TON Forums | Classifieds | Gallery | Links | Weather | Home   || OEM parts & online schematics || Cycle Gear
TON Logo
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#230387 - 04/28/07 05:17 AM Re: Converting offroad to Dual Sport [Re: simpson61]
Tominator Offline
Poet At Large

I stand corrected. I guess I just got lucky... .

Then again, I haven't run a front license plate on my Texas trucks in 20 years, but that's a no-no if you read the book. All passed inspection without it, and I've never been ticketed for it. Again, just lucky I guess.....

Tom Bailey
Team BFD
KTM 5-sumthin

#230388 - 04/28/07 10:40 AM Re: Converting offroad to Dual Sport [Re: Tominator]
simpson61 Offline

Loc: harlingen, texas
Actually you don't even need a license plate to pass inspection just a license plate light. Most cops
I know just use not having the front as an excuse to stop you and most inspection stations do good
to check half of what they should and a lot of what they shouldn't in order to sell you something.

Kenny Simpson

#230389 - 06/19/07 03:50 AM Re: Converting offroad to Dual Sport [Re: simpson61]
EnduroRdr Offline
Gang Boss

Loc: Tomball TX
Hey Mick, To answer your question:
Can you D/S a bike with out a title?

In short no. (at least not without a title) But you can get a title for your bike ease enough. (Then you can do it). Even that bike you scored cheap without any paperwork. (BUT IT MUST NOT BE STOLEN, THEY WILL RUN THE VIN) a bill of sale helps. What you need to do is get a title bond!
Actually we used the title bond method to get plates for bikes in Miss. for the past 20 years. I titled and plated several dirt only XRs or lost titlen bikes where you have no idea who the original owner was. Just do youself a favor and call teh DMV first and ask them to run teh VIN to make sure it was not stollen. In Miss. the bond cost about 50 - 100 bucks depending on the insurance agent. It about 100+ in TX (Shop around). Several years ago when I did it, your title bond simply listed on the Title the information you provided. Yes that's right! In other words If you called it a XR400 or an XL400 they didnt care. As long as you listed a make and model and a VIN. It also did not say "Not for Road Use"

Here is a link on Texas Title Bonds
http://www.lawrenceautotitle.com/FAQ1.htm

Once you get the title bond then just get your insurance, Inspection, and go get your plates!

Edited by enduro (06/19/07 03:57 AM)

#230390 - 12/08/07 05:12 AM Re: Converting offroad to Dual Sport [Re: EnduroRdr]
EnduroRdr Offline
Gang Boss

Ok I did my XR400 in Oct 2008 without a good Tx Title. Title bond was a hassle - It was not so easy like in MS or LA.

But if you already have a good TX title (offroad only) Then getting the plate is not very hard:
See other link:

http://www.texasoffroad.net/forum_php/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=dirtbike_tscec_public&Number=487540&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=&fpart=1

#230391 - 12/09/07 02:30 AM Re: Converting offroad to Dual Sport [Re: EnduroRdr]
DougRoost Offline
Gang Boss

Loc: Austin
In reply to:

Ok I did my XR400 in Oct 2008 without a good Tx Title. Title bond was a hassle - It was not so easy like in MS or LA.

I'm very impressed with your ability to jump ahead in time and do that...should have had them change the law in early '08 to make it easier!

KTM 300 E/XC, changing my oil 7,500 times per minute!
Austin MotoSports Association www.amsaclub.org

#230392 - 12/10/07 04:02 AM Re: Converting offroad to Dual Sport [Re: DougRoost]
EnduroRdr Offline
Gang Boss

It's that XR400! spins me into a time warp!

Kinda like these "off road stickers" we bought in Aug of 07 that are 08 stickers!

Sorry for the typo. Reg the bike in Oct 07 not 08.

#230393 - 02/13/08 03:51 AM Re: Converting offroad to Dual Sport [Re: EnduroRdr]
cland72 Offline

Loc: DFW
In reply to:

But if you already have a good TX title (offroad only) Then getting the plate is not very hard:
See other link:

http://www.texasoffroad.net/forum_php/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=dirtbike_tscec_public&Number=487540&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=&fpart=1

How did you title your XR without a good TX title? I don't have one for my XR4, and I'm about to start the process. Thanks for all the great info!

#230394 - 02/15/08 05:21 AM Re: Converting offroad to Dual Sport [Re: cland72]
EnduroRdr Offline
Gang Boss

I did my xr400 using a title bond (AKA Surety Bond), but in my case I had the original MSO - maybe it helped but probably not. Since it was from another state and was in someone else's name (the guy before the one I bought it from), the DMV lady said this was not helping my situation. She said I need to go get a "Surety Bond".
I submitted it to DMV anyway along with the bond and the other paperwork required.
What's the other paperwork you ask?

If you do not have a title you will need:

1) Form VTR-301 - this one is used to do a pencil tracing of the frame vin.
2) Form VTR-270 - can be used as an alternate if VTR-301 can not be used. ( I think 301 is better since it is a tracing. Your bonding agent will need this to be added in the surety bond paperwork that you take to DMV).
3) Form VTR-470 - Safety statement, when you get your inspection ask for the green sheet (they are actually no longer green) but the inspector should know that you will need an "out of state" inspection. ALSO - Have him also sign VTR-470 and you will have no problem at the DMV regardless which DMV you go to. Some will tell you all you need is a green sheet, yes at some DMV but if you include the 470 then it work at "ALL" DMV locations, - it's free, - use it! Inspections stations vary a lot! find a friendly one! If your Inspector is a "go by the book guy" your going to need DOT tires, and the rest of the stuff I'm listing later down this post. Ask around with the TON guys near you for friendly station.
4) Form VTR-40 - Odometer statement basically just right in a number and be sure to check box 2 that says "Odometer reading is not actual mileage' since its a dirt bike with a resettable odometer.
5) Form VTR-130-SB - This one you will have to get from the Bonding Insurance Agent (pick one) it's going to cost you $150.00 pretty much everywhere I've checked. Yellow pages under "Surety Bonds" or "Bonds - Surety".
6) Form-VTR-130-U You can down load this one and fill it out your self or you can stand in line and let the DMV hand it to you then be sent off to the side of the line while they help the next person in line and you fill it out there and wait some more until they get back to you. (If you don't like hanging out at DMV bring it already filled out so you don't get bumped out of line.)

Usually the hard part is getting your inspection done. For me that was easy, this guy never looked for DOT tires. He ask about blinkers but I was ready and showed him that Texas doesn't require them (Can you say - Custom Harley? Chopper shops all over Texas build them with out blinkers) Texans are very lucky. Thank God we don't have the same laws as California! There are some links below for more on this. But if he looks in the official book that all inspectors will have, all it will say is:
Hi/Lo Beam, Stop light and tail light, Horn (i used a 9v " Mega Horn " - I found one at local bicycle shop)- same as sold by Baja Designs, I have no battery on bike (all the horns I tried would not work on the a/c provided from stator), Mirror (again I use the smallest bicycle one I could find), It also says a License Plate light (clear part in tail light lens) although I didn't have that, I modified stock XR tail light to add brake light (it has an 1157 dual element bulb already you just need to solder another wire on the socket and run it through the rear brake switch), he never ask about clear part. You can get all the brake light stuff for your XR from www.BajaDesigns.com or http://www.procycle.us/main/dskit.htm both friendly places to shop that provide great telephone support help.
Again if inspector gives you trouble, go down the road to another inspector, but don't go to your motorcycle dealer unless your all up to par. They will surely know to look for DOT tires. (not that I advocate using full-on knobbies) Yea right! But in case you were not planning on buying new tires, go to your local neighborhood auto repair shop for the inspection. Or ask other D/S riders in your area for names of friendly inspection stations.

One more tid-bit: Since some time in 2006 the DMV will now use the NADA value for your tax base for a new registration. It doesn't matter what your bill of sale says. I had to pay taxes on 1300.00 value for a 96 XR400 even though I had a bill of sale for 500 (even notarized). The only other way around this is to have a letter from a "state recognized" vehicle appraiser (key work State Recognized) stating the value is other than the NADA. Problem is the inspection costs @ 100-500 dollars is more than the taxes for anything valued under 5 grand. So for your XR400 be ready to shell out another 150 bucks to DMV.
Total cost for me was just over 300 which includes 150 for the surety bond. That is the additional value of getting a good clean Texas title when buying a used dirt bike if you ever plan to plate it. Plus about a day of your time running around getting the surety bond.

Good luck: Let us know how it works out

Here are a couple other links that helped me.
http://www.dot.state.tx.us/forms/vehicle_titles.htm <-- on-line VTR forms
http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/msb/mcintexas.htm <-- DOT motorcycle requirements
http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/msb/txmclaws.htm <-- Other DOT info registration and license requirments
http://www.lawrenceautotitle.com/FAQ1.htm <-- good site with info on title bonds (Although I didn't use this company they have a good FAQ page)

#230395 - 10/27/08 02:21 PM Re: Converting offroad to Dual Sport [Re: EnduroRdr]
islandman Offline

Loc: Kemah, Texas
I wanted to thank everyone for the all the suggestions and knowledge on how the license process works. I plated my CRF450 X last week without any trouble. Now off to Big Bend 11/13/08!

#230396 - 10/29/08 04:21 PM Re: Converting offroad to Dual Sport [Re: islandman]
XR650Rocketman Offline
Veteran Lunatic

Loc: Austin / Round Rock, Texas
Glad the forum was able to help you out Steve. We always are happy to have more D/S riders legally on the roads and trails.

You should come to Big Bend a little earlier and join the annual ride.

http://www.texasoffroad.net/files/554257-TerlinguaDualSport.fly%5C%2708.pdf

It's a great way to experience some of Big Bend with good company and a good time.

68 Honda SS125A
00 Honda XR650R D/S
04 honda XR650R D/S
00 Honda XR250R D/S
02 Honda CRF450
02 KTM 200EXC
82 Super Sport Wife.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  BIZZZARE, Bobby, Capt.Jack, Hoop, My6 

Texas Offroad Network
Sponsors & Partners

KTM OF NORTH TEXAS / SLM RACING - 2260 W. Pioneer Parkway - Arlington, TX 76013 - 817-275-2228

KTM OF NORTH TEXAS / SLM RACING - 2260 W. Pioneer Parkway - Arlington, TX 76013 - 817-275-2228

TJ's Cycle - 6208 North Lamar - Austin, TX 78752 - 512.453.6255

Cycle Parts Warehouse - www.cyclepartswarehouse.com

TSCEC Website

Texas 4-H Youth ATV Safety Program

The RiderDown Foundation - Helping Riders Up

Texas Offroad Network
Affiliate Programs
American Trails
Locations of visitors to this page
Outdoor Hub