TON Forums | Classifieds | Gallery | Links | Weather | Home   || OEM parts & online schematics || Cycle Gear
TON Logo
Topic Options
#238511 - 06/28/06 06:04 PM new to racing
christa Offline

Loc: TX
Hi there! My 10yo has decided he wants to race. His dad just bought him an "80", not that I know what that means, since it's at his dad's house. We've never been to any races before and don't know where to go. Does he need to be enrolled in classes first? If I bring the bike here to my house, can it sit outside or does it need to be protected from the weather?

My main question is: Where can we go locally to see and/or participate in races? We live in Lumberton, TX.
Thanks.
Christa

#238512 - 06/28/06 06:33 PM Re: new to racing [Re: christa]
pmkkdx Offline
Have map. Will travel!

Loc: Central Texas, USA, Earth (mos...
an "80" usually refers to the size of the engine in cubic centimeters or cc's.

I am not familar with the Beaumont area, so hopefully someone will post up information that is from around there.

what type of racing are you referring to?

time on the bike is one of the best teachers until they get the hang of the operation, if you can find some one that races the style (Motocross, harescrambles, enduro, etc.) of riding you are looking for, they might be able to give some good pointers on technique. I am not familar with any particular riding schools other than at Texas Ski Ranch (south of San Marcos between Austin and San Antonio) offers on occasion, 5 magics I believe is the name of it there.

leaving the bike outside is not a good idea for several reasons. number one, very easy to steal. number two, the sun and UV rays tend to really take its toll on the plastics, seat, cables, tires not to mention rain/hail will rust and corrode moving parts. if you are comfortable on it being secure outside as a minimum cover the bike with a trap to keep the elements off of it. it will last much longer and require less maintenance.

go ahead and get the proper safety equipment (helmet, goggles, boots as a minimum) and make an impression that it is required anytime on the bike. helmet mandatory even if riding around the yard. stick to your guns on the helmet, it can and will save their life at some point in time sooner or later.
(I only have to amuse myself)

#238513 - 07/18/06 03:37 AM Re: new to racing [Re: pmkkdx]
christa Offline

Loc: TX
Hi Marcus,
Thanks for the info. I will definitely get a tarp. I do have a recently purchased storage building. I will try to clean out some boxes and make room for the bike in there. As of now, the bike is still at his dad's.

For anyone else out there: I'd really like to find out the closest place near me to watch and/or participate in races (my son will do the participating; I'll just watch). I am between Kountze and Beaumont, near Silsbee and Evadale. If anyone can tell me where I should go and how I get the information about race times, I'd really appreciate it!

Thanks,
Christa

#238514 - 07/18/06 02:30 PM Re: new to racing [Re: christa]
pmkkdx Offline
Have map. Will travel!

Loc: Central Texas, USA, Earth (mos...
uh, yeah a tarp (not a trap )

I am guessing you are looking at Motocross??? or are you looking at more of the harescrambles type of racing???

there is a National Enduro not to terribly far from you the last weekend in Aug. in New Waverly (south of Huntsville) that you could go meet a bunch of the best folks around to ask alot of questions, see some of the top off road racers and Enduro riders. This event is put on by the Trail Riders of Houston or commonly known as TRH. Most of them are very knowledgable of riding areas around the east Texas area (so you might also post something on the TRH forum too).

Pretty much any of the offroad events have their own little niche of a community that are very supportive and willing to help new people into their type of fun. Also there is a group of female riders that get together with their families usually once a month at various venues around the state that you might also get to know so your child would also have someone to ride with and you would have someone to visit with (might even get yourself involved in riding too ) They have a forum called Team Moto Diva and they are very supportive in getting other women (and girls) involved and are very helpful... just a thought.

I will come back and hook up links to TRH and Team Moto Diva later (and will look to see if I can find a riding area close to your area too).
(I only have to amuse myself)

#238515 - 07/18/06 11:46 PM Re: new to racing [Re: christa]
Fender_Bender Offline
Veteran Lunatic

Loc: Hamilton, Tx
Christa
Here are some clubs you may want to check into. They all are very good clubs that have very nice people that will help with teaching your son. You'll have to catch them out there......

http://www.texasoffroad.net/forum_php/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=dirtbike_msra_public&Number=19310&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=365&fpart=1

http://www.texasoffroad.net/forum_php/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=parks_cycleland&Number=337041&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=&fpart=1

There is a motorcross track some place in Lumberton. I bought a bike from a guy that raced there...
I don't know the name....

Good luck and be sure to get all of gear....

Sheldon
TORCS.....153

#238516 - 08/08/06 07:31 PM Re: new to racing [Re: Fender_Bender]
TWOMORROWS Offline
New Boot

Loc: Houston, TX
Highlands is fairly close to y'all!

Try their site:

HIGHLANDS MOTOCROSS PARK

#238517 - 12/13/06 03:21 AM Re: new to racing [Re: TWOMORROWS]
EnduroRdr Offline
Gang Boss

Loc: Tomball TX
Christa,

Good Idea if your considering making the drive to Highlands (almost to Houston). It is a great track and kid friendly. If your son wants to make friends I have a 10 yo and a 12 yo both ride Yamaha 90s. Both have just started this year. (so no pressure to ride like a pro heh heh) We usually go to 3 palms & 290 mx, just because they are close. But to add variety we will go to Highlands or Cross Creak (almost to Austin). We also ride Sam Houston National Forest.

Your going to find that mx families are great. I grew up riding Enduros, (racing in the woods on trails) Enduros also you will find and make the best friends with other families that often last a life time. I have made several that we still keep up with over 30 years now. Its just good honest fun. (You'll know where your kids are! Not worrying about who they are hanging out with on the corner!)

If your interested, email me and we will meet you at the track, my kids are always ready to make new riding friends. We're taking off for Christmas but they will be roaring to go after new years 2007.

Just do it!

Mike Farris
Tomball TX

#238518 - 12/21/06 07:00 PM Re: new to racing [Re: EnduroRdr]
Dave Offline
AMSA Gang Boss

Loc: Spicewood
Christa, there is going to be a brand new moto complex in Beaumont built by the guy who owns Cowboy Harley. And don't forget to hook up with the great guys in the local club, the South East Texas Off-Road Riders (SETORR). They meet one a month there in Beaumont...check out the forum here on the TON for more info. There are LOT'S of great riding opportunities in Texas if you network with the right folks. Join a club and get involved!

Texas Offroad Network
Sponsors & Partners

KTM OF NORTH TEXAS / SLM RACING - 2260 W. Pioneer Parkway - Arlington, TX 76013 - 817-275-2228

KTM OF NORTH TEXAS / SLM RACING - 2260 W. Pioneer Parkway - Arlington, TX 76013 - 817-275-2228

TJ's Cycle - 6208 North Lamar - Austin, TX 78752 - 512.453.6255

Cycle Parts Warehouse - www.cyclepartswarehouse.com

TSCEC Website

Texas 4-H Youth ATV Safety Program

The RiderDown Foundation - Helping Riders Up

Texas Offroad Network
Affiliate Programs
American Trails
Locations of visitors to this page
Outdoor Hub