TON Forums | Classifieds | Gallery | Links | Weather | Home  
TON Logo
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#247292 - 09/07/06 04:03 PM Any other whole-loop riders?
tracetrimble Offline
Gang Boss

Loc: Austin
My buddy Cameron and I have been riding the loop on our beater dirtbikes quite a bit this summer. We see a lot of other bikes out there but it doesn't seem like many hit the whole loop, regardless of bike type.

We've been getting around in under an hour, is this considered fast? It took me a while to get my lap times down to the range I can do on my mountain bike. I'm not sure how well we'd match up with a trials guy, but we're looking for anyone that is around the same speed.

I don't like to ride tough trails alone, especially near dark on a weekday, so I'm looking for more riding partners for more opportunities to ride. I'm usually down for one ride on the weekend too, and I've also done a couple night rides, which were pretty fun if you're into that.

Post here, or stop by next time you see us out there. I have an 87 RM250 that I haul in the bed of a black Chevy ext cab Z71. My buddy Cameron has a 95 XR250, and no way to haul it right now so he's usually with me.

Thanks-
Trace
TORCS #598 Open A, KTM 300XC
www.powersportparts.net #iridedunlop #lucaslegion #twinair #leatt #spyoptic #hookit

#247293 - 09/08/06 02:08 PM Re: Any other whole-loop riders? [Re: tracetrimble]
jeddclampette Offline
TON Member

Loc: Austin, Texas
I don't know if it's you guys, but 've seen two riders with those two similar bikes being rolled off a black Chevy P/up on a weekend. I have to say( with all due respect) that the RM250 is WAY TOO LOUD.
Too many expensive houses are getting built next to City Park nowadays. All it takes is one or two noise complaints from Mr. & Mrs. Snob and the whole place will be shut down. Please do everything possible to quiet down that RM250.

Also, it goes without saying....all dirt bikes MUST HAVE a Spark Arrester to ride there .....and .... a TPWD $8 sticker now.

And a quick FYI...
Next weekend, there's going to be a trials competition. So the main loop and all other trails will only be available to the Trials riders and spectators.

#247294 - 09/08/06 03:10 PM Re: Any other whole-loop riders? [Re: jeddclampette]
tracetrimble Offline
Gang Boss

Yeah, I agree it's loud. I've repacked the silencer, didn't help much. There aren't many replacement options for that age bike. Any other suggestions? It's for sale anyway, shouldn't have it much longer.

When is the trials comp? Can't be ALL weekend?

So anyways... any other riders?
www.powersportparts.net #iridedunlop #lucaslegion #twinair #leatt #spyoptic #hookit

#247295 - 09/08/06 03:47 PM Re: Any other whole-loop riders? [Re: tracetrimble]
Dave Offline
AMSA Gang Boss

Loc: Spicewood
I used to train here with a buddy on the long loop a few years ago before I broke my legs (two different stories!) and we could make it in under 25 minutes without stopping, stalling or falling. That was when the loop ran the other direction, which I prefer. That's also when I was alot more serious about racing and going fast on the rocks...I'm getting too old to risk getting hurt badly anymore. It's still an awesome place to ride though and we need to do all we can to take care of this place for the future.

#247296 - 09/08/06 05:15 PM Re: Any other whole-loop riders? [Re: tracetrimble]
Ted Glover Offline
TON Member

Loc: Round Rock, TX
I think my best time was somewhere around 30 minutes. I'm usually good for two laps before I call it a day. It looks like running it in reverse (from how it is now) would be easier.
2008 Can-Am Outlander Max 800
2005 TRX 400EX

#247297 - 09/10/06 06:07 PM Re: Any other whole-loop riders? [Re: Ted Glover]
Greg Offline
Vet AMSA Director

Loc: Austin, TX
The trials event is Saturday only. Just one day. These summer series events are just-for-fun. We go from section to section in small groups and judge each other. The State Series is when they get serous and do two rounds per weekend with designated judges at each section. Anyway, Saturday is when the park will be closed unless you enter the event. Of course, spectating is free!

As far as night riding goes, we are planning to ride the trials sections after work through the winter this year. It would require us to use lights because it gets dark about when we are ready to start riding. We were discussing it one evening after it got too dark to ride - how to mount up some mountain bike lights etc. - when we heard Travis and Cameron coming out of the woods. They both had lights! That was cool!

I've heard the only way to shut down the park would be for the city to give back the property. Otherwise, it's in the grant or whatever the document was that it must remain a motorcycle trail for something like 70 more years. I'd love to hear the whole story if anyone knows it. Even with that, it would only make things harder if the neighbors start to complain. The trials bikes are quiet. We had about ten of them out yesterday cleaning up part of the loop and laying out the sections for next weekend. The city is still totally happy with the motorcyclists.

Greg

#247298 - 09/11/06 11:13 PM Re: Any other whole-loop riders? [Re: Greg]
Chappy Offline
TON Member

Loc: Austin, TX
In reply to:

I'd love to hear the whole story if anyone knows it.

I'd like to hear the whole story too. How was the park created? How did they get that amazing property? Is it city property or federal property? When was it done? Who was behind it? I need to send that person a thank-you note!

#247299 - 09/18/06 04:29 PM Re: Any other whole-loop riders? [Re: Chappy]
tracetrimble Offline
Gang Boss

Well, I bought an 01 KTM 250MXC last week, and sold my RM on Saturday, so if the loud bike thing was discouraging anyone... I'm quieter than the XR250 now!

Greg, it was nice meeting you the other day.

Trace

#247300 - 09/19/06 03:13 PM Re: Any other whole-loop riders? [Re: tracetrimble]
ktmlance Offline
Gang Veteran

Loc: Watauga, TX
I sure you are already enjoying the purchase. A night and day difference!!

#247301 - 09/19/06 04:20 PM Re: Any other whole-loop riders? [Re: ktmlance]
tracetrimble Offline
Gang Boss

Yeah it is! The KTM is a little heavier and longer, but everything else about it is better. I was most surprised by how well the single-pivot rear susp hooks up.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Kingham 

Texas Offroad Network
Sponsors & Partners

KTM OF NORTH TEXAS / SLM RACING - 2260 W. Pioneer Parkway - Arlington, TX 76013 - 817-275-2228

KTM OF NORTH TEXAS / SLM RACING - 2260 W. Pioneer Parkway - Arlington, TX 76013 - 817-275-2228

TJ's Cycle - 6208 North Lamar - Austin, TX 78752 - 512.453.6255

TX Toy Sales - 1600 Globe Ave - Fort Worth, TX 76131 - 817.655.0651

TSCEC Website

Texas 4-H Youth ATV Safety Program

The RiderDown Foundation - Helping Riders Up

Texas Offroad Network
Affiliate Programs
American Trails
Locations of visitors to this page
Outdoor Hub