TON Forums | Classifieds | Gallery | Links | Home  
TON Logo
Newest Members
JamesBot, RobertUrish, Jamesacark, TrevorTeand, Bford96
23185 Registered Users
Who's Online
0 registered (), 68 Guests and 24 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
23185 Members
50 Forums
38023 Topics
248899 Posts

Max Online: 677 @ 03/29/21 12:24 PM
Search

Bike For Sale
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#230367 - 04/27/06 08:31 AM Converting offroad to Dual Sport
OldMike Offline
New Boot

Hi Guys,

Well, I bought my bike a year ago (it was a leftover 2004 DRZ 400E) and then hurt my back. My back is feeling better, so I decided to finally throw my Baja dual sport kit on.

Now, is where I am confused. I went to Motor Vehicle (forget what it's called here in Texas) in the Colony. They were nice, but were not too knowledgeable about how to do the conversion. At first there was some confusion as to how to do it (they started telling me that I needed to get a new Certificate of Origin stating that it was not for off road only!).

They finally told me that I needed to get a white safety form filled out by an inspection station. After I got that filled out then they would give me a plate.

I was feeling pretty happy that I knew what I was doing. Then I went over to Suzuki in Plano, and spoke to them about it. They told me that I needed to bring the white form to a police station, then they would do the inspection. What strikes me as odd about that is that the fields on the form are:

Year,Make, Model, My Name
Motor Vehicle Inspection#, Name of Inspection Station, Date of Inspection, Signature of Inspector.

This does seem like it should be filled out by an inspection station. The Suzuki dealership seemed knowledgeable about this - but what I was told seems wrong.

Can anybody give me the real scoop on how to do this in Texas. The bike is ready to be inspected - I just don't know where to bring it in order to get my plate!

Thanks for any help.

#230368 - 04/27/06 09:41 AM Re: Converting offroad to Dual Sport [Re: OldMike]
dzl850 Offline
Old Boot

Loc: Tomball, TX
OldMike,
I am probably going to get corrected here but I will try and give you a little help.

I just got my CRF450X thru the process. I had a Manufacturers Certificate of Origin which stated "for off road use only", and I had purchased the bike from a dealer in Oklahoma. In my case I had go to the vehicle registration office to apply for a Off Road Use only title. I then went and got my bike inspected (after adding the kit, tires, etc.). You need to make sure and get what they call the "green sheet" from the inspector which is actually a white piece of paper with the inspection info.

Once you receive your off road title, armed with this and inspection paperwork you can go back to the vehicle registration office and re-apply for a standard title. Once that is in the system (48 hours) you can go back and purchase the plate.

After all that is said, I have heard that this does vary according to who you deal with and what county you are in. I have a friend in Harris County that DS'd his KTM and he had to go thru the process you are talking about. Once he had his DS kit on he had to go to the DPS. The DPS has a very specific group that does this type of work, and he had to have them certify the bike. Once that was done, he could then get the bike inspected.

If it was me, I would go to the vehicle registration office and apply for the"off road title". Then verify with them that once that title is received and that you have your inspection sticker you can apply for a standard title. Have them contact their supervisor if necessary. Be aware that different supervisors will provide different information. If you can get it in writing, so much the better.

I have been told that if your MCO is from a Texas dealer and does not state "off road only", you can apply for a standard title and receive your plate all at one time. I am going to try this on my KTM.

Brian

#230369 - 04/27/06 01:26 PM Re: Converting offroad to Dual Sport [Re: dzl850]
OldMike Offline
New Boot

Thanks DZL.

I've been trying to call the DPS, but can't get anyone to answer on the number I found in the phone book. I called a couple of inspection stations around here, and they said they can fill out the white form I got. I guess I will give that a try and see how it goes.

Can't wait to get my plates - this has been a long time coming....

#230370 - 04/27/06 09:02 PM Re: Converting offroad to Dual Sport [Re: OldMike]
ta2240 Offline
Gang Veteran

Loc: Magnolia, Texas
Law Enforcement are not involved in the process at all so the Inspection guy was wrong on that. Also he is the person that fills out the white form/"Green Sheet". After you find an inspection station to give you that sheet after you pass inspection do not go the a County Tax office. Most of them have no idea what to do. I highly recommend going directly to you local State Title office. They have and should know everything. If you have the "Green Sheet" and you current title and inspection then they will give you your plates then.

2013 KTM 300 XC

MSR

KSF Orthopedics

#230371 - 04/30/06 12:47 AM Re: Converting offroad to Dual Sport [Re: ta2240]
Maladjusted Offline
Gang Member

Loc: Longview, TX
Here is my experience... (Gregg County)
Purchased 650R for DS conversion.
- Had bike inspected at local inspection station. Everything good to go. Completed Green Sheet.
- Went to local Tax Office for title change and plates. The young lady behind the counter kindly removed the "off-road use only" notation from the title (at my suggestion) as bike is now suitable for rode use (see inspection sticker...).
- Paid taxes and registration fee(s) and walked out with plates/tags.

Nothing to it.

I know each county will be different because of the people and the amount of experience they have with this sort of thing. If you act like you know what THEY should do, they usually will.
Otherwise, baffle 'em with BS.

Good luck...CJ
TSCEC #303 +40B
'08 KTM 250 XC
Barnwell 1%'er
ROR - Row One Riders - "It's 8:01 somewhere!!!"

#230372 - 04/30/06 07:35 AM Re: Converting offroad to Dual Sport [Re: Maladjusted]
xrcajun Offline
TON Member

Loc: Houston TX
In reply to:

Here is my experience... (Gregg County)
Purchased 650R for DS conversion.
- Had bike inspected at local inspection station. Everything good to go. Completed Green Sheet.
- Went to local Tax Office for title change and plates. The young lady behind the counter kindly removed the "off-road use only" notation from the title (at my suggestion) as bike is now suitable for rode use (see inspection sticker...).
- Paid taxes and registration fee(s) and walked out with plates/tags.

Nothing to it.

I know each county will be different because of the people and the amount of experience they have with this sort of thing. If you act like you know what THEY should do, they usually will.
Otherwise, baffle 'em with BS.

Good luck...CJ

CJ how did she go about removing the notation exactly. It is printed on the title. Did she just white it out or what? I've got two more bikes to do and that sure would speed up the process.

Thanks,
Jim

#230373 - 05/01/06 08:43 AM Re: Converting offroad to Dual Sport [Re: xrcajun]
2fst4u Offline
Gang Member

He's going to get a new title from the state. She removed the notation on the computer.

The "new" title will not say "offroad"

#230374 - 05/02/06 09:18 PM Re: Converting offroad to Dual Sport [Re: 2fst4u]
mick Offline
New Boot

Loc: groves,tx.
is there any way to do sport a bike with no title?

#230375 - 05/03/06 09:05 PM Re: Converting offroad to Dual Sport [Re: mick]
Hoop Moderator Offline

Loc: Beaumont TX
you have to prove it's not stolen, have the police do a VIN search, and trace ownership back to the last title that was issued, or find the MSO, or file for a missing title. Go to the courthouse.

#230376 - 05/03/06 10:47 PM Re: Converting offroad to Dual Sport [Re: 2fst4u]
Maladjusted Offline
Gang Member

Loc: Longview, TX
In reply to:

He's going to get a new title from the state. She removed the notation on the computer.

The "new" title will not say "offroad"

Exactamundo...

I would just kindly ask them to remove the "offroad only" notation as bike is now "streetworthy".

Sorry for the delayed response. I've been riding...

CJ
TSCEC #303 +40B
'08 KTM 250 XC
Barnwell 1%'er
ROR - Row One Riders - "It's 8:01 somewhere!!!"

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  BIZZZARE, Bobby, Capt.Jack, Hoop, My6 

Texas Offroad Network
Sponsors & Partners

TXTEAMM - 830-612-3607 (cell) 210-912-1516 -- txteamm1@gmail.com width=

Texas Offroad Network
* We Support *