I am not familliar with the MX crowd but I know in cross country you can do that.
I am alot like you in the fact that I don't care if a kid makes one lap gets lapped by his entire class and comes in last..............he did it!
My son also on a 50cc, may never be a pro because I didn't push hard enough..........but hey he had fun!
Good luck to you and most of all good luck to that little boy. I hope dad doesn't ruin his fun!

Sponsor:
Week's Muffler Bearings and Powerbands

Mom of:
Kate 815 R
Buddy 15 lb
many many others I claim
Grandma of:
Josie..future pro #15

#274728 - 04/13/07 09:35 PM Re: Was I wrong interferring??? [Re: liss]
WannaRace Offline
Gang Daddy

Loc: Kingwood, TX
wannarace mom here. That guy is so.... lucky that I was not there.....
I hate to hear anyone doing that. You did a good job telling that young boy he did great.
We have a 7 year old that is just starting to race his Honda 50.
Last year there was a dad out at our track and he was yelling at his son, There was not a race that day. Everybody was out just to have a good time. This man was yelling at his son telling him that if he did not do better then what he was he was going to be a looser. I will not type everything he said to that child it made me so mad just to hear what he was saying . When the child went to the bathroom I had a talk with MR. DAD, Let him know that if he was my hubby he would not have any teeth left in his mouth!!!
You did a good job standing up to him!!!!!
Kathy

Hannah PW50
Aaron KX65
Mom 4 Wheeler
Dad VTX 1300 Retro

There is no car... for any price... as cool as a motorcycle... and there never will be!

#274729 - 04/13/07 10:36 PM Re: Was I wrong interferring??? [Re: WannaRace]
deemit60 Offline
Gang Veteran

Thank you for replying!!! I was beginning to think that everyone who read this post could careless about the subject.

WOW - you have a bunch racing! Tell your girl - more power to her.

The funny thing - if there is one - I saw the same guy at Lake Whitney and he is ALWAYS alone - I mean, come on - who wants to be associated with him??? I just knew that he would know who I was, but I guess not.

If you live in Kingwood - then you probably did see the same man and his son. I think they can't race around their area anymore. Be interesting to see if they are racing this next series - FMF Night Series. I can only hope that he parks near me again - because I will NEVER forget how be-littling he was to this young boy. Makes me sick to still think about it....Take care...Dee
Ride Red, Excel Rims, FMF Pipes, ProWorks. DeCal Works, Dunlap Tires, MotorEx, Scott USA, Icat , Renthal, TwinAir~Go number #95!!!

#274730 - 04/13/07 10:37 PM Re: Was I wrong interferring??? [Re: deemit60]
deemit60 Offline
Gang Veteran

PS - come on mom and race!!! You will LOVE IT!!! dee

#274731 - 04/15/07 08:11 PM Re: Was I wrong interferring??? [Re: deemit60]
MXerDude Offline
Veteran Lunatic

Loc: Almost there.. 8)
yes you did good, sometimes folks dont see what they do to their kids when they are like that...

#274732 - 04/21/07 09:31 PM Re: Was I wrong interferring??? [Re: MXerDude]
WannaRace Offline
Gang Daddy

Loc: Kingwood, TX
Sorry it takes me a little time to get on to see what everybody is doing. With a 15, 7, and 2 year old and dont forget that my hubby is a child to, they take all my time.
Told Ashlee you said good luck. She said THANK YOU!!!
I hope that I see this guy. I would love to talk to his wife!!!!

Kathy

Hannah PW50
Aaron KX65
Mom 4 Wheeler
Dad VTX 1300 Retro

There is no car... for any price... as cool as a motorcycle... and there never will be!

#274733 - 05/25/07 11:01 PM Re: Was I wrong interferring??? [Re: WannaRace]
MotoKid30 Offline
Gang Member

Loc: Texas
In reply to:

Sorry it takes me a little time to get on to see what everybody is doing. With a 15, 7, and 2 year old and dont forget that my hubby is a child to, they take all my time.
Told Ashlee you said good luck. She said THANK YOU!!!
I hope that I see this guy. I would love to talk to his wife!!!!

Kathy

Yeah, considering his attitude and demeanor, he probably doesn't have a wife anymore. lol.

Well, this may be a "mom's section only" ( i am not sure) but I'm 14 and really appreciate when adults will take a stand for someone or something they believe in. I have seen this same thing a few times at my local track where a dad (and one time even a mom) get to into it and start yelling all kinds of shrewd and degrading comments at their son/daughter. and it makes me sick.

being a teenager, i have thought that it is probably not my place to tell an adult how to raise their child and get into an argument, but I always make sure I go find the kid that was being yelled at and tell them that its not their fault, their dad/mom was over-reacting, etc. then i get my dad (who is a very intimidating man at 6 foot 320 pounds) to have a... conversation with the parent who was yelling at their child.

just wanted to let you know you did a great job and believe me, we kids love when people will stand up to a parent like the one you described, even if it is our own.

so again, great job! you should get like a medal or something because from my point of view, many people won't do anything about outrageously behaved parents.

-Gareth Leake
14 yrs old
Houston, Texas

Edited by MotoKid30 (05/25/07 11:02 PM)

#274734 - 04/28/08 11:29 PM Re: Was I wrong interferring??? [Re: MotoKid30]
xr250babe Offline
Gang Member

Loc: Friendswood, Texas
As a girl (mother) that has not rode a dirt bike for very long, the last thing anyone needs is being yelled at. Riding a dirt bike is hard...! More power to anyone who gets out there and gives it a try.

#274735 - 06/18/08 03:49 PM Re: Was I wrong interferring??? [Re: xr250babe]
0dblzer0 Offline

Loc: OK
I heard a guy threaten to zip tie his 6 yr old throttle down on his quad if he didn't race harder and stay off of the brake. This was at an arenacross race year before last. I let a lot of people know about this guy at that race. It scared me to even think that he would threaten it and I honestly think he would do it too. This was the first time that kid had ever raced on a motocross type track. He had only raced a couple of drag races prior to this. The kid finished the season and hasn't been to that series since. The sad thing is that the kid was actually pretty good and seemed to like racing but the dad went nuts after nearly every race. We had raced with this guy before in drag races so i knew he was aggressive towards the kid. He even lives in the same town as me. I have seen him throw the kids quad in the back of the truck and tell him that he is done riding forever so he might as well just go sit in the truck bcuz he didn't even want to look at him anymore. That was bcuz he was beat in a drag race by a girl. I have tried numerous things even talking to the mother but the dad is just as belittling to her. A lot of people do not like this boy bcuz he has a temper problem but that is all he has ever been taught. I think it is really sad. The dad never leaves a mark on the kid and puts on a good show in front of some people so there is nothing that even DHS could do to get this kid out of that situation. I am glad that you took the time to try with this kid and I know how bad it makes you feel for him. I love my kids racing regardless of how they do. My son, 13, isn't very good at racing really but he loves it so I am proud of him and encourage him to do his best. He has more guts than me just being out there. My daughter is actually pretty good but she has days where she just doesn't race good and that is fine too. At 7, I think it is awesome that she is just doing it and having fun. Racing is their decision and I just try to encourage and help them.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Texas Offroad Network
Sponsors & Partners

KTM OF NORTH TEXAS / SLM RACING - 2260 W. Pioneer Parkway - Arlington, TX 76013 - 817-275-2228

KTM OF NORTH TEXAS / SLM RACING - 2260 W. Pioneer Parkway - Arlington, TX 76013 - 817-275-2228

TJ's Cycle - 6208 North Lamar - Austin, TX 78752 - 512.453.6255

Cycle Parts Warehouse - www.cyclepartswarehouse.com

TSCEC Website

Texas 4-H Youth ATV Safety Program

The RiderDown Foundation - Helping Riders Up

Texas Offroad Network
Affiliate Programs
American Trails
Locations of visitors to this page
Outdoor Hub