TON Forums | Classifieds | Gallery | Links | Home  
TON Logo
Newest Members
JamesBot, RobertUrish, Jamesacark, TrevorTeand, Bford96
23185 Registered Users
Who's Online
0 registered (), 89 Guests and 26 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
23185 Members
50 Forums
38023 Topics
248899 Posts

Max Online: 677 @ 03/29/21 12:24 PM
Search

Bike For Sale
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#230377 - 05/04/06 05:44 AM Re: Converting offroad to Dual Sport [Re: Maladjusted]
xrcajun Offline
TON Member

Loc: Houston TX
In reply to:

In reply to:

He's going to get a new title from the state. She removed the notation on the computer.

The "new" title will not say "offroad"

Exactamundo...

I would just kindly ask them to remove the "offroad only" notation as bike is now "streetworthy".

Sorry for the delayed response. I've been riding...

CJ

YOU'VE BEEN RIDING! (Why I oda)
Thanks I'm going to give that one heck of an effort.
Jim

#230378 - 05/08/06 10:00 AM Re: Converting offroad to Dual Sport [Re: OldMike]
Noonanator Offline
Gang Member

Hey guys, on a related note.
I just got my KTM 450 EXC street legal. I have done this once before with a DRZ 400E. I hit some new snags this time. The insurance co.( Progressive) ran my VIN and said it was "not an acceptable model". I also tried Dairyland( same thing happened). It appears that insurance companies are now rating vehicles based upon what the VIN tells them. Since my VIN said it was not listed as streel legal bike, they could not quote me an insurance premium. Fortunatley my agent found a way to circumvent this and got me a policy. She said the Ins. co. may want to see the certificate of inspection, so I made a copy. She wanted to see it( the certificate) intially, but I explained that without insurance I could not obtain one.
Also had some trouble with getting the title to read street legal. The new Travis Co. courthouse computer program is not set up to handle this type of situation, so the clerk and supervisor had to work hard to make it happen.
Of course all this happened 11th hour as I wanted to be street legal for the KTM adventure ride.
Bobby N

#230379 - 05/08/06 01:12 PM Re: Converting offroad to Dual Sport [Re: Noonanator]
XR650Rocketman Offline
Veteran Lunatic

Loc: Austin / Round Rock, Texas
Thanks for the update Bobby......Maybe Williamson County could be easier to deal with.....Sounds like you guys had a good time in Cloudcroft, as usual.....Bajarat, down in Galveston, was telling me he met you guys up there....Sorry I couldn't make it this year, we were riding up in AZ that weekend.

Steve
68 Honda SS125A
00 Honda XR650R D/S
04 honda XR650R D/S
00 Honda XR250R D/S
02 Honda CRF450
02 KTM 200EXC
82 Super Sport Wife.

#230380 - 05/09/06 03:37 AM Re: Converting offroad to Dual Sport [Re: Noonanator]
OldMike Offline
New Boot

Hey Noonanator,

It's funny the only thing that didn't cause me a problem was insurance. I got a Progressive policy without any questions asked for the DRZ400E!

So I am about to finally go and get my plate. Do I need to actually tell the clerks to have the title read street legal? I am assuming if they give me a plate that it would be street legal?? Can you actually get a plate and have the title still state offroad use?

I was planning on taking the course of action of trying to ask the least amount of questions and just trying to get my plate. With what I have experienced so far, I'm afraid any other questions I ask may cause more delays in this process.

Thanks,
Mike

#230381 - 05/09/06 09:37 PM Re: Converting offroad to Dual Sport [Re: OldMike]
Noonanator Offline
Gang Member

Mike,
each time, I have just handed the offroad title, insurance card and certificate of inspection to the county liscense clerks. They will have you sign an application for title. The new title ( street legal) will be sent in few weeks. They'll charge you a registration fee and new title fee and give you a liscense plate.
When I was trying to get my DRZ plated, the liscense clerk claimed it wasn't do-able. After conferring with her supervisor, they actually came up with the official tx. titling(sp?) manual. It had a section on making a off-road m/c street legal. The procedures were listed and pretty much as discussed in the forum.
Bobby N

Edited by Noonanator (05/09/06 10:17 PM)

#230382 - 05/09/06 10:30 PM Re: Converting offroad to Dual Sport [Re: XR650Rocketman]
Noonanator Offline
Gang Member

"Thanks for the update Bobby......Maybe Williamson County could be easier to deal with.....Sounds like you guys had a good time in Cloudcroft, as usual.....Bajarat, down in Galveston, was telling me he met you guys up there....Sorry I couldn't make it this year, we were riding up in AZ that weekend."

MIssed you at Cloudcroft, Steve, but I'm sure Az. was fun.
We did meet a couple of guys from the Galveston area. It turned out to be an excellent ride. A little dusty at times, so you had to spread out. We rode a few new trails. I think I have covered almost all of the listed trails now. We also meet a guy from Timberon who rides trails and fireroads all over the mountains up there.
At one point, it snowed on us. Thick snow and dust make for a dirty snow fall, kinda strange and cool( literally).
The KTM team gave us a great dinner and slide show and lunch on Sunday. Many thanks to them.
Bobby

#230383 - 04/09/07 09:56 PM Re: Converting offroad to Dual Sport [Re: OldMike]
bjeepin2 Offline

i just did a 06 drz400 in LA just put a light kit on it with a horn and break lights went to the dep sheriff office got a inspection took it to the dmv and got the title changed and a tag.

#230384 - 04/25/07 06:38 PM Re: Converting offroad to Dual Sport [Re: bjeepin2]
Hoop Moderator Offline

Loc: Beaumont TX
Here's what I think you have to have to get an inspection sticker. (This is from memory, please correct me if I'm wrong on anything.)

* Horn. I do not think you will pass with a squeeze-type bicycle horn, I think it has to be DOT.
* Rear View mirror (1)
* Hi/Lo beam headlight. In Texas, you are not required to have a high-beam indicator light, although most kits come with one.
* Rear brake light / tail light / license plate light.
* In Texas, there is no requirement that the tail light has to stay on when the engine is off. (Most of the kits have a battery to keep the tail light on with the engine off.)
* Brake light is required to be actuated by rear brake only.
* Turn signals are not required, but if the bike is equipped with turn signals, they must be functional.
* DOT legal tires. Most non-DOT tires will have a stamp on the sidewall that says "NOT FOR HIGHWAY USE". I have found enforcement of this to be rather lax to say the least.
* Speedo / Odo are not required.
* Liability insurance
* Some place to mount the inspection sticker. Most bike shops will sell you an aluminum plate that goes behind the license plate. Have it already mounted on the bike before you go to get the sticker.
* You have to start the bike, get up to 15 MPH (or something like that), and be able to stop within so many feet. The inspection guy may do it for you, or not. Don't grab too much front brake, I've heard stories about the guy who's bike had been sitting up for a while, he took it in to get it inspected, and went over the handlebars when the front brake grabbed.

Anything else?

#230385 - 04/26/07 02:00 AM Re: Converting offroad to Dual Sport [Re: Hoop]
Tominator Offline
Poet At Large

Hoop, I just got 2 of my KTM MXC/EXC bikes done. Everything you said is correct, except the hi-low beam headlight was not needed. Otherwise, you hit the nail square on the head.

Tom Bailey
Team BFD
KTM 5-sumthin

#230386 - 04/28/07 12:25 AM Re: Converting offroad to Dual Sport [Re: Tominator]
simpson61 Offline

Loc: harlingen, texas
The high/low head light is required unless the bike is less than 250cc.
All inspection should have a manual motorcycle and motor-driven cycle chapter4 page4.
Chapter 4 page 18 head light requirements or this web sight
http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/msb/txmclaws.htm
As far as the paper work needed it all depends on your county and how hard the person behind the
counter wants to make it. You will need the green slip with your inspection.
Just plated a WR450 for my son (he's 14 years old we did a 100 mile loop sunday dirt and pavement don't tell TA2240 i know where he works) it took one hour for the lady to finish all the paper work so be ready.

This is the part of the web sight to look at.
Subch. M. ADDITIONALORALTERNATIVEEQUIPMENT REQUIREMENTS FOR MOTORCYCLES AND MOTOR-DRIVEN CYCLES

TRC ยง547.801.

LIGHTING EQUIPMENT.

(a) A motorcycle, including a motor-driven cycle, shall be equipped with:

(1) not more than two headlamps mounted at a height from 24 to 54 inches;

(2) at least one taillamp mounted at a height from 20 to 72 inches;

(3) a taillamp or separate lamp to illuminate the rear license plate that complies with the requirements of Sections 547.322(f) and (g);

(4) at least one stoplamp that complies with the requirements of Section 547.323(d); and

(5) at least one rear red reflector that complies with the requirements of Section 547.325(b) and may be included as a part of the taillamp.

(b) A motorcycle, other than a motor-driven cycle, shall be equipped with multiple-beam lighting equipment that produces:

(1) an uppermost distribution of light that reveals a person or vehicle at a distance of at least 300 feet ahead; and

(2) a lowermost distribution of light that:

(A) reveals a person or vehicle at a distance of at least 150 feet ahead; and

(B) is aimed so that no part of the high-intensity portion of the beam on the motorcycle that is on a straight and level road under any condition of loading projects into the eyes of an approaching vehicle operator.

(c) A motor-driven cycle shall be equipped with:

(1) multiple-beam lighting equipment that complies with the requirements of Subsection (b); or

(2) single-beam lighting equipment that:

(A) emits light sufficient to reveal a person or vehicle:

(i) at a distance of at least 100 feet when the cycle is operated at a speed less than 25 miles per hour;

(ii) at a distance of at least 200 feet when the cycle is operated at a speed of 25 miles per hour or more; and

(iii) at a distance of at least 300 feet when the cycle is operated at a speed of 35 miles per hour or more; and

(B) is aimed so that no part of the high-intensity portion of the beam from the lamp on a loaded cycle projects a beam higher than the level center of the lamp for a distance of 25 feet ahead.

(d) A motorcycle may not be operated at any time unless at least one headlamp on the motorcycle is illuminated. This subsection does not apply to a motorcycle manufactured before the model year 1975.

Kenny Simpson

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  BIZZZARE, Bobby, Capt.Jack, Hoop, My6 

Texas Offroad Network
Sponsors & Partners

TXTEAMM - 830-612-3607 (cell) 210-912-1516 -- txteamm1@gmail.com width=

Texas Offroad Network
* We Support *

Texas 4-H Youth ATV Safety Program

The RiderDown Foundation - Helping Riders Up
American Trails
Locations of visitors to this page